Author Topic: question  (Read 3643 times)

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
question
« on: May 21, 2006, 04:53:50 pm »
right now i have a 4" pulley in the back and a 6" in front. I have a spare 3" pulley for the back and a 1 3/4" pully for the back also. I heard if you run anything smaller then a 3 it will blow the trans. I want to get it up to 30-35mph . If i put the 1 3/4" in the back what should i put up front?
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline dynamark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 05:18:18 pm »
what setup are you running ? a transaxle or a kart setup
just wanna sling some sod

Offline nothingtogain244

• View Profile
question
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 05:18:20 pm »
I run a 6 in the front and a 2 1/2 in the back and so far my rear end is alright. You just want to make sure you have alot of blet tension. Also make sure that the belt is touching as much surface area on the back pulley as possible. Try to rig up a idler in the back that makes the belt touch the pulley in the back as much as possible. You may have heard that a small pulley on a hydrostatic trans might blow it.

Offline dynamark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
question
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 05:23:49 pm »
i run a 7in on the motor and a 1/15/16 on the transaxle with no problems it's been two years

Offline coreyk

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
question
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 05:49:27 pm »
its a regular transmission 5 speed. not posi.
Guilford, Ct

Building a mowchine!

Offline tory

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
question
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 08:03:32 pm »
I dont understand why a smaller pully on back would be any differant than a bigger on front,by the time you are done the pinion is spinning the same speed.Your ratio is the same.RPM to tire speed wicth ever way you get there.But if you have any power at all,you may get belt slippage with the small pullys that you would not have with the bigger set up.Just remember if you can go bigger up front,do that then gear the back where you want it.Wont make your trans last any better,but you well have more belt traction.

Offline dynamark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
question
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 09:17:46 pm »
the only thing about a little pully in the rear ,at least on my setup when you cluch the belt wants to slip on the rear pully  i suppos it's because the big one kinda bullys the little one considering it's so much bigger. the only way to make it last longer is to take care of it don't drive it unless your testing or racing ,and that reverse chain will ruin your day i take mine out