Author Topic: Cleaning  (Read 4948 times)

Wheelhorseracer

Cleaning
« on: April 25, 2008, 06:44:34 am »
Since I don't know the history of this old MV18 engine... should I run a can of combustion chamber cleaner through it.. to make sure it's not carboned up? Can you suggest a product?

It run very well.. but I'd like to know it is clean inside..

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 07:12:30 am »
If it is running ok I would not mess with trying to clean out the carbon inside the cc, if it has carbon deposits in it and runs fine then it would probably carbon back up after you clean it.
Bruce Litton

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 07:16:09 am »
I changed the carb from the Walbro with no adjustable high speed jet to an old Kohler with high speed adjustment..

I'm sure the old carb had an internal vaccuum leak as no adjustment could fix the performance of the carb.. and I'm good with these types of carbs..
And it ran really fat before too..

Would maybe a really good run clean out some of the carbon and crap built up from the old carb running poorly?

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:28:07 am »
Since it was running fat, I would say that changing types to one with a high end adjustment will help, just remember to keep it on the leaner side on idle for a while to see if it irons out some of the problems. Something to think about, if the the Kohler carb. you are putting on it has set for a while with no fuel in it then you might want to soak it in some gas, or a chainsaw mix for a while. Sometimes the drying fuel might leave a flaky residue in the idle fuel chamber on the side of the carb. and might give you some fits trying to adjust the air screw for the idle.
Bruce Litton

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 07:32:49 am »
That's a good point... I do think it is a little small that the Walbro that was on it.. The Kohler is a #26 and I'm not sure of the diameter on the MV18 Walbro carb..

I did find it was poping on the top end as I go ton the throttle... at full throttle it seems fine..

I reset the gap on the coil and gave the magnet a good cleaning too..

I just think I need to do some tuning to get the transisition from part throttle to full throttle a little smoother..

I wish these things had shooters like a Holley...

I'm still running old plugs.. so I will swap in a new set this weekend to see if that cleans up some of the pop.. what gap do you guys run on the plugs..

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 08:20:51 am »
I agree about the accelerator pumps on the Holley carbs. When tuning one for tractor pulling we don't need to worry about acceleration, it is either at idle or wide open. I know on mower use they can sometimes have a dead spot when the motor is coming up to high speed. The whole transfer from low speed to high speed fuel circuit thing.
Bruce Litton

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 11:40:42 am »
Carbon dosn't happen as much now as it did in the past, tearing my engines down after 3 years of running revealed on slight build up. engines run as a mower that cuts grass tend to build up, some pretty bad, usually a ring issue as factory tolerances suck. One trick from back in the day is to get the engine operating temperature and squirt water into the carb GENTLY, this will turn to steam and complety clean the combustion area. Used to have a 1973 Thunderbirs that had to have a coke bottle of water every 4 months, it would sometimes knock so bad (from the carbon hitting the head) that I was afraid to drive it. A bottle through the carb as it was good as new. Had a Ford V-6 that blew on one side and when the head came off, it was absoulty spotless. Just do it in moderation
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8