Author Topic: Best pulling tractor?  (Read 27793 times)

Offline TheMowinCuban

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Best pulling tractor?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 02:57:37 pm »
my favorite mower for pulling would have to be a Massey-Ferguson, they have 1/4" thick c-beam frames, and cast iron transaxles with 1 inch axles, and heavy duty steering stock. i myself have a 1960's Massey-Ferguson 8 like the one in the picture, and i don't know what i'm going to use it for yet..
Gotta love a good 'ol Briggs Flathead! :thumbsup:

Offline prieck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2010, 12:07:17 pm »
you cant go wrong with johndeere thats what i use all i did to mine was replace the tensioner spring with a 6 " trapoline spring and never spung a belt

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2010, 07:18:36 pm »
cub cadet is the way to go... no belts to slip proven transaxles... pulled them for alot of years put whatever sheet metal you want on a cub frame and drive train
There's somethin' in the works...

Offline mr.smitty_78

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 09:46:01 pm »
Every One preaches cub pretty much every where and mainly because its less of a headache and there are so much things available that you can build one bullet proof. Now my self I prefer the belt drives there easier to come by for a lower price and there were more produced as not just one or two companies built them. I have 3 Masseys a 70 MF10 a 74 MF12 and the one Im working on now is a 73 MF8 with a Sears Trans Thats been moved back 4in and a Straight cart styyle front axle thats been moved forward 3 in my wheel base is 50.5in. I ve got a front weight bar that gives me an overall length of 72in. Set of wheelie bars with greasable rebuildable dumpster wheels, Grant Steering Wheel,  5in Tach, Custom built gas pedal to match the fuel pedal, Two belts to make gearing easier and help keep the slip stopped, of course an adjustable hitch, Vogel Manufacturing VM09  26x12x12 Professional Pulling Tires on the rear on 12x12 4x8 offset polished VM wheels. Tractor Pan seat, underbelly bar under trans box ect. The same work goes into these asto what goes into a cub and they work well in Stock, modified, 30cube, hotstock, S/A ect Classes. Now when you get into Super stock and Pro Stock all that power is hard to get to the ground due to belt slip. To much power and not enough tension. Im not saying it cant be made work in those classes Im just saying I aint going to throw dollars at one and then have a pretty and loud smoke machine. I build the belt drives for a few reasons there cheap, easy to come by, there still garden tractors and alot came with cast engines, and since I run S/A there Ideal for me and any other poor man out there wanting to have fun be competitive and not break the bank to bad. Where Im at in KY the Masseys Wheel Horses Sears ect. When there set up right pull just as good as the cubs and place and win quite often. But as some said and I did aswell if you wanna build a bullet proof rig then cub has an infinate supply of aftermarket stuff and a large following aswell. Thanks Josh
Josh Smith

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 12:43:13 pm »
im not going to argue with you josh i have seen a belt drive tractor in the 30 cube class in nqs and it quite well... i say cub just because its what my father and i have ever had in anything more than a stock class i had a 110 jd stock class tractor but my stock alt tractor was deere hood and cub frame and fenders painted to match just for the fact of the transaxles... they are tough no denying it... but if you start out with a cub frame and drive system with whatever sheet metal you can keep the same chassis and everything and just keep moving up in classes if one so desires... but for stock classes even thirty cube you ccan make a belt hold but its honestly whichever the builder/owner prefers

Offline flatlanderfornow

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2010, 11:34:50 am »
I like Cubs, but have seen them get beat by belt drives as often as not.  Belt drive rigs are
cheaper to build, easier to re-gear for different track conditions, and if set up right
will pull fine. Older JDs are good, Sears Suburbans work well, also the Customs and SS12, 16, ETC.
Wheel Horses are a good choice as well. If you're going to run a basically stock engine
then any of these could competitive.  Built to the max gas and alky engines would be another story.
Todd Potter
603-922-5269

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 08:15:43 pm »
regearing a cub at the track is not as hard as you think... find the gearset you want for inside the trans and the input gear and bull gear combo is the final tuning they make a couple different input gears that are easy to swap out for different track conditions and you dont have to change the bull gear... but its been said before... it is up to the driver... all have strong points all have weak points... starting out in a slower class not a bad idea at all... belt drives work just fine if you decide you want to move up in classes and want to be up with everyone else at least the cub trans is the way to go... but you would be suprised all the different tractors they can be put in or what sheet metal can be put on a cub frame... we have had a few different styles back in the day... just have to find what is right for you...

Offline mr.smitty_78

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 11:49:12 pm »
I donot recall starting any type of arguement with anyone I was simply stating my oppinion if I gave you the impression I was trying to be smart or trying to start an arguement I appoligize. I was just giving my oppinion as every one else around her usaually does. I simply stated that I like the belt drives because they are cheaper easier to com buy in a lot of areas, and that they were less popular. I also just tried to say that any one can buy bolt on parts and build something to compete with others that aplly the same bolt on parts. I think if you fab something up your self or create something totally different and then go out and compete its alot easier to be proud of something like that than it is to just buy it bolt it up and take it to the track. Just an oppinion but every now and then someone reads to much into stuff and takes offence and if i offended you I am sorry. Josh
Josh Smith

Offline Caudy155

• Turf Warrior
  • Chad Caudy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 11:18:38 am »
no im sorry for any confusion i simply stated i have nothing to argue with belt drive tractors... they can do well not disputing it... i have always had cubs been around cubs and built a few... sorry if i got you worked up... i did not mean anything by it

Offline mr.smitty_78

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 11:33:39 am »
No sweat I wasnt trying to argue neither sometimes discussions in forums and even at pulls seem that way but they are not always as they seem. There are pros and cons of using both different types shaft and belt but there is one common pro to both of them they are both built to have fun with. I completely understand what you mean about cubs being al you have really built and supporting them that is the same with me and the belts thats what I started with simply because I couldnt afford a cub so me and the other belt guys have either figured out a way to make them work or have quit playing pretty much. Any way as I said not problem thanks Josh
Josh Smith

anything