Author Topic: transaxle  (Read 5094 times)

jmoose

transaxle
« on: May 15, 2006, 09:21:46 pm »
I got this mower for free and I wanted to turn it in to a racing mower.It is a 1986 JC Penny mower produced by MTD, it has a 12 hp B&S IC motor that runs like a champ. The thing that I am wondering about is the transaxle it says that it is a 7 speed but it is not.I think they got the gears from belt tension becasuse the gearshifter on the side that has the ranges 1-7 for speed is connected to both the clutch and brake.I has a shifter in the middle to select fwd and rev. Well I was wondering if you can get any speed out of this type of transaxle with basically one gear. Any help would be much appreciated.
Jmoose

Offline jake100

• View Profile
transaxle
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 10:52:11 pm »

jmoose

transaxle
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:38:56 pm »
Thanks Jake looks like there might be hope after all.

Offline dynamark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
transaxle
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 06:30:44 am »
i tryed to toy with one last year the heat will eat the belts up fast i went through 20 or more belts and a Fingertip the way i fixed it was install
a five speed transaxle with a 3in pully on it that way you can in a sence select your finel drive ratio and not create so much heat on the belts
hope this helps

dynamark
just wanna sling some sod

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
transaxle
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 10:52:45 am »
regardless of ratio you select in a 5 or 6 or 3 even the belts turn the same and generate the same amount of heat. What gear you run in doesn't change that!!!
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline dynamark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
transaxle
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 06:21:45 am »
yep gorge your right the heat kills on that set up may/will be better going with a 700 and cart axl i know im building my first with a 700 .transaxles are neat but it's like they say can't put all your eggs in one basket if something lets go your down untill you tear it a part and hope you can find parts. i have a foote 5 speed i had to have the input/output gears made of steel witch was not cheap but it does work better .in saying better i mean i dont move the thing unless i'm racing.all the guys i race with are allways wheelin around and when it comes to the race something breaks. if ive learned anything here it's to take care of your mowchine

thanks dynamark
just wanna sling some sod

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
transaxle
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 07:37:01 am »
Absolutely, if I make a change i run 2 to 3 laps here at hope on the test track then if happy put er up. It isn't a toy it's a race mower. Take care of it it will take care of you. !!!!
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline tory

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
transaxle
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 09:12:38 pm »
Jmoose,     Youre JC PENNY/MTD sounds like a torque converter set-up(the extra f-r shifter is the first clue) and will not hold up to racing condition.Youll have to convert to a transaxle or transmission set up.           Goerge I think dynamark was not refering to pully size as the culprit in eating belts as much as  he was the moving variable pully on the torque converter set-up in his first post.Not that racing is easy on any belt or set-up.

anything