Author Topic: Paul's 2008 FX build.  (Read 54182 times)

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Paul's 2008 FX build.
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2008, 02:16:59 pm »
Paul your ride looks good! You always do a great job. Way to think out side the box. I have won my first two races with my F/X. They drive so much different than the S/P. You gonna love it.
Thanks Scott!  That is what I'm worried about.  My SP drives like a dream and I think this will be a handfull!  Defiantely will be some interesting moments the first time I drive it.

the only thing that looks wierd is how the steering wheel comes out  but you kinda have to do it like that so that theres room on the small mowchines 

soo  you can vent the block with a vent in the OHV cover?

It is that way for many reasons.  The steering just has to be in the original position of the engine in FX.  I moved the seat higher and more foreward than stock for better center of gravity.  I make the bars so high so I could pull on them and move the weight of the mower from side to side if needed.  I also wanted them that high so I had good control of them.  My elbows are up and the bars won't hit my knees.  It also allowed me to have a straight shot for the steering without U-joints/chain/or extra stuff to make slop or steering hard.

I'm thinking this thing will ride simmilar to a snowmobile.  Taking lots of rider input to make the corners, not just sitting back and driving around the track.  I have the boards big enough that I will be able to drive conventionally with my feet in front of me like on a motorcycle, or be able to put them behind my "rear" with my knees bent like I ride my sled.  Once it runs...........well see!

Paul
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2008, 04:12:46 pm »
You could probably vent it out the oil drain plug wit it pointing uphill like that...:lol:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2008, 08:34:18 am »
You could probably vent it out the oil drain plug wit it pointing uphill like that...:lol:

Yes you could!  But I want to know that oil is going to the valves.  Thus the vent in the valve cover!  Should have some fire soon and I'll know if it will be enough.

Paul

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline cubcadet04

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2008, 08:55:01 am »
so you want it to "feel" like a sled with bar risers?   

cant wait to see it go
Western Ontario Outlaws
# 4 supermod

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2008, 10:38:59 am »
Looks great Paul,
I really like your chain tensioner setup. It looks easy to adjust. So far so good!
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2008, 12:42:48 pm »
Paul, you'll like the bars on the wheel, or at least I did.It gave it more of a dirt bike feel and easier steering with the added leverage.Just make sure you sit on it and turn it full right and full left to get the feel of the length of the bars.You will be using the extremes getting around the track and a F/X racers probably uses more counter steering then any other class.
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2008, 07:48:46 pm »
Looks great Paul,
I really like your chain tensioner setup. It looks easy to adjust. So far so good!
Guess I never really talked about the tensioner!  It is 1/4" steel so it won't flex with a 5/16" ready rod for the adjuster.  I run this on my sp and it works great.  Loosen the swivel bolt, adjust the ready rod on the end of the arm, lock the rod and then tighten up the swivel bolt.  Simple and easy!

Paul, you'll like the bars on the wheel, or at least I did.It gave it more of a dirt bike feel and easier steering with the added leverage.Just make sure you sit on it and turn it full right and full left to get the feel of the length of the bars.You will be using the extremes getting around the track and a F/X racers probably uses more counter steering then any other class.
Yea, the bars are a bit wider than I would of liked, but I have the exact same bars on my sled, so it should be O.K.!  My biggest concern was to get them so I could easily go lock to lock.  Quickly!  So I don't hit the hay at 40 MPH!

Paul

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2008, 03:06:20 pm »
IT RUNS!!!!  Fired it up last night.  Ran for a long time with no problmes.  Plenty of oil to the valve train as long as you have the right ammount of oil.

Need to get some more pics.  It is almost done.  Brakes and shileds then it comes apart for paint!

Paul

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline Butcher

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2008, 04:52:25 am »
Have ran and seen them run like this for 4-5 years. Never seen one w/ added bearing on crankshaft. A horizontal block would bolt up to frame or plate easier. Not sure if this block has oil filter, one that does has a boss to tap into oil from pump that can can be piped anywhere (one w/out might). If turning high rpms (with a good balance) 8k+  tap oil to flywheel side crank journal and drill typical provision to rod journal for added lube and cooling to rod. Also might have to tap to valve cover to spray on valve train as "some" in this orientation have had excessive wear in this area. Rate of excel is considerably faster on "most" in a horizontal setup. Your build looks great, might consider slight taper to cylinder and plateu hone w/ light tension rings, check out specs on an animal (can open up considerable top end rpm's).

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 08:54:01 am »

Frame is painted and ready for assembly.  The guy in the pic is Mike Nelson (aka Kramer).  He is my painter and racing partner.  He does some cool stuff!  The color is dark green with prismatique flake over the top.  The hoods will be lighter.

Here is some the cool stuff that Kramer does.  This is his boss' car, owns the local Chevy dealership.  56 Chevy Nomad.  LS7 (yes the 427 corvette engine) and all corvette suspension.  This car had the first LS7 that ran, they beat Jay Leno done!  It went to the Detroit auto show with the GM performance parts devision.  Watch for it on the Hot Rod Power Tour this year!

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 01:51:31 pm »
Pretty slick looking paint job. I assume he did the whole infrared bake job on it too. Much nicer than my $15 rattle can job!
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline outlaw#6

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 07:03:22 pm »
Trying something new and then painting it GREEN! That's asking for trouble! You must not be superstitious.

Looks really nice.
Brian Reis

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 07:55:08 am »
Didn't bake it.  It was warm that day and I was able to let it sit for 48 hours.  He used a harder clear than he normaly would use, so he wanted it to dry slow.

Trying something new and then painting it GREEN! That's asking for trouble! You must not be superstitious.

Looks really nice.

I am a bit, but I just wanted somthing different.  I tell Kramer what color I want and he just goes from there!

Wait untill he gets the tin work done!

Paul

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2008, 12:42:59 am »

DONE!!!!!!!!!!!
Man is this thing awesome.  Wish I would of built one earlier.  Need to get my gearing figured out, but other than that everything else seems to be fine.

Will be fun in Zion and Mendota this weekend!

Paul

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 09:57:33 pm »
Well the experiment worked!   Engine lived through 3 days of racing.  I had troubles with my jackshaft all weekend, but I think I have it figured out.

The thing runs awesome.  Finally finished a race on Sunday and finished 3rd behind Mike Miller and Kevin Penne.

One note.  My handle bars are illegal for USLMRA.  The rule states handle bars may be mounted to the wheel.  Mine are handle bars with a wheel mounted on it.  Talked to Manny about it and he let me run as it isn't a safety issue or a performance issue.  I just missunderstood the rules.  I do feel my set up is safer, as do most people who saw it.  But rules are rules!  And I will follow them!

Paul

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

anything