Author Topic: Paul's 2008 FX build.  (Read 54181 times)

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Paul's 2008 FX build.
« on: April 03, 2008, 12:53:33 pm »
Well here we go!  Been talking about it long enough.  Time to show some pics!  Been building this FX for most of the winter.  Collecting parts and doing my research.  This is entirely EXPERIMENTAL!  Do not try this unless you are willing to take a chance.  I do not know if many of my ideas will work.

I don't have any before pics, but it is a Huffy Broadlawn that I got from Brian G in South Dakota.  I am running a 28 OHV Briggs built by Don G.  I am turning the engine on it's side to avoid using a right angle gear box.

Here are a few shots of the chassis.  I built a new frame out of all new 1 1/4" box iron.  Using a E.C Dist front axle.

The front end is fully adjustable.  So I decided to go with adjustible cassets in the rear.

Here is my set up for my steering.  Not going to use the loop that comes with the EC axle.  Those are not the tie rods I am using.  They are old ones I am using for mock up.  Sorry I don't have a better shot of it!

Next we have some shots of the clutch and jackshaft.  Also the carb and manifold.  The clutch is a Noram clutch that everyone recommends.  I have modified it to run it inboard.  The jackshaft is a piece that I had my local machine shop build.  I is 1" that I had the ends turn down to 3/4" and keyed for the gears.  I did it this way so I could use a bolt in the end of the shaft to hold the gears on and not have to rely on the set screws in the gears.  The manifold I cut with a hack saw and turn it to the position I needed it so the carb would set level.  I used a piece of radiator hose to put it back together.  I am going to run this set up first to see how it runs.  If I need more HP I'll go to a tilly or a mikunni and get a manifold built.  You can also see the 1/4" plate that I used to mount the engine.

This next shot is the bearing and shaft I am using to supprort the flywheel side of the engine.  No I can't tell you what it is made of!  If this works I'll be offering them for sale!  It won't be that long.  I had it made long so I had some extra material to work with.  I haven't decided how I'm going to tighten it yet.  May weld a nut on the end, or have the machine shop mill it so I can put a wrench on it.
Like I said EXPERIMANTAL!

Next are some pics of how it will look once all the tin work is on it.  The hood is mounted.  The seat I just drilled and am bolting it to the frame.  It needs to come off for maintenace.  The fenders will hold the fuel tank and pump.  Not sure how I'm going to finalize them yet.

Currently working on getting my handlebars mounted and getting my chain tensioners done.
More pics later!

Paul

Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline hotrodmower16.5

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Paul's 2008 FX build.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 01:07:34 pm »
Nice looking build! I have just one question, Do you think there will be oil lube issues with the motor setting like it is?
If you cheat and win................you haven't won anything at all.

If you cheat and lose.....................well, then your just a looser!

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 01:12:14 pm »
That is the $1000 question.  I have done some things internally to help with this.  My only concern is the valves, but I have an idea for that too.

No I ain't telling either!

Well, possibly if it works!!!

Paul
Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline woody7800

• Turf Warrior
  • If UR not on DA edge, UR takin up 2 much room!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:15:21 pm »
Very forward thinking! I like the engine on the side. I hope it works out well. Keep us posted.
I have done so much, with so little, for so long, that I can now do anything, with nothing, all the time!

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:21:59 pm »
This is a very interesting build so far. I too am extremely intrigued about the engine laying on it's side. I'm assuming you're using some sort of pressurized oil pump system? So far it looks fantastic. My only concern is that your carb looks like it'll be running mighty close to the ground, which could mean it gets destroyed by rocks and debris. I assume you're going to have some sort of skid plate for that area?

Anyhow, too bad I already completed my FX because if running the engine on the side like that works out, it sure would make things less complicated when it comes to having to use a gear box inbetween. Great job so far!
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 01:29:40 pm »
The carb sits higher than it looks.  It is about 6" off the ground.  The engine will hit the ground before anything else will.  I may build a skid plate for that, but don't know yet.  The carb will be fine.

No external pump.   It is my backup plan though!

As to the timing of this post, well, even if I had it done I wouldn't of told untill now.  Wanted to let guys get thier stuff built before I released mine.  I do know of a few other FX's that will be this same configuration!
Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline hotrodmower16.5

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 01:54:27 pm »
You gotta let us all if the engine on its side works or not, I'm like you the only problem I see is the valves not getting enough oil, Still I really like the idea!!
If you cheat and win................you haven't won anything at all.

If you cheat and lose.....................well, then your just a looser!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 03:31:44 pm »
The engine will/does work at that angle. Oiling is not an issue even up to 7800 rpm's. We got one on a kart been running all last season in an unlimited class. Whooping them when he can get the tires to hook up.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 03:43:24 pm »
The engine will/does work at that angle. Oiling is not an issue even up to 7800 rpm's.

Again- I wish I had known about that prior to building mine.Oh well. I guess if you think about it, the oil slinger is in the bottom corner of the engine positioned that way. So I suppose it would still function in the same way.

BY the way Paul,
That's one cool looking Vette' in the corner. I've been wanting to get a late 70's Stingray for years but my wife says my 55' Merc would have to go first. What is that? a 77-80 model? I've been looking at a few out here in CA, and since the models after 74' had smog equipment, you can pick these up for $4,000 or so. Anything 73' and older is a heack of a lot more. Anyhow, sorry for going off topic. Just thought I'd mention it.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 03:47:03 pm »
Paul, How do you drain the oil with the engine tipped that way?
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline Dylan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 03:48:43 pm »
i like!!!

looks pretty cool... just curious to know how youll get the oil to all the places it needs to be!
Dylan
03 Modified

www.westernontariooutlaws.com

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 04:40:33 pm »
Is the crankshaft mount a neccessary part of the mounting equation...?

Wouldnt just the pan mounts hold it in line without the chance of crankshaft missalignment...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 05:39:49 pm »
On the kart the pan is all that holds it on. And the oil slinger which is still in the oil at that angle does just fine. It doesn't run any other oiling system.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Dylan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 06:51:32 pm »
so its a stock block with nothing done for oiling and it works fine?
Dylan
03 Modified

www.westernontariooutlaws.com

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 07:02:56 pm »
The vette is Dad's.  It is a '76 but the engine isn't stock!  He bought it becasue it was cheep and he always wanted one.  Needs a paint job.

Paul, How do you drain the oil with the engine tipped that way?
Don't know yet!  Planning on just tipping the mower on its side so the engine is sitting normal.

so its a stock block with nothing done for oiling and it works fine?
Well not exactly.  I've done some drilling and grinding.   Venting will change for sure.

Is the crankshaft mount a neccessary part of the mounting equation...?

Wouldnt just the pan mounts hold it in line without the chance of crankshaft missalignment...

Didn't want to take that chance.  That is a lot of weight hanging off that plate and you know how those things shake when you take out the syncro balance.  My fear was ripping the mounting feet off the pan.  It also adds structure to the frame.  I may add another to the PTO side if I break a crank.  As for the missalignment that is why I used a pillow block bearing, they are a little forgving, but yes the bearing needs to be shimmed for proper alignment.  The bearing block has slotted holes so front to back alignment is easy, but the up and down is a bit of a trick!.

Got more parts today, so if I get my brake soon there may be fire next week!

Paul

Paul Krueger

Easy Parcheesy Racing

anything