Author Topic: Porting questions  (Read 36683 times)

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Porting questions
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 04:40:01 pm »
You're right, I know I was really stubborn when I was younger. If I had done what everybody told me back them I would not have learned as much or experienced the thrill of building it myself. Thousands of dollars and 20 years later I have learned a few lessons, I just try to help the next guy when I can.
Bruce Litton

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 05:24:14 pm »
Yeah I understand but being one of those "cant afford for somebody to do it" people just kinda of forces you to learn and get good at it.
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 06:13:14 pm »
Outlaw there is one general rule of thumb to follow that an engine guy I know has told me several times. He has owned his own shop for many years. He has built everything from 5hp briggs to alchol blower motors. The advise he always has given me is your port should be able to be 80% of you valve size and no bigger or velocity will be lost and low to midrange performance will suffer. I just got done with a 16hp that a friend of mine has put together. He has stock size stainless 1.380 valves, 3 angle valve job, stiffer springs and a cam and carb from Chuck Vogel. His port sizes are right at the 1.0-1.1 size both intake and exhaust. Sure you can make the ports bigger but the valve is were it all eventually goes thru. The exhuast port on a 16hp is deceiving as well. That big 1 1/4 pipe thread is not how big the port should be. I have had excellent results with a pipe nipple threaded in and cleaned up to make the port the "correct" size then use a bolt on flange. The engine we built is a stock stroke 3.812 bore. Its just a stock altered based engine with exception of the cam. Its a .432 lift. I will have to agree with Big daddy about you valve sizes being to big. Your engine will run with what you have but depending on you camshaft as soon as your engine gets pulled down at the end of the track and get close to your cams beginning power range its all done. If your ports are to big your engine wont have ANY midrange pulling power.

My .02

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 06:16:18 pm »
Okay I see what you are saying... I guess since I am starting to build my own because I cant afford someone else to build them it's just a R&D thing for me. I greatly appreciate the help from you guys on this matter. I will post pics of my ports when I get done with them.

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26:00 am »
Just curious, but what type of class are you building an engine for? What are the limitations i.e. fuel, carb., bore-stroke, etc.
Bruce Litton

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 08:29:22 am »
Engines (except Modified class)

1.  Original HP limited to class being entered.
2.  Stock stroke, however bore may be a maximum of .050 oversize.
3.  Must be a lawnmower or lawn tractor engine. (factory design)
4.  Any type of oil pump allowed.
5.  No pressed steel cranking pulleys allowed.
6.  Must have an engine kill switch at rear of tractor within 6" of center.
7.  Exhaust must be directed upwards away from track.
8.  Must be naturally aspirated and must use a factory type carburetor.
9.  Must use original engine manufacturers carburetor, recast allowed.
10. Overhead valve engines may be run in any class.
11. Overhead valve engines will not be considered legal if the same engine, relative to design and displacement, is labeled by the manufacturer at a higher HP than the class being entered.
12. In Kohler engines where the cylinder casting is common to several HP's, it may be bored or sleeved to meet bore size for class being entered.

So bassically we can bore it, port it, use recast carbs from midwest or lakota ect... , put the big valves in it, use the billet cyl. heads, billet rods, the steel flywheels.
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 09:42:31 am »
which Kohler block are you using, which carb., and what size flywheel are you using?
Bruce Litton

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 12:27:03 pm »
IM using a k241, #26 carb bored out, and I am not sure on the flywheel yet...
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 02:08:56 pm »
One rule of thumb that is constant for all stock stroke engines, wether it be the 2.75" or the 3.25" stroke
 you will want to use the heavier starter type flywheels. The shorter stroke engines have trouble building enough torque and the big flywheel helps them out. Be careful of boring out the backside of the carb., if
you get it too thin on the casting it will break during use.
Bruce Litton

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2008, 02:17:50 pm »
One rule of thumb that is constant for all stock stroke engines, wether it be the 2.75" or the 3.25" stroke
 you will want to use the heavier starter type flywheels. The shorter stroke engines have trouble building enough torque and the big flywheel helps them out. Be careful of boring out the backside of the carb., if
you get it too thin on the casting it will break during use.

Cool, thanks for letting me know that! So, what would you say a 20# flywheel? Or what weight should I use?
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline Big daddy

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2008, 03:25:39 pm »
If you are using a good steel crank then 22-26lbs, I would not recommend using a cast crank if you plan on turning this motor very hard. Also if there your venturi limitation are 1.200" and you want the cheapest way to go then I would get a carb. off of an 18hp. single cylinder. They are a little bigger on the backside than the rest. If you can find one, some areas they are getting rare.
Bruce Litton

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 06:52:58 am »
This is the porting I did on my K-181 Kohler for pulling.. I basically blended the area from under the seat to match the seat diameter, I rounded the area wear the guide met the floor of the port, and I took out the casting flashes...

Don't touch the short side radius..maybe just clean the casting flash... but don't alter the height.. these engines don't have much to begin with..

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 08:29:05 am »
Hey,
Looks good thanks for the pictures! Those will help! I think I am going to practice on some Briggs blocks I have before I go off messing up kohler blocks. These kohler k-SERIES are getting harder and harder to find around me.....

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 03:40:19 pm »
Just down the road from my is a tractor wrecking yard.. he has a few hundred tractors back there... this is where I got my K181 to replace the blown up one that came with the tractor..

I'm pretty lucky.. he has a bunch of 10 to 18's back there...

I live in Southern Ontario Canada

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 03:52:47 pm »
Yeah you are pretty lucky... Here in North Carolina kohlers, cub cadets , and wheel horses are becoming harder and harder to find... Thats why everytime I come across a 10-16 hp kohler block for a deal I'll buy it. Same thing with old tractors.
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

anything