Author Topic: Hey, this is cool  (Read 14924 times)

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Hey, this is cool
« on: February 24, 2008, 12:19:59 pm »
Who's to thank for this. Rocky?.

Heres my puller. This is last season. This season will be alot better. New G-Team cam for my oppo. I had a billet steel flywheel made for it. Offset ground 42 crank, bearing inserts in the stock rods. Port and polish, stock intake with a reworked stock big carb. Crank trigger ignition. I regeared the cub transaxle again. It still wasn't fast enough. (wheel speed). Also have a new hood and dash panel I am putting on it. I worked with Don alot on the oppo engine. I taught him some stuff and learned alot from him. My engine would'nt be what it is now if it weren't for Don. Later in the season after some shakedown runs with Dons cam I will be giving him some feedback and R&D info on his "puller" grind. It looks great & has a ton of overlap for those high rpm pulls down the track. My goal with this engine is 6000rpm every pull, all season. That should get a points championship for '08.

Dennis

Thanks Don.

I pull with Judgement Day Pullers. We're in Pierson Michigan, we pull at a bunch of fairs and festivals and also have a home track. The website is being updated but here it is if anyone wants to check us out.

www.judgementdaypullers.com
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Re: Hey, this is cool
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 07:04:13 pm »
Well... if you're suggesting because you found G-Team on a search engine... Yep! That would be me!! Some folks make @55 kickin mower engines for fun, I make web sites found on the search engines against very long odds. I'm actually good enough at it, that I teach a college course on the topic, and many of my students have placed very well there, even with their class projects. Presently there are 4 sites I'm involved with in the top 20 out of 120,000 results for lawn mower racing on Google. Three of those are already in the top 10, and the 4th. could be put there very easily, it's just a matter of time to make it click, it'll go.

If it's because I prodded Don to build an opposed and put the gears in motion long before the CP class was announced... Yeah I'm guilty there too!! Found that 20 hp rated 46 CID on Google and said, "I gotta get me one oh deez!"  :D  Don performed the miracles, I just suggested it would be really cool!! Then USLMRA created a class for them, which I had nothing to do with, it just happened at the right time.

I'll be doing an opposed twin page for G-Team shortly Dennis, keep me aprised of any trophies you pick up, and try to get us some good pictures, maybe it's time I got G-Team found for "lawn tractor pulling" too, and do a page specifically for the Pulling end of G-Team Racing.

And, yes Robert I know I gotta get your's and Tim's up too!!

Offline Tom Cole

• Administrator
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:13:45 pm »
I added the puller section this morning.
My other sites:
Visit Heymow on  Facebook!
http://www.legendsracer.com   Legends Car Racing forum.
http://www.wattcycles.com      Electric Bicycle forum.

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 06:59:16 pm »
Well... if you're suggesting because you found G-Team on a search engine... Yep! That would be me!! Some folks make @55 kickin mower engines for fun, I make web sites found on the search engines against very long odds. I'm actually good enough at it, that I teach a college course on the topic, and many of my students have placed very well there, even with their class projects. Presently there are 4 sites I'm involved with in the top 20 out of 120,000 results for lawn mower racing on Google. Three of those are already in the top 10, and the 4th. could be put there very easily, it's just a matter of time to make it click, it'll go.

If it's because I prodded Don to build an opposed and put the gears in motion long before the CP class was announced... Yeah I'm guilty there too!! Found that 20 hp rated 46 CID on Google and said, "I gotta get me one oh deez!"  :D  Don performed the miracles, I just suggested it would be really cool!! Then USLMRA created a class for them, which I had nothing to do with, it just happened at the right time.

I'll be doing an opposed twin page for G-Team shortly Dennis, keep me aprised of any trophies you pick up, and try to get us some good pictures, maybe it's time I got G-Team found for "lawn tractor pulling" too, and do a page specifically for the Pulling end of G-Team Racing.

And, yes Robert I know I gotta get your's and Tim's up too!!

Rocky,
That would be awsome if you could get G-Team racing into pulleing for the opposed! I am starting to build a cub cadet to run an opposed too....

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 07:36:44 pm »
I think Dennis has got Don going on that already, he's worked up a couple of special grinds for pulling engines. What he'll look at in addition to that I don't know, but he has mentioned looking toward pulling on the opposed because it is a well liked engine in that sport.

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »
Just wait Outlaw. The Opposed will have some parts and some "budget combonations" if you will. I pick up my rods on friday. I had some bearing inserts put in them. It took a month with some playing around and looking at a few old fedral mogul books to find a bearing that would work without too much work. I did find a bearing and we will see how it works. I will be beating the snot out of my opposed this summer. I have never heard or seen one that is modified at our track or at the two other clubs I make an apearance at from time to time. We will see how it works out. My flywheel is a one off piece. I know what I have into it but I dont know if my machinest will make another one. It is real close to 30lbs. Think of all that rotating mass at 5800-6000rpm. Then think about the 42 cubic inches turning it. I honestly think the opposed will be a killer pulling engine when the "bugs" are worked out. My opposed last season would turn 4800 flat out. It just ran out of air with the stock cam. A little R&D on Dons "puller" grind and I will let everyone know how it runs.

I recommend to you Outlaw to purchase Dons opposed twin dvd. It has got alot of info in there that your puller engine will benifit from.

In my club Outlaw the season champ in my class the last 3 years running has a 14hp kohler on gas with all the goodies in it. .340 lift cam, billet rod and flywheel. Guess what, my stock, no internal mods off of the governor opposed twin beat the kohler a few times. If your running a cub I can give you some gearing options as well. I ran a 21-23 last season and it wasnt fast enough. I am changing to a 23-25 this year.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:21:10 pm »
Just wait Outlaw. The Opposed will have some parts and some "budget combonations" if you will. I pick up my rods on friday. I had some bearing inserts put in them. It took a month with some playing around and looking at a few old fedral mogul books to find a bearing that would work without too much work. I did find a bearing and we will see how it works. I will be beating the snot out of my opposed this summer. I have never heard or seen one that is modified at our track or at the two other clubs I make an apearance at from time to time. We will see how it works out. My flywheel is a one off piece. I know what I have into it but I dont know if my machinest will make another one. It is real close to 30lbs. Think of all that rotating mass at 5800-6000rpm. Then think about the 42 cubic inches turning it. I honestly think the opposed will be a killer pulling engine when the "bugs" are worked out. My opposed last season would turn 4800 flat out. It just ran out of air with the stock cam. A little R&D on Dons "puller" grind and I will let everyone know how it runs.

I recommend to you Outlaw to purchase Dons opposed twin dvd. It has got alot of info in there that your puller engine will benifit from.

In my club Outlaw the season champ in my class the last 3 years running has a 14hp kohler on gas with all the goodies in it. .340 lift cam, billet rod and flywheel. Guess what, my stock, no internal mods off of the governor opposed twin beat the kohler a few times. If your running a cub I can give you some gearing options as well. I ran a 21-23 last season and it wasnt fast enough. I am changing to a 23-25 this year.

Dennis

Dennis,
Everytime I here good news I jump up and down.... :)... I think it's a great thing you have found and that Don has put to work... I think you and Don Deserve a big THANK YOU!

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 09:46:53 pm »
Aw jeez Outlaw I feel all fuzzy inside.LOL. But really no thank yous neccesary.
I am just on a mission to beat the norm (kohler) with an engine that is labled as a boat anchor. Don was on the same mission when he put his first one together for his CP championship. He is still on the mission but he's has stepped up the anti with some new billet rods and other parts. I have learned an incredible amount of knowledge from all the key players on this forum. All the big guys on the forum need a thankyou not just Don. Granted he got the oppo on the map for the roundy round guys but alot of people chimed in on it. I have worked alot with Don on the oppo. More than alot of people know. I wouldn't trade it for anything, thats what makes this hobby so much fun. Racing too for the guys that race. I can't wait to open the can of beat down my oppo is going to bring to the track this summer.

Dons not running an insert bearing setup as far as I know. He is running a "stock" rod, thats all I will say about his setup.  :D Dons engine build is all his own design inside. A crankcase will hide alot. ;)

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 10:10:09 am »
I'm sure the G-Team CP will be running the new G-Team billet rods this season. Last season there were no bearings in it, it was a stock Briggs rod, designed for a different engine, modified slightly to work in the opposed.

Offline Toad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:58:40 am »
 Thanks for adding the pulling section.
 I tried to add the pictures of my tractors but they said they were to large so will try again.
 Hope there will be more people useing the pulling section.

Need more horse power

Offline Cub Puller

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:40:48 am »
I currently pull a Cub Cadet 128(12 hp Kohler) in stock class here in Asheville, NC area.  Was given 2 B & S IC 42ci flat twins(flatheads), 18 hp.  Am considering replacing the Kohler with the better of the 2 B & S to initially pull in 1450, 1550, 1650 lb stock classes and maybe later modify to run in hot stock or modified classes.  Any thoughts, ideas, appreciated.       

Doug. May  :3gears:
Doug.
retired USAF
soon to be retired ABF Freight System shop supv.
Pull Cub Cadet 8 hp and Cub Cadet 12 hp

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 10:48:47 am »
Thanks for adding the pulling section.
 I tried to add the pictures of my tractors but they said they were to large so will try again.
 Hope there will be more people useing the pulling section.

Check out the Thumbnailing Images on the Board, and the Photobucket Tutorial on Thumbnailing Images threads here Toad -- http://www.heymow.com/index.php?board=30.0

Pretty simple process and it allows you to use the larger images. Much cooler method of doing things than resizing them to meet forum size requirements, and it's way easier on dial-up users.

Rereading your initial question up there Dennis, I now suspect you were questioning who to thank for the Pulling Section?

Well... there was discussion of pullers on the board in the backroom awhile back, I told the guys how much input you had on the G-Team Opposed, George said you guys were in fact racers, you just raced against weight and time in a straight line. We all agreed you guys do have a lot to offer our end of the sport as well, and Tom Cole at ARC, our host here on the forum, decided to give you your own section on the board. Have fun with it guys!

Offline Toad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 12:16:14 am »
 Thank you I will try that .
Need more horse power

Offline Toad

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 01:32:55 pm »
Has a stock 18 horse briggs
Sorry the one aboved has a 440 John Deers snowmobile engine and a cub 3 speed rear end.
It is under powered for the class we run but still fun to drive.

The black tractor has the stock 18 briggs.
Need more horse power

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 09:18:44 pm »
Well Rocky I really appreciate the forum section for the pullers to chat about what we do best. Thanks Tom for adding the section here on Heymow. George its great to know you think of the "pullers" as racers. It is a whole differnet world but the general outcome were all going for is the same. To have alot of fun and to hopefully bring home a trophy. I enjoy it alot especially when the rest of my pulling team is with me. My son Samuel and my daughter Hannah. They both have there own tractors. Hannah drives the cub with the built opposed on it, Samuel runs the little Craftsman with a 28 on it.

Dennis.

Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan