Author Topic: ATTENTION: TOM OR GEORGE-info on 28CID rod  (Read 5566 times)

Offline TomC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
ATTENTION: TOM OR GEORGE-info on 28CID rod
« on: October 30, 2005, 09:20:05 pm »
ATTENTION: TOM OR GEORGE
Post by moweracer227 on Oct 3, 2005, 5:11pm

Guys, Need some info on your 28CID rod. Looking at building 4 identical engines. Going to balance the complete setup. Crank, rods, pistons, flywheel and etc.
Will be purchasing 4 rods in the near future for this winter time project now that racing season as come and gone here in Michigan. What I would like to know is:

1. The overall weight in grams of the rod with bolts and bearings
2. Would like to balance all 4 rods to same weight. Where is the best place to remove small amounts of material if needed.

Thanks for the info.

Don

Re: ATTENTION: TOM OR GEORGE
Post by Tom on Oct 4, 2005, 7:35am

We are in the process of making Brass counter weights that will replace the syncro weights. You will remove the escentric journals from either side of the existing counter weights and these fit right into their place. The idea is to put everything into balance.

I'll get the weight of the rod posted today. If your second question is inquiring about removal of material from the rod, I really don't think that is a good idea.

Tom

Post by George Herrin on Oct 4, 2005, 7:49pm

I second that, the rods are excellent pieces and simply a work of art. Also removing ,aterial from the rod deminishes the integrity/durability of the rod. Do not do this.
George

Post by moweracer227 on Oct 4, 2005, 9:22pm

Tom/George

Not that I wanted to grind away at a billet rod anyway. Was just wondering say for instance that 3 out of 4 rods weight 1300 grams, but the 4th weights 1320 grams could a person safely remove 20 grams to equal the weight of the other rods and if so were is the best place to do this on a ARC rod.

Moweracer227

Post by Tom on Oct 6, 2005, 12:07pm

It is 277 grams. There won't be more than a 1 gram difference between the rods. I have never even seen a half of a gram difference.

The best place to remove weight, would probably be the underside of the piston.

Post by moweracer227 on Oct 6, 2005, 3:52pm

Thanks Tom for the info.

Post by Mowerpar on Oct 7, 2005, 2:36am

how would the brass counter weights attach to the crank?

Post by Tom on Oct 12, 2005, 8:26am

Oct 7, 2005, 2:36am, Mowerpar wrote:
how would the brass counter weights attach to the crank?

You pop off the eccentric lobes on both sides of the crank, and these press on (slip fit) using the existing dowel pin. They pick up the contour of the existing crank counter weights, and the sidecover and block keep them from coming off by sandwiching them close enough where they can't come off the dowels.

They are made of brass because it is heavier than steel by volume so it keeps their size down. It looks cool too, but only us gear heads care about that!

Post by mowindown on Oct 12, 2005, 3:14pm

Does anyone know what the Briggs & Stratton part number for the 28 cubic inch crank with the removable eccentrics and is this the best crank to use in built engine. I have heard about cutting the eccentrics off and balancing the crank is that better the the removable eccentrics and/or the brass weights?

Post by George Herrin on Oct 12, 2005, 9:11pm

the part number is 693944
George

anything