Author Topic: Carbs and Cams  (Read 4691 times)

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Carbs and Cams
« on: January 28, 2008, 07:00:06 pm »
Needing a little help on cam and carb questions here...

Cam questions....

Is it better to have more lift or more duration? Or both? Now is it good to have a really big high lift cam and alot of duration or a lot of lift with less duration OR alot of duration with less lift??? It's all toooooo confusing....

Carb questions.....

Is it better to bore a carb out to flow more air or is it better to match the port TO the CARB and not have to bore out the carb and just mess with jetting and such?? Im still trying to decide which one would be better to do and was just wondering what you guys think is the better option here?

Thanks,
Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: Carbs and Cams
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 08:01:18 pm »
All depends on application and what ya want or are looking for. Basically what it boils down to is trail and error and personal prefferance. If I remember correctly you said you weren't racing you were pulling. Wrong site for that info most here are racers yet I believe we got a few pullers that dabble here a bit. Maybe they will chime in.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 08:17:11 pm »
George, Yup im pulling... Didnt know if you would know what a good cam would be for 150 foot pull distance?
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 02:55:13 pm »
Hey Outlaw. I know my personal preference on cams for kohlers but I would recommend calling Chuck Vogel@ Vogel Manufacturing. He always has the latest and greatest cam grind. He grinds them himself wether it be a cast build up or a billet steel piece with an adjustable gear. My stepfather runs one of Chucks grinds in his 14hp Kohler. It is a .340 lift 277 duration stock altered grind on a cast cam. I'm sure he probaly has something a little better now but that cam is awesome in his 14hp. it will run 6800-7100 in his engine.

In a pulling engine I look for a cam that is going to make power where your gear ratio is going to be used at. RPM versus wheel speed. In a open rpm engine you want the engine on the moon for as long as it can be and the tractor going as fast as it can but you half to have a happy medium for when you get to the 140ft mark on your track. To fast and you'll get the engine under the cam and its all over. To slow and you'll be over revving and not making good use of your power plant.

Dennis
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

Offline outlawmower

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 03:09:41 pm »
Flatheadpuller,
I see what you are saying... I will call Chuck and see what he has there is also a guy that pulls out our track and he has a cam grinder out the bussiness he owns and he will grind any cam for $100..... I'll see what I can dig up....

Outlaw
PUT YOUR GAME FACE ON!!!