Author Topic: The 2nd annual King of the Hill. (Talladega Nights)  (Read 43095 times)

Offline michael a. formentini

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
The 2nd annual King of the Hill. (Talladega Nights)
« on: December 20, 2007, 03:18:37 pm »
The 2nd annual King of the Hill. Saturday, March 1st, 2008. We will be on the high banks of the Talladega Short Track. Gate fees are $5.00, pit $10.00, and race entrance fee will be $5.00. We will be racing for trophies, 1st through 3rd place. The classes we will run are Super Stock/IMOW, Sportsman/SP MOD-X/CP will be one class. Super Sportsman/BP, and PRO-X/FX. Build rules for the US. and ARMA. will apply. In IMOW we will not check for the 16 1/4" tall rear tire, but rear tire must be no larger than a 16" tire. Do to all of the karts, Mini Late Models, Late Models, Sling Shots we will not be able to open up to all of the other lawn mower classes. We are looking at 300+ racers as it is right now. As more details come about I will get them posted.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: The 2nd annual King of the Hill. (Talladega Nights)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 08:27:42 pm »
Count eam TN in. Gotta love that speed regardless of when we get done.... We will have Larry's 16 foot trailer with heat, we will set up a table play cards bring food and eat heck we will have agood time. EVERYONE come on out and race.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 06:29:04 am »
Mike, are the classes that are running together being scored as one class or individual classes that are just running on the track at the same time?

In other words will the super stock being competeing against the sportsman...?
Or even a more important question, will my itty bitty one lunger be trying to keep up with your power packed v-twin, (pro-x vs. super sportsman)?

I barely make it around the track now with the adult stock....  :tard:
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 07:26:06 am »
Mike, are the classes that are running together being scored as one class or individual classes that are just running on the track at the same time?

In other words will the super stock being competing against the sportsman...?
Or even a more important question, will my itty bitty one lunger be trying to keep up with your power packed v-twin, (pro-x vs. super sportsman)?

I barely make it around the track now with the adult stock....  :tard:
No. The only classes that will be running together is Sportsman and MOD-X. Do to the speeds that you can run at Talladega, An OHV doesn't have an advantage over a flat head. They will be scored as one. I'm considering the idea of letting the prepared classes using slicks or not. So lets take a pole. In favor or not in favor of using slicks in the prepared classes.

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 11:48:51 am »
No. The only classes that will be running together is Sportsman and MOD-X. Do to the speeds that you can run at Talladega, An OHV doesn't have an advantage over a flat head. They will be scored as one.

Thanks Mike, that makes sense, I misread the first post.

As far as running slicks, I have never been there before so I don't know the track conditions.If slicks would give a definate advantage then it would be a definate disadvantage to those who could not afford them for this event.

Hmmm,I think that if I do race this event I will stick with the tires I have on there now and save my money for going to other events.I'll just take my chances you might say. I wouldn't be using them at our local tracks or any of the National tracks I have been to yet.
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 12:56:26 pm »
Let them run slicks..... I for one do not want to run the speeds I am capable of using mower tires....  PLEASE!!! Leave that option open for these high speed tracks.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 12:59:38 pm »
Ted theres not really a grip advantage the advantage is safety for the SUPER SPORTSMAN. Slicks are high speed rated and are much safer. We I have been over 70 in the straights. After running mower tires at them sppeds on pavement and seeing HOW MUCH they grow the slick or even grooved kart tires as you run are more for safety. Your grooved kart tires are fine and high speed rated so they are just fine.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 04:23:24 pm »
Ted, I have to agree with George. I just soon era on the side of caution. It is a safty issue. The tires that you have on your PRO-X are high speed tires. The track is a hard pack red clay. They do put treatment in the water before they put it down on the track. The track is a 1/6th mile. 10 deg's of banking in the corners and 5 deg's in the straights. It's at least 70' wide. So lots of run off out of the corners. I don't mean for everyone to go out and buy slick's, but if you have them use them. Turf tires will do just fine in IMOW and SP/MOD-X. If you have slicks by all means use them in SP/MOD-X also, If using turf tires just bump up your tire pressure. To keep them from rolling over. This is one place if you have to stear right to go left means you are about to crash.

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 06:37:56 pm »
OK, slicks it is, you have my vote.

As you can tell I am getting more intrested in this.To be honest I wasn't thrilled about running a large fast kart track with a lawn mower but you getting my intrest up and I would like to say I ran at Talladega once.

Man, what a busy month.Talledega on the first, L.C. race in the third Saturday backed up with a 2 day National in AVON Park at the end of the month.To top it off, ARMA hasn't announced it's 2008 National race series yet.
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2007, 06:43:14 pm »
This is one place if you have to stear right to go left means you are about to crash.

That is a well stated truth. On the tire note, I did the last time I was there have to fall back on mower tires (turf pro's) for the rear for the feature. I was a tick faster due to better  grip off the corner. But I was worried the whole time at those speeds what might happen. I think our features there are only 12 laps so the slicks which need heat to grip and it was like 30 outside didn't gain much heat quickly. But the comfort level knowing they won't grow into your fenders and cut down or blow due to over growing makes for such a fun ride..... If you havn't experianced this type of racing you should try it at least once. There is nothing like it. While the biggest drag is the down time between you experiance waiting on the rounds of karts to run between mower classes the up side is you get to watch some pretty good racing. OR just spend time with fellow racers that you generally would not get the chance at a normal mower event. And lets face it IT is a thrill. OH an no we havn't announced our National schedule yet. I do not believe you will have to worry about fitting one in that early.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline George #22

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.extrememowers.com
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 02:49:05 pm »
how large of a track is this supposed to be (feet or meters)??? and is it on pavment ???
George Nussey
#22 OutLaw

2007 Soltra SuperMod Pts Champion
2006 & 2007 Canadian Nationals Open Class Champion
www.extrememowers.com
www.westernontariooutlaws.com

Offline George #22

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.extrememowers.com
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 03:25:22 pm »
oops, i completely missed the post that says its red clay and 1/6th of a mile.

so 1/6th of a mile is roughly 897ft or 273m. Im guessingthat the straights are about 350ft ???
George Nussey
#22 OutLaw

2007 Soltra SuperMod Pts Champion
2006 & 2007 Canadian Nationals Open Class Champion
www.extrememowers.com
www.westernontariooutlaws.com

Offline Hitch

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernoutlaws.us
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 05:58:21 pm »
G-Forces on a kart track are too much for mower tires,accident waiting to happen.If you got em run the kart tires or the Hoosier mini cup tires.  :roll:
Carey Hulett aka Hitch
Engine builder,fabricator & shop owner
B&S and Harley Master Tech
2008 ARMA Sportsman National Champ
Owner of The Worlds Fastest 5hp Mower Documented @ The Texas Mile
Founder & President of (SOMA) Southern Outlaws Mower Association
Owner of Southern Outlaw Speedway
Remember this:
"It Ain't Braggin if ya can back it up"

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 07:59:54 pm »
George #22, 1/6th mile is 880 feet. I think Talladega, list there track at 800 feet. I do belive the straights are at 350 feet, or real close. if you go to you tube you can check out this video of Talladega.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnASAdU414
I hope that you can make it down for the race. I know how cold it can get up there. I use to be stationed in up state New York, At Sececa Army Depot. So come on down and enjoy some of our good ole southern hospitality. I've seen alot of your builds and it should pass eather US or ARMA rules as far as safty. So it's good to race by me.

Offline Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 09:12:16 pm »
Hi Michael , and merry Christmas to all you southern racers. I made a post on the msg brd's up north here that we are going to the Talladega event. Santa came early with some sponsorship dough to help haul down some top end racers via the Sod Warrior Pro Tour that I look after.
It has taken awhile to finally set a date to come on down and race it up with you guy's, up to my arm pits in snow where I live makes Southern US look real good come March 1 st.
Anyway we are really looking forward to racing and meeting you folks.
As for the tech and set up for that circuit you will see a lot of questions, we have some pretty fast circuits that most have run on up here. So there shouldn't be any excuses to be prepared, and yes we take safety quite serious in the Outlaw and FT Open class builds up here.

Tire question: My idea was to use a pair of old ( really hard rubber ) 18 x 9.50 x 8" Turf Pro almost bald tires. Punched out on 10" wide 8" douglas rims. Would have to purchase a set of those Hoosiers down there if that don’t work.
The only other tire I can find up here is a Hoosier ( D40 8.25 x8" ) Any good ?

Enjoy the holidays.................Rod
Rod  Easton
Oeltra Director
2007 Supr Mod Troy-Bilt Cup points Champion #5
2006 Supr Mod Points Champion # 5
2005 FT Open  Champion   Tractor # 5

anything