Author Topic: steering axle  (Read 4996 times)

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
steering axle
« on: December 07, 2007, 02:19:36 pm »
been racing mowers for a few years, i built an adjustable front axle and had a question about the kingpins! i understand toe in and out, camber and ackerman and how they affect handling but ive seen some kingpins that are tilted back at the top, what affect does this do to handling, mine are straight up and down, seen quite a few that are tilted! thanx for the help! awesome forum!!!!!
Tim Jerby
2010 round 2 monster energy drink mod-x champion
2009 mowfast mod-x champion
2009 mowfast sportsman runner-up
Coming soon...super mod twin!

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: steering axle
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 02:24:35 pm »
Take a look at all the highlighted/sticky's at the top of each catergory.

Here is one all about geometry: http://www.heymow.com/index.php/topic,425.0.html
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 02:36:59 pm »
didnt quite word that right! the tops of some kingpins ive seen leen towards the rear of the mower, mine do lean in at the top roughly 10 degrees but they are straight up and down, seen some like mine but are leaned back also! i worded that clear as mud! thanx guys!
Tim Jerby

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 03:13:05 pm »
The tilt in towards the centerline of the mower is kningpin inclination, this effects tire scrub anong other things. The tilt of the top of the kingpin as viewed from the side is caster, which effects steering stability and steering wheel return. It will also cause the vehicle/chassis to "lead/pull" to the side with less caster.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline jerb

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 06:43:47 pm »
thanks for the info, guess i should of read a little more on the topic, if i was to tilt the top of the axle back a few degrees what would be a good starting point, or is it just trial and error, or is it really necessary for improved handling!  thanks alot!
Tim Jerby

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 06:51:07 pm »
It does make a difference, and well worth the effort, you might have to read the topic that Tom Fox give you many times but it is all in there!
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline Seth Brunson

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Team Lightning Racing
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 04:13:02 pm »
I just read through EC's front axle geometry and it's pretty hard to understand. Not calling myself stupid but i was wondering if i could get a straight forward on the question because i was asked by several people myself and had no answer to give them.
"Come To Our Shop, Will Make Ya Stuff Fast" Team Lightning

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 04:32:28 pm »
So what exactly is the question...?
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 04:44:54 pm »
I just read through EC's front axle geometry and it's pretty hard to understand. Not calling myself stupid but i was wondering if i could get a straight forward on the question because i was asked by several people myself and had no answer to give them.

It took me several times of going through it to understand it as well. Then it hit me. You have to understand what is going on with the chassis and why you have all these things going on at once. Your mower is going through the corner like a teeter totter on the left front and right rear. You get weight trandfer to the right front and right rear. The left rear becomes lighter and you turn the corner. Just having a good front end is part of the big picture. That is why a person needs to beef up a chassis. You never hear George talk about setting up a front end, he says "chassis setup". Being able to tune the front end to changing conditions is part of what makes the EC style front end so cool. Now understanding what to change to meet different conditions is the harder part. That will take some more research and study. All chassis react different to each track. More toe out on a wet sloppy track to get turn in grip, and the like. So go back over that geometry lesson again, and again. It will hit you and you will grin like a mad dog.

Marc
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"