Author Topic: What to do for more ponies  (Read 5132 times)

Offline mowerman90

• View Profile
What to do for more ponies
« on: December 06, 2007, 06:20:51 pm »
i have a briggs & stratton 14hp ohv what would you recomend i do to it to make it more powerful.

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: What to do for more ponies
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 06:23:23 pm »
What is allowed for modifications in your racing class???
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline mowerman90

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 06:30:08 pm »
What is allowed for modifications in your racing class???
See i dont know what class i am going to be in yet i have been talking to people all day today and i cant decide what class to race my new mower in.

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 06:32:08 pm »
What size motor?......
i have a briggs & stratton 14hp ohv what would you recomend i do to it to make it more powerful.

That usually will help you decide what class to build for!
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline mowerman90

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 06:33:42 pm »
What size motor?...... That usually will help you decide what class to build for!
Its a 28cid motor it has no upgrades yet

Offline Moweracer227

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 07:42:40 pm »
If racing with the USLMRA w/the 14 OHV then you have two options---FX or C/P class---then build accordingly

FX--need some serious ponies here---big big bucks to be competitive
C/P--still need some ponies, but a far better handling chassis and a good cam with a billet flywheel and rod will do just fine at most or all races.

Just my 2cents worth
Don Whitehead Sr.
Clare, Michigan
2010 AP USLMRA National Champion
2010 US OPEN AP/Mini-Sportsman Champion
2010 Michigan AP Class Points Champion
2009 CP 2nd National Points
2009 AP Michigan Points Champion
2009 AP 9th National Points
2008 AP Michigan Points Champion

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 08:38:02 pm »
For any Briggs OHV, you will need the billet keepers and retainers minimun to keep from quickly dropping a valve. Give George at E.C. Distributing a call.  (615) 446-6807
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline mowerman90

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 08:56:54 pm »
For any Briggs OHV, you will need the billet keepers and retainers minimun to keep from quickly dropping a valve. Give George at E.C. Distributing a call.  (615) 446-6807
Thanks for the info i think i will do that because doing it the wrong way and building it cheap will cost you in the long run
If racing with the USLMRA w/the 14 OHV then you have two options---FX or C/P class---then build accordingly

FX--need some serious ponies here---big big bucks to be competitive
C/P--still need some ponies, but a far better handling chassis and a good cam with a billet flywheel and rod will do just fine at most or all races.

Just my 2cents worth
I think i will run it in c/p cause i dont want to drop loads of money into it yet.

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 09:19:30 pm »
There is a lot of info for this motor in this section. You can learn alot on how to get a few more "PONIES" out of it!  Also Don at G Team has a motor build video that will help too! But form my experience if I were you I would work on getting a chassis that will handle! It don't have to be top of the line, but needs to be built the best you can with what you have! Then I would tune the stock motor up and run it for a season or 2 and learn to drive, trust me if you gear your mower right and have the chassis where it will turn decent you can compete with some of the built motors, unless of course you have to race with George!!!  I have raced all this past season with a stocker and did fairly well, learned alot on the track and off, and I think I am ready to step up but will probably have to learn to drive again!!!

Here is a good hint !!!!
Sometimes the way you ask questions will help out on here, there is alot of useful information in here, spend some time reading and if you don't find what your looking for or you don't understand what you are reading ask, and most everybody on here will be willing to help you!!!!
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline mowerman90

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 09:27:49 pm »
There is a lot of info for this motor in this section. You can learn alot on how to get a few more "PONIES" out of it!  Also Don at G Team has a motor build video that will help too! But form my experience if I were you I would work on getting a chassis that will handle! It don't have to be top of the line, but needs to be built the best you can with what you have! Then I would tune the stock motor up and run it for a season or 2 and learn to drive, trust me if you gear your mower right and have the chassis where it will turn decent you can compete with some of the built motors, unless of course you have to race with George!!!  I have raced all this past season with a stocker and did fairly well, learned alot on the track and off, and I think I am ready to step up but will probably have to learn to drive again!!!

Here is a good hint !!!!
Sometimes the way you ask questions will help out on here, there is alot of useful information in here, spend some time reading and if you don't find what your looking for or you don't understand what you are reading ask, and most everybody on here will be willing to help you!!!!

Right now i am working on my chassis i put direct steer on it and strenghthened the frame in some spots but i dont wont to modifiy until a get a transmission and rear end for it. Thank you for the helpful info i greatly appreciate it.

anything