Author Topic: Newbie to Mower Racing - Advice on build  (Read 19496 times)

Offline Interceptor

• View Profile
Newbie to Mower Racing - Advice on build
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:07:48 pm »
Some buds of mine have been tinkering around for the last couple years with mower racing in a backyard setting.  After last fall, I decided it was time to throw my hat in the ring.  I had a couple mowers that I played around with when we did tractor pulling, so I thought that would be a good start.  The leauge does have a few rules for building...nothing over 13 hp and the total investment must be less than $100.  

Well, I was at a community auction this last weekend, and picked up a Dynamark "Central Park" mower for next to nothing.  I would say that it's from the 70's.  It has a 3 speed trans w/reverse and a 12hp Briggs I/C engine(not original).  The rearend/gearbox looks really beefy compared to the other mowers I had looked at(Murrays).  I believe that it has 18x9.5-8 rubber on the back and ribbbed balloon-type tires on front.  One of the other mowers I have is basically the same mower, only in the 8hp variety.  It has a 3-speed trans which is chain driven to the axle.  

On to the build:  I had figured on welding the front axle beam to the frame and "tightening-up" the steering...it's got some play.  Also considered lowering front end of frame and moving beam forward when I weld the axle solid...probably about an inch down on frame and nearly 2 inches forward.  I have considered that I will have to do some minor modifications to the steering when I do that.  

Have a few questions, first is this a good mower to use?  I had talked to one of the guys that runs a mower and he said that I need a mower that has a 5-7 speed trans on the fender, that way you can "slam through the gears".  

Second, what type of front tires would be best to run on a short dirt track...the original ribbed balloon type tire or a shorter, narrower turf tire.  The ribs on the originals are only about 1/8" deep, so I figure the front end grip would be minimal with these.  However, they would have more sidewall flex.

Last of all, what would be a good start to throwing different sized pulleys on this mower.  I know that the guys that were racing last fall were probably topping out around 30-35 mph(not on the track).  I figure on a short track, a person probably needs more torque coming out of the corners than just all-out speed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Look forward to getting started.
Brad S.
Altamont, IL
Put me in the back of the line...I love the thrill of the chase!

Offline jake100

• View Profile
advice
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 08:02:41 pm »
Well not wanting to be a smart alex here, but if you spend a little time, and go back research the past post here you will find the answers to ALL your questions. Part of the fun is the hunt and knowledge you can get with a little effort. Happy hunting.  :D  :idea:  PS; use the search feature at the top of the page.

Offline Interceptor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:24:14 pm »
I have done some searching, I do know my way around a forum.  I just had a couple questions that I was hoping to get comments about.  

I was also wondering if anyone would happen to know what type of trans these mowers may have?

Any help appreciated.
Brad S.
Altamont, IL

Offline jake100

• View Profile
Re: Newbie to Mower Racing - Advice on build
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 11:21:06 pm »
Welding up the ft axle is almost a must, you need to check your rules where you are going to race. Some places want things pretty stock and others allow more mods. the group I race we make our own ft. ends and they can be 45" max wide and the mower must be a min of 3" off the ground, and decks are not used, so we lower and widen both ends.

Tightening up the steering is also a must. Most folks make their own linkage and use hiem joints.

You really don't need a 7 speed trans, you will not be "slaming thru the gears" at least not for long. Some are set up with the small trans. [peerless 700] and chain to a straight axle ala go kart, while others use the transaxle, some classes/places they are locked up, some times not.

Turf tires for front for sure.

Start with about 6" engine pulley and 3"-3.5" on a transaxle

You might also consider  the brakes, got have some whoa for all the go.

If you don't want to make all this stuff the go to acmemowersports.com they have it all plus instructions on how to do it.

Offline Interceptor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 09:17:45 am »
Thanks for the advice, I will definintely be using some of those "advantages" when I start working on mine.  Right now, our group is based on about half a dozen guys.  Most of them consider just replacing pulleys the modification to make you go fast.  When I was watching them race, I was making mental notes of improvements that could be done to make the mower handle better.  

About the only rules we have is no more than a 13hp engine, a foot operated throttle, kill switch of some sort(toggle switch - not the best candidate if you ask me), a helmet, and all for under $100.  It pretty much keeps everyone on a level playing field, of course as long as everyone knows what they are doing.  

How would I ID the gearboxes/transaxles on my mowers.  I haven't found any plates or tags on them?
Brad S.
Altamont, IL

Offline lusty_monkey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Make 'Em Run Motorsports
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 09:22:43 am »
On my last peerless 3 speed tranny it wasnt tagged it was just imprinted on the housing.
LUSTY MONKEY RACING
Shannon Kayhart
Prior WILMRA President
WILMRA Head Tech
WILMRA CP Champion 2012
MNLMRA CP Champion 2012

Gotta Go Gotta Go Gotta Go Right NOW

Offline Interceptor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006, 09:26:35 am »
I checked out that website, I was shocked when I saw that mower on the home page.  I have one of those same brand mowers that I used when I was playing with garden tractor pulling.  I still have it, it's even orange too.  But I think that's where the similarities end!
Brad S.
Altamont, IL

Offline dynamark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2006, 08:17:05 pm »
http://m-and-d.com/dana_foote_parts.htm check this site more than likely it's a foote trans thease guys can get any part to you fast the modle # on the three speed is proubly 2010 but this site has break downs for all the footes
just wanna sling some sod

Offline dynamark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 08:23:02 pm »
i also run a 7in pully on the motor and a 1.5 in on the transaxle it's a 5 speed foote i'll just say the front pully cost 30 dollars and the rear cost 6  but thats all you need i'm clockin 64 mph in 5 th and aint floored it yet
just trying to nget all that to turn thats the secreat

Offline Interceptor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 10:41:14 pm »
Thanks for the site, that will really help me out.  Even has gear ratios for different model# trans!  Excellent!
Brad S.
Altamont, IL

Offline dynamark

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2006, 06:28:13 am »
no problem thats whats so great about THIS fo :P rum

Offline Interceptor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2006, 06:03:53 pm »
I found a tag on the trans of that 12hp dynamark.  It reads MOD639A; PEERLESS; 0070 7907.  So which model# is this?  I don't really want to presume, but think I may know.
Brad S.
Altamont, IL

Offline matt25001149

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.WesternOntarioOutlaws.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2006, 07:25:38 pm »
MOD639A
#87 Outlaw
Western Ontario Outlaws

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 05:31:46 pm »
See - http://www.odref.com/peerless/

The 600 series link specifically and there you can surf down to the 600 - 639A sereis link.

Offline Interceptor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 04:29:06 pm »
Thanks for the link, I had found that on another post...good info!

Anyone know where I can get some good wheel bearings for the front end(sealed).  Wheels have 1 3/8" O.D., 3/4" I.D. flanged bushings.  I have done a little researching and found some places, but around $10/ea.  I'm on a budget-build.  I would rather not have to replace spindles to 5/8", I'll keep my 3/4's.
Brad S.
Altamont, IL