Author Topic: Mowinmachine's Grant's FX build for 2008  (Read 56109 times)

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: Mowinmachine's Grant's FX build for 2008
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2008, 11:55:26 pm »
Yea I was wondering why you said what you said in your first reply... Are we both getting thast old or maybe just too late in the day!!
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2008, 11:57:42 pm »
Well, if that's the case then I'm in bbiiiig trouble because I'm only 30. Yes. I went out there and took a look at it. Sure enough, flipping it would do the trick. Sort of like that commercial for Comcast with the two turtles with the cranky old turtle going" well duh!"

Anyhow, thanks for pointing that out to me.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2008, 12:04:16 am »
LOL now thats funny. No problem I try to help where I can. Good job on your build so far by the way,
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2008, 06:06:33 am »
If you flip it around, how would you have access to the adjustment screws for the pads, or are they reversible?
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2008, 06:43:26 am »
threre is screws for pads on both calipers, there fore if you have them mounted solid you will always have to unbolt to gain access to one pair.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2008, 09:25:44 pm »
I got quite a bit done on the mower over the weekend and President's day. The first manner of business was the rear tensioner. I decided to use Skeeter's idea of using a Skateboard wheel for this. Since I didn't have a skateboard, I had to buy a couple at the local skateboard shop where I was asked about what kind of board I had and all this other stuff. I finally had to tell them it was a racing mower. " cool" was the reply.

Anyhow, I got the fattest ones they had. Pretty stylish too. Here's where I ran into trouble. At first I did what Skeeter did, which was to cut a slot in a piece of 1x1 tubing and weld it in linear fashion with the frame. This created two problems. The first was that there wasn't enough room to slide the tensioner back and forth to get the chain off. Secondly, I couldn't get to the bolt on the frame side easily at all. I could imagine this would be problematic if the chain broke on race day. So I decided to mount the tensioner to go up and down instead. I also mounted a couple of lock collars that served to push the bolt on the frame side out enough to get at with a wrench. They also held all the washers together so they wouldn't go all over the place when the tensioner was removed.

The space was so tight that I had to weld in place one of the brake master cylinder bolts and grind off the head. The build again is so small that there's not a lot of wiggle room.
Neexxxt... The tensioner for the RAGB to engine. I wound up using what was at one time the mower deck hangers. They were bent just the right way. I drilled a hole through the bottom of the foot rest, slid in a lock nut, and stacked up a few washers so that the nylon pulley would line up properly with the chain. Originally, I had the spring attached to the piece sticking out on the far side. But the pull of the spring wasn't direct enough to the chain. I instead put in a much longer bolt, drilled a hole in it, and then welded a bolt directly across from it on the underside of the pan. That way the spring was pulling directly towards the chain.

This seemed to work pretty well until I had to remove the RAGB later. For some inexplicable reason, the chain seemed to be much looser when I reinstalled the RAGB. This made the distance between the two sides of the chain uncomfortably close. Either I will have to compensate and install a bigger sprocket for the RAGB or install a second idler for the other side that would work just to make sure the two sides of the chain don't touch.
Next up, I decided to start tackling the less imperative stuff. The seat was up next. I'd seen a build for sale on here that had these sort of padded "bumpers" on each side. It was pretty simple, so I decided to use that idea. I welded angle brackets on each side made out of 1/8" steel, drilled holes, and cut and attached two pieces of wood for the bumpers. Me and my wife were walking home from the store the other day and somebody had thrown away a bunch of vinyl covered conference chairs with foam padding. Sweet! So we grabbed em' and later she will sew on the covers and foam to fit the seat. So I finished it up and painted it so it would dry in time for her to start on it.
Next up was to get the battery and stick it under the seat... or so I thought. the battery was too big! crap. Where to put it? Well... the ONLY place it would fit was right between the engine and the RAGB. It fit so well it looked like I'd built it to go there. But having it so close to the engine had me a tad worried. I conferred with the forum.... All replies were that it would probably be ok... so that's what I decided to do with it.

But to make it stable, I welded in two pieces of angle bracket on the pan. So far so good. Next was to weld the seat stand into place. After that. I measured the distance between the battery and the bracket. I then cut the piece of diamond plate aluminum to fit. I left enough space between the aluminum and battery to allow the insertion of a piece of thick rubber against the battery so that the aluminum wouldn't eat through the battery. I drilled holes and used self-tapping screws to install the diamond plate. I wanted it to be easy to remove in case some of the components below would be easier to work on from above. The rubber will be glued to the battery. The battery now fits very snugly. I'll just drill holes to bungee cord the battery in. Otherwise, it isn't going anywhere.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2008, 09:51:16 pm »
Yes you are getting there nicely! Looks good!
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline Snowman18

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BSMRA
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2008, 09:52:37 pm »
Is it just me or does that seat look really high. Otherwise it looks great.
Scott Nelson
#18 (MX/R)
BSBOB(ARMA)
Retired
Bert once told me that" there was a lot of money in racing", he should know he put a lot of it in there.

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2008, 10:05:36 pm »
I took a cue  from Squidd  and his build. He also has his mounted sort of high. The reason is because when I sit down, I lean over the front of the mower slightly. This way I am more centered over the mower. It actually isn't all that far off the ground. I should stand next to this thing because it is tiny. The wheelbase is around 38 inches! It actually feels really comfortable when I sit on it now, so hopefully it will work well this way around the track.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline chini

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2008, 10:13:18 pm »
  I would like to see something more than a bungee cord hold in the battery. Remember bungee cords stretch. Then the battery attacks you. Kevin
Kevin Pierachini

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2008, 10:31:00 pm »
No problem Kevin. long bolts and a cross piece it is.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline crocco58

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2008, 10:47:10 pm »
Hey Seth i have a feeling that the skateboard wheel isn't going to hold up.

This is one from http://www.mcmaster.com/ there about 15 buck and is worth it for the long run.
Team Preferred Charters #58
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing Association

Offline mowinmachine

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2008, 11:10:46 pm »
We'll see how they do. There's a few guys here using them here, so I reckon they must work allright. Check out Skeeter's build. I guess something to think about is that if skateboard wheels can hold up with a 150 pound kid on top of them riding around on rough cement, then they'll probably work as well with chain. I'm curious to see what they'll do. If not, I'll get the sprocket.
Nip it in the grass!
www.pvmowerracing.com
California mower racing

Offline Gary Elder

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2008, 11:20:39 pm »
I have heard that freezing the wheel will help make them last longer.

Offline crazyfan

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2008, 11:28:48 pm »
I have heard that freezing the wheel will help make them last longer.

that is what skateboarders do...
$Lead Follow or get the heck out of my WAY$
$Take it to the BANK$
thanks to....
Sprint Kart Enterprise "SKE"
Real Racing Wheels
www.realwheel.net
Performance Karting
www.perkart.com
Ben's Paint and Body
YourWay