Author Topic: questions about a 19hp comand v-twin  (Read 6444 times)

Offline dang107

• Turf Warrior
  • M&M RACING
    • View Profile
questions about a 19hp comand v-twin
« on: October 27, 2007, 05:24:38 pm »
I started working on a comand 19hp twin this afternoon I haven't worked on a kohler before and had a few questions maybe someone could help with on the shroud thers an aluminum block with three wires running to it is this a voltage reg? also is it normal for the lifters to tap at first startup? it's been a while since it ran. also does anyone remove the gov. for racing or should I leave it hooked up? and what rpm. do guys run these eng. at? thanks for looking at all these questions hope you guys don't mind answering

Offline greenmachine

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: questions about a 19hp comand v-twin
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 09:00:33 pm »
That aluminum block should be the rectifier regulator. On a race engine you don't need the charging system, just run off the battery and put the HP that was being used to charge the batteries to the rear tire instead. You can take out the stator and regulator if rules allow.

IIRC the Kohler command engines have hydraulic lifters and if it hasn't run in a while they probably needed a litte time to bleed and pump up.

As far as taking off the governor, that's up to your rules. Remember these engines were only designed to turn 3600 rpm in stock form so it's up to you how far you want to push it. Me personally, if the rules allow me to take off the governor then it's gone.

Here's a link to a command engine service manual from the Kohler website. It's a free download unlike Briggs that charges for the manuals. http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2450_b.pdf
Retired 82nd Airborne Paratrooper.

If it ain't fun, it ain't worth doing.

Offline George #22

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.extrememowers.com
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 09:06:00 pm »
I run a 18hp kohler Command. I took the govenor out of it completely, If you dont, it might explode at high rpms and wreak something. I used midwest's single valve springs and with my stock 18 and I run it upto 7500rpms. What I like about these engines is that everything in them is big, and durable ... but they are expensive to replace. Hope i was some help

George
George Nussey
#22 OutLaw

2007 Soltra SuperMod Pts Champion
2006 & 2007 Canadian Nationals Open Class Champion
www.extrememowers.com
www.westernontariooutlaws.com

Offline greasemonkey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 05:06:26 pm »
I took my governor out completely out of my engine also . I disassembled it one day to find that part of the governor had broke off and thankfully hadn't ruined the engine. This was at low rpms governed.  Now that the governor is out it idles so much better. Like a kitten .

Offline amcchevy1

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 08:47:40 pm »
hey george#22 did you do anything other than the governor and valve springs to turn those r'ssss
2007, 2008 amra member.  modified flathead
2008-2010 arma member.  sportsman
If you build it, it should fly.
take it out and let it eat...
www.GoLawnMowerRacing.com
www.alleghanymowerracingassociation.com

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 09:50:37 pm »
you turnd 7500 on a stock cam. !!!!!!!
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline dang107

• Turf Warrior
  • M&M RACING
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 09:51:22 am »
thanks for the input I took the eng apart and was really impressed by what Ifound it,s a really nice piece the alt already took it self off for some reason the the magnets came off the fly wheel and ate everything no big deal wasn't going to use that anyway I'm going to remove gov. and reseal the eng and leave it alone I did question the plastic oil pump drive kind of scary for higher rpms but the rest was nice the lifters look just like small block chevy parts does anyone know the comp. ratio of this eng. ? thanks again

Offline George #22

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.extrememowers.com
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 11:05:02 am »
Yea it turns 7500 on the stock cam... if you bug the heck outof Kohler tech support, you can get some info out of the right representive. But yea 7500 no problem, Kohler uses the same cam all the way up to their 27hp engines (so im told). That why i can get it out of the 18 (which is also the same as the 22hp if you havent already know). Also the guys over at midwest are alot of help.

George
compression ratio of the 18-22 is 8.5 i believe
George Nussey
#22 OutLaw

2007 Soltra SuperMod Pts Champion
2006 & 2007 Canadian Nationals Open Class Champion
www.extrememowers.com
www.westernontariooutlaws.com