Author Topic: How do I inflate these tires?  (Read 10406 times)

Offline johntaves

• View Profile
    • PNWSoft
How do I inflate these tires?
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:26:30 am »
I have new Carlisle Turf Masters 13x6.5 - 6 and aluminum 6.5 wide rims. I can easily get the tire on the rim, but I can't inflate it because the beads are refusing to come close to the rim to seal.

Does anyone have some tips? Should I put the tire in the oven for a few hours in some sort of contraption that pries the tire wider?

Do I have to get a tube?

Thanks,

jt

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 03:58:06 am »
First thing, take the valve stem out of the valve to get a good "rush" of air...

Use some tire lube (or dish soap) to to lube the bead...

And then a second person can be handy ...with three hands on the tread of tire to squish and widen beads and the forth hand to blast the air....

Should pop right on....then replace the core and top off..
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 07:18:24 am »
You might try wrapping a rope around the tire to try and squeeze the bead on the sidewalls out toward the rim. The trick is getting pressure distributed equally around the tire. And, be sure to use a slip knot if you're forced to tie it off for any reason!

If that fails take it to your local tire garage; tire machines usually have a tank built in to provide that initial blast of air for seating the bead, when you hit the foot pedal on the machine it gives you more volume than you would be capable of straight out of the air line.

Try and find a garage with some old fart running it that's seen a few tires in his day, they know tricks to seating beads that I can't discuss here! (o;?

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 07:22:32 am »
Yeah, I didn't want to mention the starting fluid and match trick either... :oops:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline johntaves

• View Profile
    • PNWSoft
The solution
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 11:28:58 pm »
The tires came strapped together tightly so they were distorted in three ways. They were triangluar, the sidewalls angled inward, and except at the triangle peaks the tread was a deep valley. There was about an inch between the bead and where it needs to touch the rim to seal (when the other side was just touching). I had no luck with any sort of pushing because it would just fold the tire along the valley and the sidewalls wouldn't respond. I put a rope around it and used a screwdriver to twist it nice and tight. The beads showed no interest whatsoever in moving apart. I didn't even attempt to send air into it because the gap was so huge.

After an hour of scratching my head as to how to make the "contraption", I stuffed a deflated basket ball into the center, inflated it, then put it in the oven. I preheated the oven to maybe 150 and let it sit overnight.

The next day, I removed the basket ball and it held the new shape. I inflated it with a bicycle pump easily. My wife is concerned with the taste of our food though.

jt

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 11:38:45 pm »
Long as it worked!

Offline johntaves

• View Profile
    • PNWSoft
Cool look
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 11:47:21 pm »
Oh, and one more thing. The tire and rim (I got the aluminum rims from arcracing.com) look so darn cool I can't believe it.

I've been showing it off to the family. My wife just rolls her eyes, which with a bit of counselling I will be able to accept, but what I can't comprehend is that my two sons 10, and 6, don't care either.... maybe if I replace the teddy bear with a wrench in the middle of the night.

The unwashed just don't appreciate fine art.

jt

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 06:37:18 am »
Ahh Yes...The old "Triangular Tire"...Gets that shape from shipping....

Glad you got it on...another "trick" for that is to put a tube in it (off rim) blow it up and leave it out in the sun for the afternoon to "reshape" itself...

Once you get them round, things work sooo much better...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2006, 05:56:05 pm »
better get on it quick or they will be too old to train into your way of thinking(the kids that is) the wife may be too old but you can train them as well.
David Peters

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2006, 07:49:47 pm »
Good grief!!!  For all that work, I'm all the more glad I put tubes in mine!!!!!   So much simpler and easier.  And I'm all for easier.

I will second the thought on those nice shiny aluminum wheels!  Sure makes the old, ratty, steel fronts look like crap!   Time and money will cure that...

Dale, half of Red Horse Racing
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2006, 10:00:09 pm »
Ummm...

Probably a good time to insert disclaimer here...

The Mowbetter forum is here for the Lawn Mower Racer, not the backyard go-fast enthusiast. We appreciate your interest, however we cannot and do not support unsanctioned racing from a point safety concerns. IF you are going to do this, we adivse you exercise a certain degree of common sense in doing so, and follow these basic safety precautions at minimum.

:lol:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 11:15:49 pm »
I'd have to agree.   While I may be as much a pyromaniac as the next guy, starting fluid does NOT belong in tires.   Somebody is going to get seriously hurt messing around trying to learn how to do something the dangerous way instead of the right and safe way.

Dale, getting old I guess.
Wheel Horse of Course!!

anything