Author Topic: Weak Spark  (Read 27497 times)

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Weak Spark
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2007, 09:26:50 am »
Stating that rust is not magnetic over simplifies the issue of magnetism and rust.

Rust and corrosion strongly affect the magnetic properties of metals. Ferromagnetic metals like iron in which interactions between the electrons of neighboring atoms tend to make their little bits of magnetism point in the same direction, forming magnetic domains. In a magnetic field, these domains line up with the field making a strong magnet. Other common ferromagnetic metals are nickel, and cobalt. Some of the strongest magnets are made with neodymium. In some materials, the domains can get stuck so the material stays magnetized even when the field is removed, leaving a permanent magnet, but that usually involves introducing some non-magnetic components.

Rusting and corrosion introduce atoms of other elements (typically oxygen), making new chemical forms with different interactions between neighboring atoms’ electrons. Usually these end up either non-ferromagnetic or less ferromagnetic than the pure magnetic metal.

It must be true, I read it on the internet!  :epunch:

Clean and sand the flywheel, get a new coil or coils and move on.This thread is getting a bit carried away.
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline DANNY454

• Heymow Hero!
  • Turf Warrior
  • keep your stick on the ice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 10:12:23 am »
Your not arguing with me anymore, you challenging research and testing conducted the leading small engine producer in the world. So, an entire companys research that has been around longer than you and your dad combined, your challenging with 3 years experience, fixing a few lawnmowers and maintaining your own? Your telling
them that their reserach is mistaken and that indeed, you have the right
answers? :lol: :roll:

To do the same research, you'd have to be a mechanical engineer that has been working for Briggs for years like the guys doing the tests are, along with using alot of special equipment. AND have a deep understanding of how things  work, far beyong just basic electricity and magnets....

-Casey

Research and testing? lets see that research and testing. If you can't post something by Briggs and Stratton on an Official site, you don't have prof. That and I don't think B&S have so much time on there hands to be siting around and letting there magnets rust. See if rusted flywheel magnets worked so good, they'd come rusted from the factory. 

I've also got a electric engineer for a brother hes a lot older and smarter then you, even he knows from working on these engines that rusted flywheel magnets will cause weak spark, if any at all. 

I know you said that you have more experience than BriggsandStratton1218, but I'd like to be enlightened on how you have come to be so experienced.

It doesn't take your facts, just some brans and basic knowledge of science.
we already established that i can be retaerded.

Offline Hotrodboy91

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 12:12:53 pm »
I will search through my Briggs literature and once I find it I will post it up here.

Also, if simply sanding away some rust from the flywheel and armature can make such a big differece in a spart (from zero spark to bright "blue" spark as some of you claim) Them howcome it is never mentioned a single time in any
Briggs & Stratton manuals?

-Casey
well would ya lookie here??  The excerpt below is strait from the 
Briggs & Stratton site

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/display/router.asp?DocID=67479

"Now, how about some of those old wives tales that just aren't true.

Rust on the flywheel magnets causes a loss of spark.  Not true.  A magnetic field does not care about rust.  It has no effect on it.

A bright blue spark is best.  A yellow/orange spark signifies weak ignition.  Not true.  Spark color determines virtually nothing. The hottest spark is ultraviolet which we can't see.  Blue spark is cold in comparison to ultra-violet.  Orange and yellow come from particles of sodium in the air ionizing in the high energy of the spark gap.

Laying the spark plug against the block and pulling the engine over can adequately test ignition coil output.  Not true.  The ignition coil will only generate enough output to jump the gap of the plug.  When under compression, the plug requires twice the voltage to fire.  This check is not an accurate test of the coil and can be misleading.

An armature air gap that is too wide will prevent spark.  Not true.  Well, sort of not true.  Briggs & Stratton air gaps cannot be made too wide to prevent spark providing the coil is healthy and the engine is spun over fast enough.  A wide air gap, say .030" will ever so slightly retard the ignition timing as the magnetic field takes longer to build within the coil windings."

-Casey

Offline DANNY454

• Heymow Hero!
  • Turf Warrior
  • keep your stick on the ice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 12:36:27 pm »
If you have rusted magnets, and it makes that gap less than .010 its NOT going to have spark, or the amount thats needed.
we already established that i can be retaerded.

Offline BriggsandStratton1218

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 03:19:11 pm »
Hotrodboy91 have you ever stopped to thing that maybe a company would want you to replace a coil before you try to fix somthing yourself?  Its pretty sad that you say you have more expierence than me, yet when your 16years old ive been working on small engines for that long.  So if you could please stop running your mouth about things your ignorant on that would be great, go back to school where you belong.  And would admin please lock this topic!! So Hotrodboy91 will stop running his mouth.
IMOW

Offline Hotrodboy91

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2007, 03:59:47 pm »
oh of course because Briggs & Stratton is such a corrupt company.
If you knew how to use a meter you could check the coil yourself that
way you could know exactly what the problem is.
If you did know the problem, nobody would be replacing unneed parts now
would they?

It also sure sounds alot like your ticked just because I pulled up some info strait from Briggs and Stratton that specifically says what you called a "fix" an old wives tale.

I also never saw you tell the guy that asked the question in the first place that the Briggs Twins are well known to have coil problems. In addition,your reccomended "fix" in the first place was completly irrelivent because the guy said it had a weak spark on one cylinder, so therefore even if "sanding the magnets and armature to remove rust and increase spark" worked that still doesnt change anything because he already had a good spark to one cylinder.

sigh....
-Casey

Offline BriggsandStratton1218

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 04:19:25 pm »
Now smartass before you go putting words in Simonne else mouth and telling us what we cant do.  I don't care if Briggs and stratton said it, i don't care if George bush comes and tells me rust wont do anything.  I know from experience that it WILL, something a book isn't going to give you.  Something you've never learned, from the way your talking.  When coils go bad, its usually after a long sitting period, lots of exposion to water, after the engine gets up to normal operating temperature, thats when you can usually tell.  So cleaning magnets, is the easiest thing to to and can usually fix the problem.  Maybe your all about replacing things, but some of us will try to fix stuff until its completely hopeless.  Go back to science class and learn about a magnetic field, and when you put a barrier up between magnets it decreases the strength, which you obviously dint know that.  If you want to keep arguing with genuine experience, then so be it but I'm done hijacking this thread.  You can email me at 1218@yahoo.com with all your complaints and your book knowledge.  Sorry Jared for this kids ignorance.
IMOW

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 05:16:24 pm »
Enough, PM each other with your personal stuff.
The question has been answered and the points have been made.
Thread locked .
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

anything