Author Topic: Shifting  (Read 2417 times)

Offline KartMan250

• View Profile
Shifting
« on: August 07, 2007, 10:19:51 pm »
Ive looked around on the forum, and havent found anything explaining my answer very clearly so Im gonna ask it here; is it safe to start out in a lower gear like 3rd to take off, then go up one to gain speed. If so, what is the proper method, would you use the clutch like a quad, or do you just powershift?

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: Shifting
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:32:03 pm »
It's been mentioned a time or two before, but there really is not a clear consensus on it...

If you have enough torque in your motor, you can start out in racing gear and go..

If your motor is a little weaker, or your running tall gears, you may have to "slip" the clutch as you take off in high gear.

If your motor does not produce enough torque to pull you from a dead stop ... get a bigger motor....:evilgrin: Just kidding

You can start out in a "partially" lower gear , you mention 3rd and going to 5th... lot of guys in IMOW o just exactly that...

Most prepared class racers will run in 3rd or 4th, (depending) and will start out in 2nd or 3rd (respectively)...

Yes hit the clutch to take off pressure, hit high and release... no more shifting needed...

Under no circumstances should you shift from 1st thru gears to get to high (one shift only) Nor should you need to "downshift" thru the corners and up shift on the straight..

If you feel you need to do that, you most likely do not have the correct "final ratio" and should be adjusting pulleys and sprockets to find the "sweet spot" in the torque curve for your engine.
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline KartMan250

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:38:05 pm »
Thanks, yea I dont think Ill have to worry about not enough torque with my 19hp opposed twin, and Im gonna be racing in c/p prepard class, so the 3rd - 4th idea sounds nice. BTW, I only have a 4 speed. Thanks.

Offline Dave Fires

• I'm not sure a grown man should have this much fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 02:50:06 pm »
If you have your ratio correct (pulley and sprocket sizes) you should be have plenty of power to take off in the gear you want to race in!
                                                    Dave
Dave Fires
K & G Racing
S/P B/P # 402
 ARLMRA

anything