Author Topic: Need ideas/help on "stock" class trannys  (Read 6906 times)

Offline 2000ssm6

• View Profile
Need ideas/help on "stock" class trannys
« on: August 13, 2007, 08:40:05 pm »
Me and some buds just got started in the local mower races. We have decided to start out in the "stock" class before dumping loads of $$$ into the other classes. The "rules" that our track goes by are well stated but mostly ignored. We have a nice 12hp flathead on a older crapsmen chassis. My question is how to get max traction in the turns. We are not allowed to have a posi rear-end and that is one of the few things they check. Our rear tires are 20X10-8 and we are currently running the stock 4 speed trans. 3 1/2" pulley on engine and 5" on trans. I ran out of speed on the straight and lifted the inside tire during each turn, spining and losing speed as it lifted. This made us decide to load it back on the truck to save the mower and our rep. We are going to try a 7 speed trans next and maybe some 18" rear tires.

Has anyone made a locker that can be locked and unlocked say for inspection? I know some of the guys here run a similar setup because I watched their tires as they turned. I by no means want to cheat but no one else plays fair...

thanks!!!!!!

Offline Snowman18

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BSMRA
Re: Need ideas/help on "stock" class trannys
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 10:36:43 pm »
Sounds like the same problem the old IMOWs had, 18" tires would help, just have to get your butt out over the inside fender to keep that side planted, of course the faster you go the worse it gets. Just say NO to cheating, after all your only cheating youself... We must endeavor to be bigger than that.
Scott Nelson
#18 (MX/R)
BSBOB(ARMA)
Retired
Bert once told me that" there was a lot of money in racing", he should know he put a lot of it in there.

Offline hotrodmower16.5

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 10:40:28 pm »
I going to quote from one of cycloneracers posts in a different topic,

If you cheat and win................you haven't won anything at all.

If you cheat and lose.....................well, then your just a looser!

My  :twocents:

So i agree with snowman just say no to cheating!!!
If you cheat and win................you haven't won anything at all.

If you cheat and lose.....................well, then your just a looser!

Offline 2000ssm6

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 11:21:50 pm »
I hear yall on the cheating part. One of the guys at the inspection tent gave me some advice on that subject. I asked him if 2 people could race the same mower because me and a friend wanted to drive. He said I could race in the stock class and he could race modified. I said we would get our *** handed to us then. The tech said, Well if your motor is stock you gonna get it handed to ya anyway in the stock class.

I guess we will play with loading more weight on the turning side and the trans. combos. I could hang off the side more too. Thanks for the input guys!!! This seems to be a real cool site!

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 08:51:53 am »
Sounds like you need a new place to race.

Rules are worthless if they are not enforced.
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline 2000ssm6

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 09:26:37 pm »
Sounds like you need a new place to race.

Rules are worthless if they are not enforced.

The track is fine, I just don't want to run in the back....

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 10:13:58 pm »
All the mower reason to get them to enforce the rules they have established...

If the classes are "separated" enough by the rules it evens things out HP and chassis wise.. No fun running an 8 hp AP against a V Twin B/P

If the individual class is regulated enough it "evens" the playing field between racers of that class. Look at the IMOW guys exact same rpm, gear ratio and tire size... so mowchines are so darn close it truly is a "racers" race as the group runs as a "pack"...

Nobody runs in the "back" unless they are just not prepared and up to speed..

Most everyone is even ...and if you pull ahead and "dominate" you (and everyone else) knows there is something wrong with the Mowchine and No Glory there...

The rules and regs are there to make it "challenging".. not a challenge of "How can I beat the 'rules'?" but "How can I go faster 'within' the restriction of the rules ....

More speed in your chassis and driving style than there is in the motor anyway...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 11:20:08 pm »
I was wondering if you are allowed to do anything to the chassis? If you are,you could try getting rid of,or locking up the pivot on the front axle. Or I have seen guys put bolts in from the top so that you can preload the chassis,this may help so that the inside tire does not lift so much and lose traction.
David Peters

Offline briggsracer1892

• Turf Warrior
  • wheeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 11:34:56 pm »
if your front end is on a pivot try bolting through it with two bolts to lock it up this helps severly if you are allowed to do it at your track
sit down, hold on, shut up

Offline AcreFarm04

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 11:52:06 pm »
Are you only turning left, or both left and right?
If you're only going left, why not weld or otherwise lock your differential and then run a key only in the right side?
This would allow the 2 tires to turn opposite for tech, but would allow the left tire to lift in the turns without losing forward motion.   
Just a thought....

Offline CPD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2007, 01:32:19 pm »
try runing a 10 inch or so pulley on the motor.

cpd

Offline tgames64

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2007, 05:32:33 pm »
Are you only turning left, or both left and right?
If you're only going left, why not weld or otherwise lock your differential and then run a key only in the right side?
This would allow the 2 tires to turn opposite for tech, but would allow the left tire to lift in the turns without losing forward motion.   
Just a thought....

No, giving advise on how to get around tech inspections is never good advise. In some organizations that maybe legal but I keep referring to his comment on , "stock ". Nothing stock about that.

try runing a 10 inch or so pulley on the motor.

Bad idea, even if you could fit it. Stock motors and transaxles are simply not made for that extra torque and speed.

As stated above, go by the rules and make sure they do to or simply don't race with them. Building a illegal mower to beat a cheating mower is a bunch of crap. I wouldn't stand for it and hope you won't either.
Ted Ames
AKA, Cranky Ole Fart
www.sglmra.com

Offline briggsracer1892

• Turf Warrior
  • wheeee
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2007, 11:20:49 pm »
I was wondering if you are allowed to do anything to the chassis? If you are,you could try getting rid of,or locking up the pivot on the front axle. Or I have seen guys put bolts in from the top so that you can preload the chassis,this may help so that the inside tire does not lift so much and lose traction.

sorry mightymowe i didnt see that you already posted that sry neeed glasses  :epunch:
sit down, hold on, shut up

Offline nor66

• Highly Mowtivated
  • Ron Leavitt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 09:02:00 am »
The track is fine, I just don't want to run in the back....
   You just need to mess with the gearing a little to get a little more top end, and I would drop down in tire size,which will also change gearing too, and experiment with the air pressure, You will be amazed at what a little air pressure adjustment will do!!  (Don't stoop to cheating! not cool)
Ron Leavitt #2 1/2
IF IT IS DIFFICULT... We can do it!!!
IF IT IS IMPOSSIBLE... It just takes us longer!!!!

Offline 2000ssm6

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 06:02:38 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys! We have played with the pulleys/tires and have them about right. I think we will focus on "driving" now, I need more seat time on the track....