Author Topic: Spicer  (Read 7101 times)

Offline Shrek

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Spicer
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:57:29 pm »
I have a Spicer transaxle that came out of a Craftsman 5 or 6 speed with reverse.
Is it the same thing as a Peerless looks like it?
I AM BANNED

Offline mtd91

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Spicer
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 11:13:33 pm »
No.Spicers are junk.Well they are alright for Imow and that is it.Peerless are the best.There is no comparison.

Offline Shrek

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 02:28:41 am »
Anyone else???????????????????????  :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
I AM BANNED

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 04:23:13 am »
You want to hear it again?

If your build is NOT going to incorporate a modified engine, it MAY stand up well for you. If you're building to a prepared class, where you have lots of horsepower and torque, it's gonna fall apart. That point's been reiterated several dozen times on this forum, in respect to Spicer and Foote transaxles and transmissions and we're really getting tired of repeating it.

Offline chuckm

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:34:24 am »
What falls apart on these transaxles? that they are junk!
And what makes peerless better in this catagory! not the 800 series.
Chuck Moritz
Sutton, Nebraska
age 58

Offline mtd91

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 10:54:18 am »
It is as simple as this,spicers are just as bad as footes.The keys shear the inputshafts break the axles break.NEED any more reasons?Peerless is the best they dont have these probs as offen cause they are alot better made!!!

Offline crocco58

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 08:30:20 pm »
Spicer took over foote so they are the same and you can change the parts around in them to.
Team Preferred Charters #58
Potter Valley Lawn Mower Racing Association

Offline snaponmower729

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 12:36:45 am »
I am not sure if these guys have much experience with the 2000 series of spicer transaxles but I run one on
my mower and I am running a 14 hp kohler that puts out about 35 hp and I have had good luck with it and the
only thing that I have had break on it is the shift keys and I have been racing with it for three years now. But I
also race a mower with a Peerless 350 transmission with a few modifications and that has been a bullet proof setup.

Offline DJROMANOX

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 10:15:35 pm »
I have a 6 speed spicer an it won't go into gear no more, what could that be

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 10:26:40 am »
we ran some spicer foote transaxles last year and we ran some peerless transaxles. we kept having problems with shift keys in the peerless one and had no problems with the foote's so I guess we got lucky.

I think sometimes people chime in and give an opinion based on what they read and not experience just my 2 cents

Offline badger44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 12:48:08 am »
you have gotton reply's that peerless is the better transaxle. I to agree but just food for thought. I ran a spicer flipped with the spiders welded reverse chain in it for 8 years with not one issue. Then finaly BOOOOOM. Some things work and some times they dont. Wear is the big factor for any trans-transaxle. But no more transaxles for me, 700 peerless all the way.
Chuck

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 07:31:35 am »
I think anyone here that has been doing this even for a little bit agrees the 700 is the best bet right now in our sport. BUT to tell someone new that there machine will suck if they have anything less then a 700 or 820 is not what this board is about. We need to be wise in our advice and understand that some folks don't have 700's and 820's laying around. We have had our share of problems with all of them so my opinion is listen to the folks that have been doing this for a long time and race prep what you got and go have fun now. Don't wait till you can afford race transaxles and race preped 700's or you will never get on the track.

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 05:28:20 pm »
BUT to tell someone new that there machine will suck if they have anything less then a 700 or 820 is not what this board is about.
Who said that?
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 08:33:39 pm »
It wasn't said like that in this thread but it is always implied by alot of people that nothing less then a peerless will do. It drives me nuts when someone comes on here asking if his foote 4 speed will be a good racer and everyone shoots it down and goes right for you need a 700 hundred series peerless to run good. You can do the same things to a foote that you wuld do to a 205 or 930 and have alot of fun with it. will it last as long as a 700 NO (I get that) but to discourage someone from a foote is not right. Maybe they don't have the $500 that it will take for all the other things that go with a 700. Lets face it a lot of people are not racing right know because of money lets not chase off the ones who want to try it. Thats my rant what ever

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 08:45:25 pm »
With that said.....  :lock:
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"