Author Topic: Deck legalities  (Read 8496 times)

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« on: March 08, 2006, 06:34:07 pm »
Okay, even though I'm a little higher than the 4" minimum frame to ground clearance, getting a deck in at 2.5" is proving difficult.   I've got half a dozen or more decks out in the bone yard, different manufacturers.   The tallest measure 4" or higher, the shortest 3"

Even at 5" to the frame, a 3" thick deck comes in 2" from the ground.   That ain't legal.

Can I cut some off the bottom of the deck to shorten it's height?  Can I mount the top of the deck above the floorboards?  That would make a nice foothold, but I doubt this would be legal as it's kinda stretching that stock location line.

With all those decks out there it seems silly to have to go BUY another!!!

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Deck legalities
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:09:26 pm »
Lay a straight edge across the top so it extends out over the edge then from the bottom of the straight edge measure and mark 1.5 inches down from that point on down cut it off. And you will be legal even at 4 inches frame height. Think about it 4 inches minus 2.5 is 1.5. Thats where you get the deck side height.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 10:30:03 pm »
You can cut the deck, or if you find one close (mine was just slightly over 2") you could "roll" the lower lip or edge discretely to give it a stock look..

Rule states you can attach deck "to" the running board, I have seen many that were mounted flush to the board to provide a little more footing...

Foot restraints can't be over 2" high...(over floor board) doesn't really address sinking your heel in a tad...

I sent pics of my AP set up to Jim Witt (USLMRA Head Tech) for verification, he said.."as long as I'm not over 2",  I shouldn't have a problem with my set up"...

We as racers are to "police ourselves" in keeping with the spirit of the rules (as well as tech inspection)...If you feel yours may be questionable send him a pic for a ruling or verification...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Fast Eddie

• View Profile
mower deck
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 01:48:41 am »
Well put thats the best way to explain that head scratching task . Keep up the good work George & AKA Randy
Racing is a feeling that you never forget or ever get over . LETS RACE!

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 01:24:48 pm »
I was wondering what you thought of this as far as the deck goes
David Peters

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2006, 02:52:01 pm »
Hard to see in pic, but they don't extend more than 2" past tire sidewall do they...?

Other than that look good...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 05:32:11 pm »
they are actualy inside the tire sidewall by about 1/2an inch and the tractor is 34 inches wide. I made the running boards then found out that I had to have factory mower decks so I cut some pieces and put them on.They were only about 1 1/2 inch tall so I got about 3 inches ground clearance. I like the look of rear fenders and I had that piece from a rototiller that when turned around looked like a fender so I put it on.
David Peters

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 06:13:17 pm »
Thanks guys!!

After reading what George had to say, now I've got another plan for yall to consider.

There is a sizable slop to the floorboard, the front being higher.   My plan was to go flush, or slightly below.  Still is.

HOWEVER, instead of cutting it parallel with the floorboard, which would put a slant to deck, what about cutting it parallel to the ground, but still parallel with the floorboard on top?  This would make the deck about an inch thicker in the front while maintaining a consistant ground clearance.

Either way would look kinda funny, but before I go cutting and welding, which makes things a little harder to change, I thought I might hear a few opinions.

If it seems like I'm taking forever to get this rascal done, I am.   The race shop is at my partners, so I only get to work on it hit and miss.  Which is about as fast money comes in to get parts with!  LOL

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 06:23:12 pm »
Now we're getting into personal preference, But I'd go parallel to ground both top and bottom, and then "blend" it into the slope of the floorboard...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2006, 08:42:10 pm »
Mighty mow What class you building for. If AP you might want to send a picture to Jim Witt for his opinion. If its an AP the floor pans you have there that the deck is welded to I don't think will pass inspection for an AP mower.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2006, 09:17:47 pm »
well after blowing that engine in the first race that I was in I am going to put the 11hp Honda on there that I had on my last tractor and call it an F/X so that I can at least keep up with my sons on there tractors.Up here in Canada where we race we dont have any classes its mostly just for putting on a show. the one race we were in last summer they raced 11hp and under,12 hp and up,and super modified.They kept moving me and my boys up untill we raced with the supermodifieds,and in the feature  my son and I had lapped all but one tractor. The other guys are starting to take it more seriously and we hope to have some competition soon.
David Peters

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2006, 11:00:33 pm »
OK then since you are not running US races I would say you have a good looking hot rod there. Sounds like you and your son has done your home work.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 07:10:31 am »
We would like to come down to the states at least one time and see how we are doing and we just might some time.My son liked this chassis and we looked at your rules and the fx class allowes you to copy this chassis out of tubing so he built one and put sheet metal from another tractor on it. it works good but it probably wouldent pass inspection either because the sheet metal was from a tractor with a stamped chassis.So maby we will start building again, we are having just as much fun building as racing(well almost).
David Peters

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 08:36:33 am »
You are correct in that the sheet metal must be from the original tubed typed chassis. And if you build FX the deck halves do not need to be there. The running boards he has on the you have now will be sufficient in the fx class. There will be a race in Prentice Wisconnsin end of the year, its a local race I will be attending it lord willing and has some real good machines attending that event. National Champions at that. So it fairly close to canada not sure if close to you but it is close to cananda. Even had a canadian cross the border and race with us last year. Don't remember his name though. Squidd the human encyclopedia may know. Just jerking ya chain Squidd, LOL
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Deck legalities
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 01:39:16 pm »
The Guy from Canada is Pat Beauchemin 139...

8)
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A