Author Topic: Floating valves  (Read 5162 times)

Offline allntexas

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Floating valves
« on: March 07, 2006, 06:13:13 am »
I asked this question in another thread and got no response, so I thought why not start a new one?  I have a 20HP Intek that seems to be floating the valves at high RPM's since I installed a new billet flywheel.

How exactly do you do double springs? I have heard that you can use springs from an 8HP Briggs and put them inside the stock Inteck springs. Do you use intake with intake and exhaust with exhaust, or some other combination? Will the stock retainers work for this or do I need to get some other retainers? And what are the specs for gapping the valves on a 20 Hp Intek? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis Drake
IMOW,S/P,B/P #168
Dennis Drake #68
2011,2013,2014 C/P LSMRA Points Champion

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Floating valves
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 10:03:01 am »
With the billet flywheel you are now reving faster and higher quicker than you have in the past.  Stock springs new are good to roughly 55 to 6000 rpm. Older they get the less they can take. This allows the valves to bounce uncontroled at higher rpms. Dual valve springs are a matched set of springs that are stiffer and last longer than the stock springs. They are designed to rev higher and longer than the original springs and allow the use of higher lift cams. Their seat pressure and closed pressures are higher than stock. We sell them here at E.C. Distributing. We have the springs just got them in. We are working on the billet retainers now. They will use the existing half moon keeprs on your valves. I have heard some using a spring from like A 3 OR 4 hp motor and putting them inside the larger diameter springs like in the 8 or 12 hp motors but your intek uses a smaller diameter spring and thus it might fit inside the 8hp spring. But your retainers will not be big enough to fit the bigger diameter spring. Hope this helps and not confused you even more.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Floating valves
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 10:12:17 am »
I forgot your last question, stock setting is .004 to .006 on intake and .006 to .008 on exhaust but if you have a non stock cam then the settings should be set to your cams manufactures recommendations. Example my modified ohv briggs vanguard cam I have run is .012 intake and .014 exhaust. Now the one in my indian is .005 on both. Like I said it all depends on the cam manufactures recommendations for their paticular grind.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

anything