Author Topic: Understanding E.C. Distributing Mower Front axle geometry  (Read 154870 times)

Offline shimmy16

• View Profile
Re: Understanding E.C. Distributing Mower Front axle geometry
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2008, 10:52:04 pm »
i'm an old racecar guy  , but ; when it comes down to caster & camber it's all about how much tire tread is on the track(camber) said easily,when going through a corner you want as much tire surface on the track as possible; so for a road coarse you probably want 50/50.(caster) is usually driver preference,especially with power steering by armstong.lol.
I DONT KNOW IF ANYBODY EVER TRIED TIRE TEMPS ,BUT IT'S THE BEST WAY TO KNOW WHAT YOUR CHASISSE/MOWCHINE IS DOING.BY CHECKING TIRE TEMPS ,YOU CAN GET AN AVERGE TEMP;BY CHECKING OUTSIDE ,MIDDLE ,AND INSIDE OF A TIRE AND YOU WILL KNOW IF IT'S ON THE GROUND/TRACK .THE CLOSER YOU GET YOUR TIRE TEMPS THE BETTER,TIRE TEMPS ARE TAKEN WITH A PYROMETER.
Shimmy16
President,GRASS GLADIATORS
super sportsman #16

driver in til you see god .....then brake!

Offline wayne shaffer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2008, 09:30:22 pm »
I have a question if you want the chassis to lift the inside rear tire when your in the turn, then why would you want the inside tire
air pressure so low? I know running the low pressure will make it want to turn left but when you go into the turn your tire is going to
lift up in the air, or is it to help with the start of your turn before that tranfer happens? I hope I worded it right and sorry to ask
this question I'm just thinking if your inside tire pressure is low you'll fight it down the straight and in the coner it won't really be in use.
Again sorry if I'm sounding really stupid right now but I'm just trying to learn.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2008, 10:50:04 pm »
helps going in and coming off. Straights are so short you don't feel the effect. Just like sprint car we want stagger but it is illeagal so we get it with tire pressure. Also less pressure means there is less weight on that corner.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline BrewMeister

• View Profile
    • Hoppin Frog Brewing Co.
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2009, 05:37:33 pm »
ok, so I finished my front axle only to find out that the spindles I was going to use off an atv werent going to work with any hubs. So I bought a set from APS and without checking I welded them on and after mounting the front tires it turns out that there is a lot of neg camber. So I ask this before I cut everything off and reweld it: is there such thing as too much neg camber on a dirt track? I understand that if the tires sat at a 45* angle that would be rediculous, but, what about 20*? I'm not sure what * im at right now but I really dont want to cut em off.

I thought that neg camber was good especially when your wanting your inside tires to lift. My understanding was always that with negative camber as you proceed thru the turn the weight transfer sets the tire upright to a zero* camber level; thus putting the whole footprint of the tire on the ground. Ill post pics later if that will help, I just have to go read the thread on how to do it.

Thanks!

Joe
....MowJo Racing....

Brewer - Hoppin Frog Brewing Co.
http://hoppinfrog.com

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 11:51:49 pm »
That is correct...assumng you have suspension.
With a solid axle your tires aren't going to get much flatter than they are sitting still.
If you set up right and get the left rear lifting, you'll get a little out of right fron, but very little!
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Dawg

• "Bully Dawg Racing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2009, 12:03:05 pm »
Do you take a payment plan on your front ends LOL.. About broke  :( trying to build one of these mowers..
"You win some, lose some, and wreck some."
"To finish first, you must first finish."
"Nobody remembers who finished second but the guy who finished second."
"Racing is dangerous, but I've been in a lot worse situations as a pipe fitter."
"MMMMM HMMMM..."

Offline Allstar9031

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2009, 10:14:52 am »
George, When you say
" A mower needs to have the steering geometry set up so that it will lower the inside front wheel and raise the outside front wheel in relation to the chassis at corner turn-in."  I'm getting a little confused with the " wheel raise, wheel lower "  Are you saying that what needs to happen is that the chassis needs to get closer to the ground on the front right , and further from the ground on the front left ? of vise versa ?
Gus

Offline DanW

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2009, 11:04:05 am »
Push the inside front down, pull the outside front up.  Going through a turn this will raise the inside rear tire off the ground (if the chassis is stiff enough) because your momentum will rock the mower forward putting pressure on the outside front, allowing you to turn effortlessly with a posi traction setup.  This is how kart guys get a "suspension" without actually having one. 

Offline Allstar9031

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2009, 11:22:16 am »
So Dan, are you saying that the chassis needs to get closer to the ground on the right front, creating a pivot point between the left front and right rear, lightening the load on the left rear and allowing slippage of that wheel?
Gus

Offline tjbryner

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • FTFMRS
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2009, 11:40:43 am »
I wouldn't say the chassis gets closer. When you turn left and every thing is set right and built correctly the tires make some what of an sweeping arc. This makes the tire push down on the ground. The chassis should tilt (but not twist). I hope this helps

Offline DanW

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2009, 11:55:12 am »
So Dan, are you saying that the chassis needs to get closer to the ground on the right front, creating a pivot point between the left front and right rear, lightening the load on the left rear and allowing slippage of that wheel?
Yup!

Offline Allstar9031

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2009, 01:39:50 pm »
Thank you Dan and TJ for the info. This post and you guys clarification is going to help out so much.

Gus

Offline taters

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2009, 06:00:03 pm »
"Excellent Read" thanks "George" !

Offline Lambo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2010, 09:16:43 pm »
I mounted my EC front end on my A/P. It's a Huffy with a mid mount engine. The problem I'm having is that it doesn't bite well when I'm cornering with the engine not sitting over the front wheels. I just push to the outside of the turn until I let off on the gas. Do I need to add weight?, or adjust the settings? Currently all the settings are in a neutral position. Suggestions??

Lambo
Precise Preparation Promotes Perfect Performance

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2010, 09:25:30 pm »
How much caster and how much tow out are you running. HOW much do you weigh. How far back have you moved the motor.
OH and what tires are you running.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

anything