Author Topic: steering questions  (Read 3408 times)

pastfast125

steering questions
« on: February 23, 2006, 02:27:25 am »
OK, I've read a lot about all this toe in toe out, camber, all tha tstuff..Well, if I have a mower that is gonna be set up to go fast, like maybe 30mph, but then switched a lot for torque and wheeling in the woods, should I just leave everything at the stock settings? ( I'm redoing the front end).

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
steering questions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 06:57:36 am »
Your biggest benifit from "redoing" the front end will come form tightening it up...

"Stock" is pretty loose and sloppy and floppy...adding ball ends or tie rod ends to steering linkages and replacing bushings or adding bearings will go along way toward adding "control" whether going fast or technical manuvering thru the woods...

A little toe out will quicken steering, toe in will be more direct in the straights...at speed toe out can make the machine "wander" and hunt for a line...

A little castor (top of King pin back) will help in steering "recovery" (pull wheel back to center) at speed or slow..

Camber is mostly for controling lateral "roll" of tire at speed keeping larger portion of footprint on track in corners...and some is inherent when adding castor...

So how much you add of each really depends on how much time you'll be going fast, compared to how much you'll be crawling and twisting in the woods...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

pastfast125

steering questions
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 04:46:28 pm »
well, from the looks of it now, since we have a hydro tranny, we cant make it go fast, so it's gonna be a woods only machine. So what would your suggestion be for that?