Author Topic: 'Nother AP Question...  (Read 181424 times)

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2006, 08:52:38 am »
Quote from: "johntaves"
I don't understand how the two pulley twist thing makes a difference. If you have a touchy clutch, don't you just need to change the pedal  to clutch ratio?

I can see how the two pulley thingy would be easier to set up because you  just rotate it more to take out more slack, but ultimately I don't see the difference.

Can you explain?

jt
Wish I would have taken a picture of the "opperating" one pulley system I had before switching...

I am not saying the two pulley is "better than" a one pulley system, but in my particular case...(short distance between engine & trans pulley, short belt and short throw on pedal) it was more "effecient" to take up the slack with two pulley "twist" than to try to leverage the longer throw of the one pully setup...

IE: 1" of throw on pedal needed to be 2" of throw on the one pulley to take up slack...movement was "amplified"...(touchy)

With this two pulley system..1" of pedal throw =1" of pully movement but with two pulleys "twisting" I get 2" of slack taken up...and pedal "feels" twice as forgiving...
...don't you just need to change the pedal to clutch ratio? ...

Yes ..and No...

It's all about applied leverage..within the confines of (my) fixed parameters...Meaning, I could not change the "ratio" with out changing the system..I also have limiting factors on available pedal throw in that I prefer the short throw pedal, and do not want to have to move my foot 4"-5" just to get the clutch to work right...

On some other system/mowchine with a longer belt layout,  more pedal movement available, or less slack required for engage/disengagement, a single pulley system can work just fine...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2006, 11:45:07 am »
Best way I can explain the twist pull two pulley clutch is you can use a bigger belt than with a single, and with that give more slack when clutching wich gives a better clucth with simply slipping the belt and possibly flat spotting it AND it gives a better feel when releasing the clutch more control and not simply an in or out type feel. You can slip it more, so to speak and get a gradual launch or like in a lemans dump it and go but the dump with a twist pull two pulley clutch is still much smoother with some slippage (not as apt to choke the motor) when you are desperatly trying to get off the line quickly in a lemans start. I have used this two pulley twist type clutch from day one of my racing no matter the legnth of belt it has been a very effiecient and durable and forgiving setup.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2006, 01:00:20 pm »
That's a good way of describing it George...

The difference in "feel" is night and day...

With the single pulley I had a bit of "drag" on belt which dragged down starter effeciency...with Two Pulley I have clean disengagement and free spinning starts...

With single pulley, engagement was "in/out" Pop a wheelie or snuff the motor...not much play for slippage , unless you "feathered" the pedal...(hard to do under race pressure)

With the Two Pulley system, engagement is smooth, gradual and yet solid... very "forgiving" is a good discription...

I had a two pulley system on my IMOW and liked it...Quick starts won a lot of races in that class...Thought I would try the single pulley on the A/P ....(Why..? Because I can... :lol: ) but not happy with results...so we change...

Same mowchine(gearing etc..) with different clutch system and again...difference is night and day...smooooth.. 8)
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline johntaves

• View Profile
    • PNWSoft
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #93 on: June 19, 2006, 01:24:08 am »
Thanks, I will try the twist type. I haven't been happy with mine.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Greenwood
« Reply #94 on: June 26, 2006, 06:39:58 pm »
Dang, went and fell off my Mowchine again... :oops:

Dang hay bale went and jumped out right in front of me... :x (actually kinda hard to avoid when the tires ain't touching the ground, had a good dip and rise coming out of turn four...)

Fortunately I landed on my head, and no damage was done... 8)

Two pulley clutch works as expected, and a smooth start in the feature got me out to second...(seeing how I had to start in the back "again"... :lol: )

Power from the 22 didn't take long to catch the leader, follow for a few laps and position for a pass...

After that, it was all clean air in front and not much longer I had "breathing room" behind me...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2006, 01:29:19 pm »
Don Gienger built Briggs running strong at Fifield and Wausau..!!!

With a good start, I can lap traffic, but a couple of  times I ended up in back and had to work my way to the front...(still working on "quick start" issues)(edit: crap in the carb.. :x )

Had a white flag/last lap pass for win at Fifield heat, and 1/2 lap Win on Feature...

And a three wide "Drag" down the front straight for a "Photo Finish" Heat win  at Wausau...That's the kind of stuff that brings the crowds to their feet!! Feature win  not as Climatic....

"Threading the Needle"   8)

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2006, 07:08:40 pm »
One more for the 22 Special... 8)

Medford under the lights...Finely got the "starting" issues worked out. (crap in the carb, good cleaning and starts "almost instantly")

Went out for practice runs and belt seemed to be slipping...No Biggy, back to pits and slip on a new one...

Second practice still had the "slipping"...played with shift lever and found the "shift keys" were letting the tranny slip...

So...20 minutes before the first race I'm pulling the tranny and putting in the back up...Still tightening last bolt on chain guard as they call to the line...and the LC Pres says..."You gonna make it..?" I figure if it will pull from the pits to the line...I'm going out on the track...

Quick start gives me clean air,  a win in the heat and Poll position for the feature..

Quick starting also got me out front in the feature...and the bonus of "lapping" the field for the win.. (much easier than starting in back and having to work your way to front....)

One of these days I'll wash the mowchine before I take pictures... :lol:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #97 on: July 09, 2006, 11:12:15 pm »
Why lap the field when you know you can. Why not make it look like a good race more pleasing for the crowd and trust me won't be as lonely on top. Go to michigan doubles and see how fast it is against Becker. 22 cubes ain't enough. That Indian is right at 31.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #98 on: July 09, 2006, 11:24:48 pm »
I agree with the close racing George...but after my "starting" issues and the come from the back wins, I wanted to check my pace before Mi. races...

See, some of these "local" racers were there at Mendota...and on same lap as I...so after gearing, clutch, starting and chassis bugs have been worked out...gaining a lap lets me know I'm right where I want to be for MI...

Win..?  I don't know...we'll see...but I'm betting I'll be right on his tail making him nervous... :twisted:

One little "twitch" is all I need from him...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2006, 11:53:06 pm »
You ain't never seen him turn it loose I have. You didn't see anything in Mendota. Good luck you gonna need it chasing him.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #100 on: July 09, 2006, 11:57:47 pm »
Well then I guess we're gonna make him work for it..!! 8)
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2006, 07:18:50 am »
Would be nice if you could but I doubt you will make him break a sweat even. We'll see though like I said good luck you will need it.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2006, 12:40:00 pm »
Nothing like putting the pressure on to perform George... :lol:

I'm gonna go out and give it my best shot... Got a decent motor and a good ride....

Sure I'm out gunned by 9"  but David only had rocks and a sling and look what he did... :wink:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #103 on: July 24, 2006, 10:04:37 pm »
While we didn't get to do the head to head battle everyone was expecting, (Becker broke out on Saturday, and starter/Battery issues kept me from racing Sunday..)...I did get my First National A/P Feature Win, for the Gienger 22 Special...

While I don't know that he was sweating it George, he sure was looking over his shoulder A LOT as I was chasing him down in the heat race...something I didn't see him do on Sunday...

8)

Lotta good competition there this weekend... That was some close racing...in all the classes...and we raised what...$15,000 for Huntingtons disease...and even got taped for an MTV Special coming up Sept 18.. :wink:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #104 on: July 24, 2006, 10:14:54 pm »
Way to go brother Squidd!

Yee Haw!

anything