Author Topic: 'Nother AP Question...  (Read 182213 times)

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #105 on: July 24, 2006, 10:16:21 pm »
Bring it to Nationals and he will have his good motor back on it by then. He blew up Saturday and kept looking over his shoulder to see how hard not to push trying to make it he weekend. Then slapped another on it for Sunday  a better one but still not the good one, and did what he had to do to win/finish. He had the motor figured out to a lap on durablilty. he blew it on the victory lap. Hence he pushed it to the pits. I am not taking anything from you or your motor, BUT as I have said before I have seen his go and doubt yours or anyone elses will ever make him break a sweat when he has his big motor on it. Just my obsevations. And congrats on your victory. To finish first FIRST you must finish.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #106 on: July 24, 2006, 10:30:24 pm »
That is true...It's amazing how much stuff breaks at a National race... :shock:

A guy can go week after week on the LC level with nothing (or just minor irritations) ..then come Nats almost anything can break or fall off...

Must be cause we're pushing it just that much harder... :wink:

And hey...there is no doubt that he is fast.. with whatever motor he runs...

Just raises the bar for the rest of us...Heck, if it was easy...we'd all be National Champions.... 8)
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2006, 10:35:39 pm »
EASY, yea it sure isn't easy, my starts sucked this weekend and then I have to fight my way back to the front to break while going for the lead. Yea I am becoming used to all the set backs this year!!!! Good luck and try hi next time.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2006, 09:43:36 pm »
Been quite a year..and noticed I hadn't posted here for awhile...

So I'll try to recount the races with the good and the bad (like George, I had a few "set backs" as well)...starting with the Sparta Nats above...

Seems Things were going well (too well) after working the bugs out in the 22 from the first race, I had a string of Victorys...Even running Saturday at Sparta, a crummy start and still worked my way to the front for a win..

But then Sunday morn, getting ready for another shot at it I was firing up the A/P and she kicked back and ate a gear...No biggie, I just throw in a backup starter...(and this is where the "fun" begins... :? )

If you remember a few pages back, how I modify the starter bolt holes to get full engagement, and grind the "bump" off the top to clear the flywheel...seems I didn't grind "enough" off my back up starter and it was rubbing on the bottom of the flywheel... :oops:

So I slap in the back up starter and try cranking it over...It's turning slow and jerky and making all kinds of noise (besides draining my battery down)...

I grab the flywheel and try turning the motor by hand and feel this grinding/clunking and my mind blanks out..."I Blew My Motor after the feature yesterday...ARGHHH.."  :x  (at this point I wasn't thinking "starter" I figured the motor bound up on cool down the night before)...

Add in it's almost time to practice and I decide to pull the motor and run the back up...I drove all this way, I'm gonna run something...

So we pull the motor and install the back up with the same starter and it grinds and grumbles worse than the first..!!!

Now I'm really bumming..thinking I got TWO bad motors and their calling IMOW Heat to the line...I'm done for the day...Bummer...

So I figure I'll open the 22 to see what the damage is...and THERE AIN'T ANY..!!! :shock:

So I go back to the backup motor and spin 'er a few more times and start seeing this aluminum dust coming out by the starter... :o Now I know what it is, pull the starter sure enough...grind the hump down a bit more and reinstall...

Battery has just enough to turn 'er once or twice and she fires!! :D  I'm gonna be running !!! Put on  charger cause the battery is dead...

So the feature gets called and I get dressed and go to start...NUTTIN.... :x

Battery didn't take a charge after all that grinding and it ain't gonna start...

Now I'm really Bumming... Perfectly good motor tore apart in the trailer and back up won't start cause the battery puked...

Talk about your "setbacks"...  :lol:

Oh well, at least I got a nice scenic 9 hour drive to fume over it on the way back... :twisted:
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2006, 10:49:57 pm »
Speaking of "setbacks"...

Hayward Wi... Coming off a National victory I'm ready to run...

Get out for the heat, starts well and run to the front...about 4-5 laps into it She starts sputtering and losing power... :shock:

Dang flywheel sheared the key (I must not of had 'er torqued tight after switching back from Sparta) so I pull off for a dismal heat finish...

Re Keyed and ready to run the feature...Again a good start (from the back) and out in front...

But then she starts stumbling when I let off the gass to enter the turn...clears right up when I squeeze the throttle so I go another lap or two..

Let off stumble ..squeeze clears up...

So I pull off the track to see whats up and see my carb hanging down by one bolt... :o

When I squeezed the throttle, the spring and linkage would hold 'er tight and she'd run, then let off and she'd fall loose and stumble...

Worst part was I sucked sand big time...gritted up the rings and lost all compression...

OK..another setback...
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
'Nother AP Question...
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2006, 10:57:32 pm »
You need to ditch your friend Murphy.... LOL

That is why it is not easy to just even run good each week, much less get a win or a series championship.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"