Author Topic: 11 hp craftsman build  (Read 8650 times)

Offline seal2177

• View Profile
11 hp craftsman build
« on: March 30, 2007, 02:15:18 am »
I am new to LMR. I have been doing demolition derby builds and compitition for 6 years and am ready to chage to somthing that I can use for more then one (maybe two) seasons.

I have aquired a 11hp cratsman lawn mower I do not know what year it. but When I got it the guy offerd me a complete rebuild kit for the engine he had lying around. After the rebuild and some, sand blasting, and some paint, I have a great looking engine....how do you think this engine will hold up for racing. I do not know what year it. I have completed most of my mower with changing the tranny (out of an old MTD with an H pattern shift (is this a good choice?) have a 8 inch pully on the engine and a 6 inch on the tranny. my kill swith is installed as well as my foot throttle. Any other suggestions for making this better?...Im open to all ideas if anyone has any let me know. thanks. I can post pictures if any would like to see them to better assist me

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: 11 hp craftsman build
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 06:58:46 am »
I would sugest you download a set of rules and specs from the sanctioning body in your area, that you willl be racing with...

In there you will find specs for classifications and an at that point we will be able to help you pick a class the mowchine and your budget is suited for.... and then build to those specs...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline seal2177

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:04:05 am »
Do you mean you think the body is too high for any ruels...thanks for the tip I will go down and pick up a copy tommorow ...Thanks again

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 10:04:27 am »
Do you mean you think the body is too high for any ruels

No.

...thanks for the tip I will go down and pick up a copy tommorow ...Thanks again

Wish I could just "GO DOWN" and pick up rules :confused:

Check out our posted organization rules in the COFFEE SHOP.

how do you think this engine will hold up for racing.

Depends on class

my kill swith is installed as well as my foot throttle
If you search around on this site you will see that most if not all racers use a hand throttle.

Please post some pics...we always like pics!

Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline seal2177

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2007, 12:09:37 am »
the foot pedal is what all the local guys had ...my design works great so I thought Id stick with it
here is another notice how I stretched the body 8 inches ...spilt the frame and welded a plate that streched it....if you cant see it good in this pic ill post more tommorow

this system only allows me to post one at a time....next ,.,,,,,,the engine
heres the engine...i have yet to paint the body....and do the roll bars ...and mount the battery.....but it will be done soon...like I said the engine is complety rebuilt, and sandblated ...then painted...let me know if any knows any quick tricks for better performance on this engine...

tractorman

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2007, 07:38:18 am »
really coudlnt see where you split the frame. You really didnt need to do that you could of actually made it wider. For engine quick thing port and polish bigger valves. No govener alluminam flywheel. better srings

Offline Tom Fox

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2007, 07:48:43 am »
I guess with the altered frame and body you will be building this to use with your local organization.  Most classes that USLMRA and ARMA have require you to use an unaltered wheelbase. Only USLMRA F/X class and ARMA PRO-X Class allow any type of wheel base alteration.

If you wish, when you get a set of rules, post them here and we can help along with your build.

Good Luck.
Tom Fox       
Brookfield, CT

Offline seal2177

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 12:59:49 am »
as soon as I get a copy of the rules Ill post them.....does anyone have any pics of there braking sytem...looking for somthing effective yet inexpensive...any pics of a setup would relly help me...

Offline mowmaster

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 12:24:38 pm »
I dont know about inexpensive, but everyone I know has hydrolic disc brakes in the rear, meaning
you would have to mount a hand throttle, and then mount your brake pedal on the right. The most common setup i think is brake on the right, clutch on the left, and hand throttle on the steering
wheel. Hope that helps, lets see some more pics! :party:
Andrew
Certified MIG, TIG, ARC, and HeliArc.

Offline TheMowinCuban

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 10:20:25 am »
If your local organization allows it, you should go with a hand throttle, because if your flying around a corner, mower bouncing every wich way, and your tryin to keep your feet on the footholds, how are you going to control your throttle when you can barely keep your foot on the pedal? Whereas on a hand throttle, it's ALOT easier to control the throttle (and it looks cooler to  ;) ) Puttin a foot throttle on a mower is like puttin one on a bull and goin to the Rodeo.
Another thing, i don't see why you had to lenghten the frame, because like tractorman said, you are much better off widening the frame, or not even touching the frame at all!!! Also, adding that extra metal to your frame to lengthen it just added excess weight to your mower!

Last thing: if you have a copy of your racing group's rules, can you Please post them here for us??
Gotta love a good 'ol Briggs Flathead! :thumbsup:

Offline MTDrider1160

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • PALMRA
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 09:13:26 pm »
Just commenting on the hand throttles.  I'm not saying there terrible or anything, but when i come flying around a corner as themowincubin states i want a death grip on that steering wheel but i also want to be able to use the throttle to so thats where a gas pedal helps.  Because of the steering setups on these you feel EVERYTHING you run over with the front wheels, and that wheel gets pretty jerky itself, which kind of means you want a death grip on it all the time.  On my pedal I put that griptape thats on skateboards and its wide enough that my foot fits in it and on the edges theres 5/8 rod pieces welded to it to help keep my foot on but not that it could get caught.  Just my thoughts on that.

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 10:00:54 pm »
Because of the steering setups on these you feel EVERYTHING you run over with the front wheels, and that wheel gets pretty jerky itself, which kind of means you want a death grip on it all the time.
Ummmm...

If that's the case then you don't have your steering linkage and "leverage" set up correctly....

You want control and "finesse" thru the wheel...not a white knuckle "deathgrip"

The goal is to feel you are "one" with the mowchine....
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 02:15:28 pm »
Just commenting on the hand throttles.  I'm not saying there terrible or anything, but when i come flying around a corner as themowincubin states i want a death grip on that steering wheel but i also want to be able to use the throttle to so thats where a gas pedal helps.  Because of the steering setups on these you feel EVERYTHING you run over with the front wheels, and that wheel gets pretty jerky itself, which kind of means you want a death grip on it all the time.  On my pedal I put that griptape thats on skateboards and its wide enough that my foot fits in it and on the edges theres 5/8 rod pieces welded to it to help keep my foot on but not that it could get caught.  Just my thoughts on that.

Well... First I have to agree with Squidd, if set up right you shouldn't need a death grip on the wheel. Regardless, you don't need but one finger on the throttle to begin with, and the remainder can have a death grip on the wheel. Speaking from experience however, we had one track last year that a foot throttle would not have worked at much over an idle, unless you strapped yourself to the mower!! It was rough enough you couldn't keep your feet in place; we were bouncing around so bad, and that we found it impossible to keep your feet in place while attempting to lock them into our footrests. Would not have been possible at all with them floating around for throttle control.

Offline seal2177

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2007, 07:15:34 am »
I have made great progress on this...The thing on the foot throttle is simply this...the rules state you have to have it..no hand throttles allowed...I will be posting pics of the recent upgrades and progress soon as here are a copy of the rules...I know have the exhaust complete...along with the roll bars and a better pulley system setup..
Some other thoughts on the foot throttle...my roll frame is desinged to keep my foot from wandering off to the right..however pressrue on the throttle was a concern..if you note in the rules youll see how it states you must have 2 return springs....I opted to go pretty sturdy with these to keep my foot againt the pedel as much as possible...As far as strecthing the frame goes...I guess my thought was simpley the rules saying it was allowed..and therfore...I built to specs..there is also a limit to your witdt..so I went with that...on multiple test runs...im doing really good around the back feild I got about 5 acers to play on...Handling on the turns could be better but theres plenty of take off....and top speed...I opted to keep the governer on..but as a trick I bent the sping assist bracket to allow higher rpm's but not too much.....Any tricks on the left turn handling.....