Author Topic: MINI ME  (Read 110612 times)

Offline pootrol

• View Profile
Re: MINI ME
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2009, 11:11:43 pm »
yeah i drew the line a while back and thought lets get it done first then ill look at the front drive thing. it wont be to hard to do as everyt hing is designed and built aroung the idea of doing it but depends how exited i get as when this is done ive got other projects in mind....

mover

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2009, 01:01:27 am »
amazing... congratulations, Pootrol !
is it just me? -  all these babys doesn't need and looks much better without any bodys, hoods, skirts, covers.... :  )))))
oh, well , if it has to be - it better be equally impressive....
how's foam  idea - worked? what's your plan on body (panels) built?
again - congratulations, wonderful  : ))))

Offline pootrol

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2009, 05:23:45 am »
amazing... congratulations, Pootrol !
is it just me? -  all these babys doesn't need and looks much better without any bodys, hoods, skirts, covers.... :  )))))
oh, well , if it has to be - it better be equally impressive....
how's foam  idea - worked? what's your plan on body (panels) built?
again - congratulations, wonderful  : ))))

thanks mate. the body is really making it look tough and im really impressed. the foam  is working a treat ,how ever its cost me around 2 cans for each guard. i got it pretty much right first off so ill make templates of them now ive fibre glassed one side and  do the other side.  smooth it completely and paint the windows in black and some body colour that im not sure about right now. was thinking of vinyl wrapping it with real life photos of the sides of a patrol but think thats going too extreme. ill get a pic of how it sits with the pumped guards  fibre glassed and the grille in......i love it any ways

Offline pootrol

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2009, 03:36:42 am »
the gaurds are done and the grille is glassed in.wrapped the steering wheel in cloth then drenched it in resin so should give me some good thickness to sand into shape. speaking of sanding ive got oodles of that in front of me now.

Shot at 2009-10-26

Shot at 2009-10-26

Shot at 2009-10-26

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2009, 09:31:15 am »
WOW.. so the fender skirts worked out well using the foam?

Offline pootrol

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2009, 04:05:12 pm »
WOW.. so the fender skirts worked out well using the foam?

sorry people just noticed double post of a pic so fixed it.

yeah mate it worked really well BUT i was lucky enough to lay the body on its side so it couldnt slide off before it set AND there are differences between brands etc. i used 2 cans per gaurd. the second was purely just a fill in the gaps one. out of the 8 cans there was prob 6 diff brands and 1 was crap. gave a big skin up high and was hollow under. can prices varied between 15 -40 dollars. for the next project im going to buy the sheet of green polyurathane  to create a car body shape . all the gaurds only took 2 hits to get them right,application and shape. using a body file/hand sander and p40 grit it shaped it realy easy. i used my fishing knife to roughly shape it then the sanding file to finish

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2009, 04:57:04 pm »
Are you covering it in Fiberglass resin to give it a skin?

Offline pootrol

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2009, 07:50:44 pm »
yeah sorry.  once shaped with foam i just put down one layer of 300 or 350 gram chopped strand. i got heaps of 450g but thought it would be easier to use the lighter stuff on the bends etc. like i said before this isnt the best way to produce a final product but i couldnt be bothered getting a mould off it then making a body. did a bit of a test sand this morn and found it actually wont come out to bad. i was imagining heaps of body filler but it will only be a very tiny skim to fill the low spots. :woo:

Offline pootrol

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2009, 04:23:22 am »
put some paint on. colour sanded it ready for another final coat so pics arnt super shiny.
also cracked near grille as i was impatient putting body on while paint was soft. well at least i found a weak spot before final coat.

Shot with iPhone at 2009-12-13

Shot with iPhone at 2009-12-13

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2009, 08:39:33 am »
WOW.. that turned out great...

I was re-reading your last post on the body filler on the fiberglass over the foam. I read on the net that you can mix body filler with fiberglass resin to make the skim coat. You can almost paint it on with a brush.

What did you do to smooth the body?

Offline pootrol

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2009, 08:58:45 pm »
WOW.. that turned out great...

I was re-reading your last post on the body filler on the fiberglass over the foam. I read on the net that you can mix body filler with fiberglass resin to make the skim coat. You can almost paint it on with a brush.

What did you do to smooth the body?

i used 40 grit on my electric sander on the fibre glass and i was suprised at how it smoothed out nearly all the lumps and bumps. after that i slim coated the whole thing in body filler then sanded it all smooth again. the primer / filler sanded then couple coats of yellow then sanded now im ready for final coat of yellow....... :worried:

Offline pootrol

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 27, 2009, 08:45:04 pm »
well i might as well say its finished. got couple of little things to do like grille and snorkel inserts, nissan badge, connect the brakes up and find another shockie for the front,steering wheel and maybe a dummie spare wheel.

Shot at 2009-12-26

Shot at 2009-12-26

Shot at 2009-12-26

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #132 on: December 27, 2009, 09:31:53 pm »
That turned out very very nice.... One of the nicer toys I seen in a while.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Wheelhorseracer

« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2010, 12:53:37 pm »
One question. Why do the tread on the front tires face a different direction than the rear tires? Is that on purpose?

Offline Slick Rick

• Turf Warrior
  • Rick Capuano
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2010, 01:09:26 pm »
Looks like he put the rear tires on the wrong side.
Rick Capuano

"Racing is a matter of spirit not strength."
- Janet Guthrie

anything