Author Topic: Exhaust pipe  (Read 24181 times)

Offline TomC

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« on: October 30, 2005, 12:01:53 pm »
Post by Red Horse Racing on Oct 13, 2005, 7:20pm

This might sound like a simpleton question, but what is typically used for exhaust pipe? Muffler shops don't carry anything that small. I've got a couple of ideas, but since I'm not sure they are sane ideas I'll wait to see what's already been tried, what worked, and what didn't.

Thanks for all your inputs!

Dale, in Michigan

Re: Exhaust pipe
Post by Squidd on Oct 13, 2005, 7:55pm

I can show/tell you what I did on mine, but I can't tell you if this is the most "efficient" way to do it...

I did start a thread on this up in the engine forum, asking about different sizes, thickness and length of pipes, looking for a common denominator for efficiency, but didn't get much responce... http://www.heymow.com/viewtopic.php?t=34
George did say, however that EC Dist. can and will do "Dyno testing" and it would be interesting to do a series of tests on a "standard" engine with different configurations to see what the performance gains (an losses) would be..

In the mean time I went with the "18" to 20" length (and trimed back to "burn line) and heavier thickness (for heat retention).... I used a curved piece of 1" ID Chrome tubing from an old motorcycle "Highway Bar" and welded it to a 1/8" thick exhaust flange....
I "worked" and looks nice, but I can't say if it's helping or hurting performance...

Post by Red Horse Racing on Oct 14, 2005, 11:35pm

Hey Squidd,

Thanks! After going to your original post, I rememered reading it. Honestly, I wasn't sure where to post this question but figured no matter where I put it, it would be found.

I've looked at tubing from McMaster-Carr, plan on checking with local steel store as well. I've almost (here is the dumb idea) thought about going to Lowe's and getting some conduit and a conduit bender. CHEAP and easy! LOL

Dale

Post by Squidd on Oct 14, 2005, 11:56pm

Two things on that..three actually,

Conduit at the Hdwr Store is going to be galvinized...and lets off some noxious fumes when you weld it (and probably when it burns as you run it) so be cautious there...

D.O.M. (drawn over mandrel) would be best, but more expensive, but E.W.T. (electricly welded tubing) will be fine as most automotive pipes are made of this...

The tubing benders from the hdwr store will cost you about $30 (a bit much for a one shot deal, OK if your doing multiple pipes) and will only bend an 8" radius in 1" tubing, you may want to be tighter...

Two options would be to buy "tight radius elbows" and weld them to straight tubing, or take a piece of tubing to someone with a set of tubing "dies" on a tubing roller that can bend a tighter radius with no kinking for you...

Now we still have to find out what the most effecient "size" and "length" are to be building these exhaust systems...

Post by HotRodLawnTractor on Oct 15, 2005, 12:54am

I grabbed about 12+ feet of scrap conduit from work this week that I plan to use for exhaust pipe though I don't have a bender or anything similar either. I thought about going either the rout of duals or two-into-one like the stock setup and honestly I think I'll use the latter. I'm still not sure if I want to keep any of the stock exhaust pieces (if there's actually any unoxidized steel left) or use all conduit. I think, though, that I'll at least use the stock flanges and just modify them if I choose the all conduit rout. This weekend I'm going to be very busy as I am finishing my new pulley/clutch setup for the front half of my jackshaft. When all the bugs are worked out of that, then it's time to fab my new front axle. I'll be sure to get pics when it's done.

Post by crafty on Oct 15, 2005, 3:33pm

Heres an idea. I tried the benders and all I did was crimp my pipe together. So I figured out what I wanted it to look like and sat down with a grinder and cut my bends out, welded it back together and installed a custom fit exhaust. I did the 2 into 1 with a 4inch chrome tip and it sounds great and looks good too (if you look past the welds on chrome pipe that is). Just an idea.

Post by Red Horse Racing on Oct 15, 2005, 8:05pm

Uh.... you've never seen my welds have you? LOL All I have is a good old fashioned stick welder, and an unsteady hand.

McMaster has the drawn over mandrel tubing, 6' for $16. Sounds like a lot, but probably enough to do three tractors, which is one more than we are currently working on. Compared to the over all cost, that isn't squat. I still want to check the local guy yet, but his work hours closely match mine which makes it hard to get there when he's open. I do have a need for other steel though, so I guess I'll be having to make it work.

I've always wanted to buy one of those pipe benders in Harbor Freight, is this my excuse???? LOL You would be surprised how many tools I've picked up that I've wanted just because "I need it" now.

Actually, I got a couple of the 11hp Snapper head pipes to start with, and will pipe there, so hopefully there won't be too much bending required. Of course, this will turn out to be hopeful thinking as so many other things have.

What I really need is, TIME to work on these things. A couple hours here and there, once or twice a week doesn't make for getting things built in record time.

Dale, Rambling a bit, in Michigan

Post by HotRodLawnTractor on Oct 15, 2005, 9:59pm

Don't feel bad, Red Horse, I've been working on my tractor for over 6 months now and it's still only a little over half done. I'm just too lazy to work on it sometimes ;D, but really it's just the way I do things. I spend hours sometimes just staring at something to find a way to make it work, but then again, most things turn out pretty well afterward. I just hope I can get it ready for next year's season, lol.

Post by Squidd on Oct 15, 2005, 10:18pm

Quote:
I spend hours sometimes just staring at something to find a way to make it work,

I actually brought a chair out to the garage for just that purpose... ;D

Post by Red Horse Racing on Oct 16, 2005, 3:15am

Hey HotRod! Got you beat, but I don't know as that's a good thing. We went to the build clinic in Wisconsin last spring, and while one tractor technically does move, it's less than half the done. The other is still getting stared at!

One is being built towards IMOW, the other SP. However, under the local rules neither one really fits anywhere, and the Michigan rules are different again. LOL

If we actually get something that works, THEN we'll fine tune to a class and go racing.

Squidd, two things are an absolute necessity in a workshop. One: workbench. Two: chair. If there was room, a small fridge and microwave would be right up there! LOL

Dale, in Michigan

Post by George Herrin on Oct 27, 2005, 8:37pm

Try this for bending tube, cap one end then fill it with wet sand PACK it tightly cap the open end and it will bend the sand keeps it from crushing if packed tightly. Yes it is a caveman way but it works.
George

Post by Squidd on Oct 27, 2005, 9:03pm

I've done that with acrylic and PVC for "other" projects, and was wondering if that would work for pipe...

Do you heat the pipe to bend or just use a bender or some type of form to bend it over....?

Post by George Herrin on Oct 27, 2005, 10:22pm

I make a jig on my work table with smooth curves as a form to manually bend it. I have heard old timers say they heated it but I havn't but then I never made drastic sharp bends either. I would belive if doing sharp tight bends heating may help.
George

Post by Red Horse Racing on Oct 28, 2005, 6:41pm

Hey George, stone age or not, that sounds like one heck of a plan. I would guess, and I wouldn't know, but heating the pipe crammed full of sand would mean you'd have to heat the sand too. That might be a slow process.

Thanks for the tip! It'll come in right handy.

Dale, in Michigan

Post by George Herrin on Oct 28, 2005, 9:17pm

Dale as always I am out to help the racers anyway I can regardless of what some think. I remember where I cam from and how many helped and still help me to get and maintain the level of racing I do. That said as I have said many times before it is my way of giving back to the sport.
George

Post by Red Horse Racing on Oct 28, 2005, 11:41pm

Which is ALWAYS appreciated George!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dale, in Michigan

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Pipe solved
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 07:28:04 pm »
Low budget racing rules again!  The tubing that made up the framework for a canopy which blew down one too many times seems to be just the right diameter to use for an exhaust pipe.

Seems the problem of where to get pipe is now solved, for better or worse.  It's even chrome!!!!!!!!!

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline arcbilletrod

• View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 06:51:26 am »
Move to top
his is TC incognito

Offline Moweracer227

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 06:50:18 pm »
11/4INCH DIAMETER SEEMS TO WORK THE BEST FOR ME----scavanger hunt
Don Whitehead Sr.
Clare, Michigan
2010 AP USLMRA National Champion
2010 US OPEN AP/Mini-Sportsman Champion
2010 Michigan AP Class Points Champion
2009 CP 2nd National Points
2009 AP Michigan Points Champion
2009 AP 9th National Points
2008 AP Michigan Points Champion

Offline flateric13

• View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 02:29:19 pm »
Hi Guys Greeting, from England.

Over here in England, i always use wheel barrow handles!

They are the right size tube, you dont need a pipe bender. Just cut the bends you need and weld it up! Simple!

You just have to make a flange from 5 mm steel plate.

Good luck!

Jason
ohn Deere, Kills Bugs Dead!

2003 and 2005 Blmra Champion

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 07:57:56 pm »
Just got this from Don at G-Team racing...

It's an exhaust "kit"...three pieces of tubing pre bent (1 1/4", 1 3/8", 1 1/2" ) and a couple 1/4" flanges...

With good cutting, I should be able to get two full systems out of it...

Kind of reminds me of the old "header kits" we had to weld up...(before you could buy them premade)...

Will be doing these up shortly for the A/P and Sami's S/S...

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline Red Horse Racing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 08:45:05 pm »
Don's pipes look sweet, but I can't find them on his website.   Tell us more!!

Dale
Wheel Horse of Course!!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 09:08:16 pm »
Gotta e-mail or talk to him direct, but it's a sweet deal on the pipes...

They slip fit into each other, so if you cut in the center (or so) of the bend, you should be able to come out and down, then under and back and then "angle out" where ever you choose...

Comes with one 1/4" flange (your choice) an then I ordered an additional flange for my other motor...

It would be tough to piece meal a kit like this together from several suppliers for the price, and it's always good to support the guys that support the hobby...like Don, E.C., ARC, and ACME...(and others :wink: )
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 02:37:33 pm »
Red Horse thanks for inquiring, the interest has spurred a new page for the G-Team Exhaust Kit on the site, where you'll find the components listed above.

Afraid at this point the G-Man is waaaay busy trying to fill orders for motors and cams as a result of recent specials, so he was pretty sketchy on prices. You'll still have to drop him a line to confirm the order, but we do have a page up with a few general prices listed and as soon as he slows down we'll get all the details sorted out.

The donmownator sends his thanks Squidd!! (o;?

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 05:15:42 pm »
Quote from: mowdak1
The donmownator sends his thanks Squidd!! (o;?  

Good...Now tell him to send my Motor!!!  :twisted:  
Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 05:20:31 pm »
LOL! You got it dude!  :wink:

Offline flateric13

• View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 05:40:06 pm »
I like the look of that kit! The bends always have really bad necking on the wheel barrow handles! Hopefully he'll send one to england!

jason
ohn Deere, Kills Bugs Dead!

2003 and 2005 Blmra Champion

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 05:53:32 pm »
Hey Jason,

If you take the link to the page up there, and scroll down to just below the shipping and handling info, there's an e-mail link set up to direct your order especially to the exhaust division of Don's garage!

He's been chomping at the bits to become a global distributor of lawn mower racing parts, and I'm sure he'd love to hear from you!

Offline Squidd

• Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 05:32:05 pm »
This is a pretty slick Kit...

Mower pictures in my AP build thread... http://www.heymow.com/viewtopic.php?p=1331#1331

Randy Stys
"Pull My Finger"
 63 Cub Cadet S/A

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Exhaust pipe
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 08:58:33 pm »
Darn, that pipe looks good!!!
Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?
No, I don't.
You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?