Author Topic: Peerless 700 Advice  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Evil Spirit

• View Profile
Peerless 700 Advice
« on: June 27, 2019, 06:10:41 am »
Hi. New to the party here. I know this question or my build isn't of the racing nature, but I can see there is a lot of good info on the Peerless 700 trans here. Long story made short - I'm a disabled senior that is trying to make a rear engine riding mower into a mobility scooter - something I can ride around the yard to do chores, or take to the local track to ride in the pits. I picked up an old Jacobsen/Homelite rear engine rider and removed the deck and all associated controls. My goal it to have a top "cruising" speed of 20mph, which it may need to see for up to a mile or so at a time. If the 8hp isn't strong enough I have several 14hp Briggs engines to pick from to install. It would remain stock, other than maybe a carb or throttle mod to adjust speed easier. But as to my post - what trans mods should I do for longevity and to gain probably 4x the speed it does now? I will be using a taller tire and gain some speed there. It needs to retain reverse, so a new chain will be installed. I will install the seal on the input and vent the case to use 80-90w for the lube. So the first real Q is - consensus here seems to be that shifting under motion is bad news - do you not want to shift these units while moving AT ALL - or can they be gotten rolling some and granny shifted into a higher gear using the clutch and still live? Then, what should I use as "high" gear - 3rd gear at 1:1, or use the "O/D" of 4th and 5th? Next Q is where to pick up the speed. Is it better to change the pulleys and spin the trans faster? Or is it better to gain the speed by the final drive - sprocket changes?  Or a combination of both? I guess the wrinkle here to the questions is most of the posts I have read do not need to be concerned with the chain in the case slapping around, since the racing applications do not use reverse. Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks, Willie
Retired Slinky Rewinder

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Peerless 700 Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 07:46:43 am »
Sounds like you are off to a good start.   

Never shift while moving.    The shift keys won’t take it.   Especially with large tires   

If your just going to “cruise” and not abuse it I’d go 1:1 on the belt and adjust your sprocket combination to get the desired speed you want.   FYI if you plan on actually going 20 MPH your going to want to upgrade other things as well.  Steering and brakes for sure. 

I’d also use a centrifugal clutch.  That way you don’t have to mess with a belt clutch.  Just make sure it engages nice and smooth so it doesn’t shock the transmission.

Be sure you have the steel input and pinion gear.  Not the powder cast.  A 700-039 would be a good transmission for this application.   It has all steel gears.  4 shift key shaft and bearings on the output shaft. 
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline Evil Spirit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 11:35:39 am »
Thanks. So what's the gear of choice for cruising? Use 4-5th gear, or 3 for the 1:1 ratio?
Retired Slinky Rewinder

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 01:34:03 pm »
As long as you don’t abuse it any gear will be fine.  I’d run a grease oil mix that will make it last a long time and not leak as much.  If you use oil only it will leak.   
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

anything