Author Topic: Fixed Negative Camber  (Read 8439 times)

Offline DBSMowman

• View Profile
Fixed Negative Camber
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:49:50 pm »
On your axle, if using top and bottom heim joint (spherical rod end) why cut the axle with a fixed 10* of negative camber? Isn't the whole reason you spend a extra money on the heim joint is to set that adjustment manually? Seems like at max go with 3*-5* fixed camber and use heim joint adjustment there to get the exact KPI and camber you want. I was thinking of leaving the axle ends square and using the the heim joint to get the KPI and camber I want. Am I wrong here?   

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: Fixed Negative Camber
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 01:54:49 am »
Read this and see what you want to do. http://www.heymow.com/index.php/topic,425.0.html
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline DBSMowman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 01:36:14 pm »
Thanks for the response. I have read that write up, and read a few engineering journals on it for on road vehicles. Also some great videos on youtube by SK8215 who is pretty much an engineering genius. I don’t agree with georges write up about camber. The OEMs do it, look at the new Craftsman tight turn mowers that now have ackerman steering and negative KPI. Having a large scrub radius in turns on dirt and grass is not a good thing. Agree with him we’re running bias tires so there is a difference. At the end of the day its probably splitting hairs on something like this. I’m going to build mine square and use the chromoly heim joints to get the camber I want. I dont see any advantage to fixing camber negative if using rod ends on your spindles.

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 03:27:17 pm »
George had 20 racing mower championships in his lifetime,
Something had to be working somewhere.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"