Author Topic: Opposed Twin Ignition Problems (And Solutions)  (Read 4906 times)

Offline PK580

• View Profile
Opposed Twin Ignition Problems (And Solutions)
« on: November 13, 2018, 02:12:02 pm »
I'm getting tired of replacing mags on my Briggs, I've probably replaced 2 coils this year and I've also changed over to non resistor plugs by NGK I don't remember what exactly they are but cross-reference to autolite 292s. They did help for a few weekends of riding around but then I had to ground out one of the leads to start. What are some ideas that would work as a new ignition system that isn't cost prohibitive. I've saw on a thread on here people running a type of crank trigger ignition. I am considering building something of the like using a solid state ignition from a late model GM truck. I do have a charging system also. I'm open to any ideas / suggestions so this would also be a general discussion board also.

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
Re: Opposed Twin Ignition Problems (And Solutions)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 10:54:39 am »
Most of those people don't race anymore. Don Ginger is still around you might try to get a hold of him. He knows that system well. I don't think he has the web site, (he might). I do believe he has a Facebook page.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline THawley08

• Spooner
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Hawley Racing
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 06:54:41 pm »
We had problems with the coils over heating after the engine was shut off. We always used the stock coils but after the race if you just shut the engine off it still continues to make heat and heat up. We took care of this problem by putting a fan on top of the flywheel after the engine was shut off to cool it down. Once we did this we never lost another coil. Best of luck.

Al I am still around periodically check the forum. However life happens and mower racing had to go on the back burner. 
Tommy Hawley
Sponsors:
-STA-BIL Diesel http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/default.aspx
-Loud Whisper Media www.loudwhispermedia.com
Birdman Express Racing Products
Cutloose Racing Opposition Engines
#08 C/P MLMRA
Farwell, Michigan I am the Balm
Owner of the baddest opposed in the north.
4th 2010 USLMRA Points CP
2009/2010 MLMRA CP Points Champion

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:03:28 am »
I pop in here once and a while also. Nice to hear ya Tommy! Finding time and a place to race has become the issue.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

anything