Engine Help > Briggs OHV & Vanguard

44 Intek Twin

(1/2) > >>

HMCTAS:
Gday from Tasmania  :D

We're just getting into mower racing down here in Tassie, have been doing it for about 12 months so far. I run a Greenfield mower with a 26HP (44ci) Briggs Intek V'twin.

I have strengthened the original chassis, lowered it, widened it etc. It runs a clutched belt drive with a 3.5" front pulley to a right angle drive with a 7" pulley on it, so I get a 2:1 reduction to the right angle drive. Then it is sprocket driven to a kart rear end.

At the moment it performs pretty well, could be better but there's more stuff to do to the front end.

Engine is stock, it was running at 4500 on the governor. I've got a billet flywheel coming from the USA so I can remove the governor. Rods are next on the list or can stock rods do the job? I would like to get about 5500/6000rpm out of the engine.

What will I need to get for the heads? I've just got some new stock heads for it so I have a couple of bare canvasses to play with lol

Cheers,
Shane

PJG56:
Not knowing the age and condition of your motor,i would put ARC rods in it as soon as possible.
the 49 rod is a much better rod and your motor might already have them from factory,but I have seen them fail at stock 3650 rpm,i just wouldn't risk it,unless it was a stock grass cutter..

rotten ron:
How did you get 4000 on the governor? It is a wonder a rod has not come out already. As for the heads you will need better springs and retainers and if you put a higher lift cam in it you will need to take the valve seals off and shorten the valve guides

HMCTAS:

--- Quote from: rotten ron on September 16, 2018, 10:58:50 pm ---How did you get 4000 on the governor? It is a wonder a rod has not come out already. As for the heads you will need better springs and retainers and if you put a higher lift cam in it you will need to take the valve seals off and shorten the valve guides

--- End quote ---

I removed the stock governor linkages and built one to take a throttle cable hooked onto the governor spring with more adjustment. I hadn't planned on a cam (yet lol). As for the valve springs, will the EC dual valve springs and retainers do the job? I'm guessing stronger pushrods have to be in the mix as well.

--- Quote from: PJG56 on September 16, 2018, 06:19:06 pm ---Not knowing the age and condition of your motor,i would put ARC rods in it as soon as possible.
the 49 rod is a much better rod and your motor might already have them from factory,but I have seen them fail at stock 3650 rpm,i just wouldn't risk it,unless it was a stock grass cutter..

--- End quote ---

The plan was to get the rods at the same time as the flywheel, however the flywheel was $630AU to my door so the rods have to wait until the piggy bank is a little fuller. I haven't had the engine apart properly yet other than to replace a leaky sump gasket. Engine is in overall good condition but I'll rebuild it once I get rods for it.

Thanks for your help so far, as I get more into it i'm sure i'll have more questions  :lol:

rotten ron:
The EC springs and retainers will work fine and you should do a performance valve job and maybe some porting while you are working on the heads also machine some off the surface of the heads to help the compression ratio

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version