Author Topic: Kamloops, BC mod class racer  (Read 604 times)

Offline turbo_bird

• View Profile
Re: Kamloops, BC mod class racer
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 07:22:25 AM »
The hubs are 3 bolt, but welding new centers into my wheels or making adapters wouldn't be hard. Do people use the other style ones and they work good? I was concerned with something like that wobbling on the axle because it doesn't clamp on. I would think that that any movement would quickly destroy the axle and hub. Maybe I'm overthinking it though.
Kristian

Offline Negrey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 02:04:37 PM »
On one of my mowers I cut out the 3/4 center and welded in a 1" shafting coupler, it's not perfectly true, but neither are stock rims, haven't had any issues. Also reinforced the rim by welding a plate from the coupler to the outside diameter of the rim
Evan
British Columbia
NOLMRC

Offline turbo_bird

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2018, 09:45:34 PM »
Cool, thanks. I was thinking of building hubs like you linked to, but was worried they wouldn't hold up. I can whip a couple up with some couplers and my dad's lathe easy enough. If it doesn't last I can just try something different then. I'm going to use the stock front wheels, and I'll probably reinforce them with some plate like you did. One of the local racers i talked to mentioned that too. Having a wheel center come apart during a race would probably be pretty exciting. I was working with some 3/4" x .065" wall stainless tubing at work today and had some scraps, so I bent up a couple nerf bars and a dash support. The problem is I work away from home and have flights booked until February, so I might have to see if they'll fit a suitcase. I'll probably get some funny looks at the airport with them. It kind of sucks, I have lots of scrap tubing at home but the bender for 3/4" is about $1000, and I only have access to it when I'm at work.
Kristian

Offline turbo_bird

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2018, 02:31:45 PM »
Here's the tube parts I made, and the bender I used. I made the second hoop today so I've got my grill support too. I don't have a good for this mower, so I'm going to cut one out of aluminum sheet.