Author Topic: craftsman supermod build NB canada  (Read 8020 times)

Offline nbsodslinger

• View Profile
craftsman supermod build NB canada
« on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:38 am »
http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r614/twelch1993/IMG_0830_zpswjjl7yqi.jpg

Hello!
this is my first year mower racing and the second year for organized racing in our area. I'm finding it a very addicting sport and the sport is taking off quickly in the area. I'm running the silver craftsman currently with a briggs flathead. after a few races I decided I need a super mod. so I picked up this red craftsman ys4500 with a 20hp intek. our rules currently do not allow engine mods other than exhaust intake and removing the governor. I think this rule will be changing in the coming years but for now ill have to leave it as is. so I've decided to make a build and hopefully get some help and pointers from everyone on here as I go.

started stripping the chassis down and mounted the bloc bearings in the rear and installed a 36" 1" axle

I built my front axle out of stainless 1 1/2x 1 1/2 cut at 10* on each end then built my own spindles using threaded couplings a 1/2" bearing on each end and 5/8 bolt welded on, the turn very smooth im hoping they will hold up.

I just used the stock mower tires for fit up but will be getting hubs rims and 13"s from EC

Next I fabbed up the steering supports and mounted the steering column over the motor style if anyone sees any thing that should be adjusted or changed its only tacked up in case something doesn't work out

[imghttp://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r614/twelch1993/IMG_0872_zpsa7unpfoj.png?t=1533651470]http://[/img]

ive used the stock wheel for now but will be getting a better one to bolt on soon.

built my own ty rods by welding nuts to stainless tubing. still need to pick up a couple ends to finish It up

next was custom built nerf bars/foot rests also built of stainless, I hope these will be strong enough as they are small diameter tubing but it was all I was able to bend on my own.

and last night I just finished mounting the seat and gast tank. do you guys think this location will work?
im only 140 lbs, trying to keep it low and a good compromise between front and rear. my only concern is mounting the gearbox I may have to build a frame to raise to seat so I can put gearbox under in closer to the rear axle? or would it be fine just ahead of the seat?

[imghttp://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r614/twelch1993/IMG_0877_zpsewz0rdg4_1.jpg]http://[/img]

so that's where im at so far, should have hubs rims and tires soon im thinking 15's on the rear should set me at about 31/2" ground clearance ( we don't have height restrictions yet)

also im curious about turning the motor so the heads face me. what all is involved in doing this? will motor be okay oil wise?

Let me know what you guys think so far,
this is my first build so it wont be perfect any help is appreciated

Offline Snapper#67

• View Profile
Re: craftsman supermod build NB canada
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 09:40:50 pm »
Did you tuck and weld in 3/4 thin wall square tubing into the frame to stiffen it?, if not I would definetly suggest it and make sure the chassis is 100% square, if you think it is... check it again other than that looks like you have something coming along,
Gotta risk it to get the biscuit!

Offline PJG56

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 10:49:12 pm »
You need some space ,at least an inch between spindle barrel and heim joints for adjustments,you will use washers or small spacers to take up the space so you can move spindle up and down to get proper weights
Paul Guptill  (oppy) #238modX
2012 slmra mowstock champion(builder/owner)

2013 slmra mowdified champion(builder/owner)
2013 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 All American Champion Mod-X/CP(builder/owner)
2014All American Champion FXT (engine builder)
2014 All American 2nd place SP(builder/owner)
2015 All American 2nd place BP (builder/owner)
2016 OutlawTriple Crown FXT Champion (engine builder)

Offline nbsodslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 05:15:40 pm »
Did you tuck and weld in 3/4 thin wall square tubing into the frame to stiffen it?, if not I would definetly suggest it and make sure the chassis is 100% square, if you think it is... check it again other than that looks like you have something coming along,

I have 1" angle iron that I was planning to weld in to make a box in the frame, think this will be stiff enough?

You need some space ,at least an inch between spindle barrel and heim joints for adjustments,you will use washers or small spacers to take up the space so you can move spindle up and down to get proper weights

ive been looking at that too thinking about how to fix it, I think if I cut off as much as I can off the spindle barrel I should be able to free up enough room.

Offline nbsodslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 05:28:27 pm »
got a rear bumper made yesterday 10" was as tight as I could make it myself hopefully its small enough. 38" wide

Offline Snapper#67

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2018, 06:28:35 am »
I have seen fellas use angle in the past to stiffen them up, some with success and some without, I would say use your better judgement as I'm not an expert I just know 3/4 square works, and I agree with Paul you will need space for adjustments in your spindles cutting /grinding your spindle barrel may suffice, or you may be looking at rebuilding your outter plates to allow for the extra room needed to add washers ideal to see at least 3/4" on either side of the spindles, to allow for fine tuning use regular washers for take up space and "machine" washer to fill small gaps and get final adjustments that's just one mans opinion others may correct me

Offline nbsodslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 01:22:45 pm »
finally go time to update the thread,

got my frame reinforced with 1" angle iron.

after looking at my wheelbase length I realized I was at 49" so I now have it at 43". rims haven't come yet so I found some 16" trailer tires to help me mock up my fender and seat.

found some nice plastic trim to go around where I cut out for my seat

I also got a few pieces for the dash and ignition system. jet ski type tether, the red toggle switch will be for shutting off the mower without pulling tether and it will be push button start

still having a couple issues with my front end mainly getting the ackerman right. I did get my spindles cut down and washers added fixing that part of it. and you'll probably notice that it has female heim joints on the left side they are now swapped out to males.

for the ackerman I tried moving the right side tie rod down one hole on the center mount but now it turns like crap to the right. maybe I need to fab up a wider mounting point to have the heims mount side by side with the right side slightly lower?

Offline nbsodslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 07:02:05 pm »
getting close to having this mower running gear box came in got it mounted to a plate to bolt my two pillow blocks to and used a 3/4 axle shaft as an extension for the sprocket

also got the old craftsman gas tank mounted in its final spot

threw the motor in and wired it up and ran new fuel lines, shut off and filter

made a front bumper...

finally tonight I got the cent clutch mounted, rear sprocket and tensioner, chain seemed to be in between too long but too short with one link out so hopefully after it stretches a bit ill pull a link out and tensioner will be in a better place.

Offline nbsodslinger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 08:34:29 pm »

the final order of goodies came in!

got it all thrown together, my rear rims were back ordered so I rounded up a set of steelies to get me ready for the first race, which turned out pretty good!, I won the open class and a second in the super mod at a local fair.

rear rims showed up looking pretty fat from the rear now

got the exhaust made at a local muffler shop they did an  awesome job keeping the lengths equal and brought out just in front of the rear tire

also picked up a black 14" steering wheel from BMI karts. the last step was getting the hood, and it was the most exciting part that really set the mower apart from everyone else's around the area!!

the mower has been working awesome finishing at or very close to the top in the three races its been to so far, just needs a better paint job on the rear fenders and ill be happy!
that's all !

been so busy finishing this build up and racing I that it took me a while to be able to finish this thread but its all done!

Offline Mower Maniac

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 11:16:32 pm »
That cub hood looks sweet on there. Really nice build!
AZLMRA
2016-GPK 3rd place
2017-GPK 2nd place

Offline Snapper#67

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 09:26:11 pm »
Looks awesome , if there no races scheduled for you on the 30th, it's our last points here on the island, a few fellas were over the last set of races, the more the marrier! Cheers! Again awesome build

anything