Engine Help > Briggs OHV & Vanguard

Cylinder machining vanguard

(1/6) > >>

mod 76:
So I'm preparing to build a 35ci vanny . Bore it from 2.8 to 2.970 so I can drop in the intek pistons . My issue is finding a shop to do the work !!! No one around here does small engines for some reason . I found a quick key boring bar machine with the table for $300. , would that work ?? Does any one have any other ideas or suggestions on how I could.
 do this at home .

Or should I just get the 38ci block and not worry about it

rotten ron:
Get the 38,there will be no sleeve left if you bore the 35 that far and use the 23 HP heads,the ports are much higher than the 35 cubic inch heads and they flow lots better That is probably a Quick Way boring bar and if it is in good shape it might be a good deal but if you have never used one it might not be something you want to use without some experience

mod 76:
I have some machining experience.  My last lathe was a 1931 Willard,  16x60 ?? Just a bit to big .. lol ...

I've been reading up on this engine combo on here and it seemed like a pretty standard build that most guys do . And I have looked into just buying the 38ci block ( $350) . And I'm contemplating in getting the 38ci heads from Carrier Performance.  I have every intention of running those heads .

My understanding is that the 30ci didn't have a thick enough sleeve @ 2.6" ,  35ci @ 2.8" & 38ci @ 2.97" .

I guess I'll have to readjust my aprouch, maybe I miss understood .

And yah @$300 , it's a super deal , most of them go for $800 to $1,500 . And this has a bunch of tooling.

rotten ron:
The table alone might be worth  300     I helped Ryan Kerr and he won the all american with that combination. We ran 14.5 to 1 compression ratio  The heads were 22ccs  You will need copper head gaskets and O ring the heads, the stock head gaskets won't last one lap

mod 76:
Ugh, just got the call from the last machine shop near me ( with in a 60 mile radius) they can not machine the bore.

Guess I'll have to buy the 38 block and just run the stock 38 pistons , cause if no one can bore , they can't do a O-ring either...

Thanks for the heads up on the O-ring requirement. I missed that , thought the copper would be enough.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version