Author Topic: Which High Torque Starter? (Stock has 16 teeth)  (Read 3752 times)

Offline thompsoncustom

• View Profile
Which High Torque Starter? (Stock has 16 teeth)
« on: July 07, 2018, 01:28:26 pm »
well I was looking at buying a denso starter for my 23hp vanguard so it will turn over without help and I see that the briggs 808498 has 15 teeth not 16 like my stock starter so I assume it will not fit. The starter and flywheel are off of a 16hp vanguard that I used for parts. I guess I thought most of the parts between these motors were interchangeable.
Daniel Thompson

Offline thompsoncustom

• View Profile
Re: Which High Torque Starter? (Stock has 16 teeth)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 07:12:39 am »
Hmmmm maybe a better question is:

Which ring gear/flywheel and starter combo will work? I would pull the fly wheel back off and swap it out if i knew 100% that it would work with (xxxxxx) starter.
Daniel Thompson

Offline PJG56

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 08:21:38 am »
well I was looking at buying a denso starter for my 23hp vanguard so it will turn over without help and I see that the briggs 808498 has 15 teeth not 16 like my stock starter so I assume it will not fit. The starter and flywheel are off of a 16hp vanguard that I used for parts. I guess I thought most of the parts between these motors were interchangeable.

I think you'll find the 808498 15 tooth starter will work just fine ,you may have to shim it but should work fine
Paul Guptill  (oppy) #238modX
2012 slmra mowstock champion(builder/owner)

2013 slmra mowdified champion(builder/owner)
2013 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 All American Champion Mod-X/CP(builder/owner)
2014All American Champion FXT (engine builder)
2014 All American 2nd place SP(builder/owner)
2015 All American 2nd place BP (builder/owner)
2016 OutlawTriple Crown FXT Champion (engine builder)

Offline thompsoncustom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 10:23:01 am »
Well ordered the 15 tooth denso off ebay and got it installed and the gears line up fine but it doesn't have the power to turn it over.

Got to looking at it and its a denso knockoff not the real thing. Where are you guys buying true denso brand starters?
Daniel Thompson

Offline PJG56

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 09:30:26 am »
Well ordered the 15 tooth denso off ebay and got it installed and the gears line up fine but it doesn't have the power to turn it over.

Got to looking at it and its a denso knockoff not the real thing. Where are you guys buying true denso brand starters?

I use the aftermarket starters all the time and have sold at least 30 of them in the last couple years with no issues.
Keep in mind this is a much larger starter and needs more amperage to work properly and battery must be keep fully charged or you will ruin the solenoid real quick.You may have just gotten a dud

To answer your Question the briggs denso starters can be gotten new from any briggs dealer,Precision cams could get you one and im sure EC can as well,but their pricey new $250-280..Good Luck
Paul Guptill  (oppy) #238modX
2012 slmra mowstock champion(builder/owner)

2013 slmra mowdified champion(builder/owner)
2013 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 All American Champion Mod-X/CP(builder/owner)
2014All American Champion FXT (engine builder)
2014 All American 2nd place SP(builder/owner)
2015 All American 2nd place BP (builder/owner)
2016 OutlawTriple Crown FXT Champion (engine builder)

Offline thompsoncustom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 09:37:06 am »
Wow they do cost a lot more. Ya battery power was my first thought to.

I tested at the starter and had 12.51v so i thought maybe if i run a another battery parallel ill have more power. So i pulled the batttery out of my truck for a combined total of 12.80v at the starter and 1600 cold cranking amps and it still will not turn it over.

Only way it will turn over is if i ran jumper cables from my truck and have it running then it will turn it over.

Of the mods ive done to the motor the only ones that would effect compression are im running .010 head gaskets, precision cams cheetah grind, and gapless top compression rings. I havent put a compression gauge on it yet.
Daniel Thompson

Offline thompsoncustom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 02:29:00 pm »
Well got the replacement starter in and this one turns the motor over which is great considering both cylinders are at 170 psi.

The old high torque starter and this one both seem to not fully engage the ring gear sometimes and has wore off the corner of the gears closest to the starter so ill have to jam the starter gear forward somehow and check the spacing.
Daniel Thompson