Engine Help > Briggs OHV & Vanguard

Which High Torque Starter? (Stock has 16 teeth)

(1/2) > >>

thompsoncustom:
well I was looking at buying a denso starter for my 23hp vanguard so it will turn over without help and I see that the briggs 808498 has 15 teeth not 16 like my stock starter so I assume it will not fit. The starter and flywheel are off of a 16hp vanguard that I used for parts. I guess I thought most of the parts between these motors were interchangeable.

thompsoncustom:
Hmmmm maybe a better question is:

Which ring gear/flywheel and starter combo will work? I would pull the fly wheel back off and swap it out if i knew 100% that it would work with (xxxxxx) starter.

PJG56:

--- Quote from: thompsoncustom on July 07, 2018, 01:28:26 pm ---well I was looking at buying a denso starter for my 23hp vanguard so it will turn over without help and I see that the briggs 808498 has 15 teeth not 16 like my stock starter so I assume it will not fit. The starter and flywheel are off of a 16hp vanguard that I used for parts. I guess I thought most of the parts between these motors were interchangeable.

--- End quote ---

I think you'll find the 808498 15 tooth starter will work just fine ,you may have to shim it but should work fine

thompsoncustom:
Well ordered the 15 tooth denso off ebay and got it installed and the gears line up fine but it doesn't have the power to turn it over.

Got to looking at it and its a denso knockoff not the real thing. Where are you guys buying true denso brand starters?

PJG56:

--- Quote from: thompsoncustom on July 14, 2018, 10:23:01 am ---Well ordered the 15 tooth denso off ebay and got it installed and the gears line up fine but it doesn't have the power to turn it over.

Got to looking at it and its a denso knockoff not the real thing. Where are you guys buying true denso brand starters?

--- End quote ---

I use the aftermarket starters all the time and have sold at least 30 of them in the last couple years with no issues.
Keep in mind this is a much larger starter and needs more amperage to work properly and battery must be keep fully charged or you will ruin the solenoid real quick.You may have just gotten a dud

To answer your Question the briggs denso starters can be gotten new from any briggs dealer,Precision cams could get you one and im sure EC can as well,but their pricey new $250-280..Good Luck

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version