Author Topic: intek 44CI valve guide size.  (Read 4214 times)

Offline ole4

• View Profile
intek 44CI valve guide size.
« on: June 25, 2018, 05:24:01 pm »
Based on the manual reject size for the valve stem I ordered a 6mm Pilot. The pilot is not snug in the guide, The only other pilot near 6mm is a 6.02 that is only .0008 larger. I went ahead and ordered it as the 6mm one has very little movement but it does go all the way down in the guide and I can get barley perceptible movement. Does anyone know what pilot size is correct for the intek V twin heads? 

Offline ole4

• View Profile
Re: intek 44CI valve guide size.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 09:09:04 pm »
Just to add the pilot is for a neway seat cutter. .375 top and the only two sizes close are 6mm and 6.02mm. 

Offline rotten ron

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 11:03:37 pm »
It really doesn't matter what size the pilot is as long as it fits tight and can lock in the guide. It is an air cooled engine and the valve needs more clearance than a water cooled engine.I rebuild engines and have worked on thousands of heads. I have used those cutters but I usually use stones and Sioux seem to be the ones of choice. they seem to be the most accurate .

Offline PJG56

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 06:51:50 am »
Based on the manual reject size for the valve stem I ordered a 6mm Pilot. The pilot is not snug in the guide, The only other pilot near 6mm is a 6.02 that is only .0008 larger. I went ahead and ordered it as the 6mm one has very little movement but it does go all the way down in the guide and I can get barley perceptible movement. Does anyone know what pilot size is correct for the intek V twin heads?

I use the 6mm expandable Neway pilot.
If your not satisfied with the fit of your 6mm pilot put one wrap of scotch tape on it to tighten it up..
Paul Guptill  (oppy) #238modX
2012 slmra mowstock champion(builder/owner)

2013 slmra mowdified champion(builder/owner)
2013 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 All American Champion Mod-X/CP(builder/owner)
2014All American Champion FXT (engine builder)
2014 All American 2nd place SP(builder/owner)
2015 All American 2nd place BP (builder/owner)
2016 OutlawTriple Crown FXT Champion (engine builder)

Offline ole4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 10:10:50 am »
Thanks, I did not see the expandable one on Beam Equipment site. I'll go look for it. I did order the 6.02 one but I bet it will still not be snug. I'm gonna go out and try the tape but I am pretty sure it will be too big.

Offline rotten ron

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 09:57:23 pm »
The expandable pilots don't work that well. The 6.02 will probably be perfect .                              Sometimes when I need a pilot I make one on a lathe from drill rod .The valve seat must be perfectly in line with guide or the valve will leak.The difference in a good valve job and a bad valve job is the difference between fast and slow.

Offline ole4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 11:02:59 pm »
Thanks guys, I did find a 6.05 so now I have a 6.02, and 6.05 on order from cylinder head supply.

Offline ole4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 09:09:54 am »
While I am waiting for the pilots I started to rebuild the lower end. This motor had ingested dirt over the years and while it ran good it started using a lot of oil. I did a leakdown test and one cylinder was at 10% leakage the other 50% but it was leaking out the exhaust. The motor without the heads turned over effortlessy. After disassembly I saw something I had never seen in all my years, a step near TDC on 180 degrees of the bore. It did not get touched till I honed cylinder .010 so it was worn about that depth This was a step of wear not tapered. Firsttwo pics are the step second pic is after honing .006 out step is still there but smaller. Rest of pictures are of reassembly. I went .020 over as that was only size I could find. I honed to the tight side of the spec, .3.139 and the top ring gap was only .006. I thought that was a bit tight for a air cooled engine so I filed them to .010. I also coated skirts with Dow Molykote. Today I will install the sump using the new bolt kit and gasket will says to torque bolts to 300 Inch lbs. Hope I do not strip any holes.

Offline ole4

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 01:31:45 pm »
Turned out 6.02 was too small. 6.05did the trick.

Offline ole4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2018, 03:33:52 pm »
Well finished up the rebuild and it is running great, although it ran ok before just smoked and used excessive oil.