Author Topic: Foote rapid drive gear wear explaination?  (Read 3431 times)

Offline BuiltTough

• View Profile
Foote rapid drive gear wear explaination?
« on: April 11, 2018, 04:29:51 am »
wack job theory guy here.

Got a freebie Foote 4360-7 today. Factory reconditioned never put into service.

Pulled it apart to inspect everything and clean the grease out in prep for gear oil and welding the axle. (And just wanted to check it over) everything in it is flawless, except for one thing.

The main shaft has about 1mm play in it. As in, all the gears etc are able to slide over on the shaft 1mm. This 1mm slide allows the largest cog to come into contact with the back of the bevel gear.

Got me thinking. The complaints I hear about the Foote transaxles is that it chews up the drive gear. And I think this is why.

At normal speeds the shaft contents may stay in position just fine, but at high speeds, the shaft would surely walk and a high rpm contact between opposing gears would definatly cause at minimum an interruption in rotation and some wear.

Compound that over thousands of rpm and a few laps, and there wouldn’t be much left of that bevel gear or drive gear.

Solution? Installing a 1mm washer at the opposite end of the shaft locks everything in place nice and tight just like everything else is in the gearbox.

Now, I’m not saying this is for sure the problem in all Foote transaxles, not am I saying that it isn’t just an oops, maybe the factory tech that did the refurb forgot a washer. Who knows, but it’s most certainly a possible explanation. Maybe?

I’d upload pics or video but apparently iPhone doesn’t play nice with the forum.

Offline Alliesman

• Our Greatest Mission Is To See God's Kingdom Come
    • View Profile
Re: Foote rapid drive gear wear explaination?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 10:52:52 pm »
i have recently aquired a mtd lawn chief and it has a foote axle in it, currently havent got it into any gear yet, but your post caught my attention, did that fix your problem?  i will be a back yard basher no compatition just for fun, but i was wondering if it helped
Jesus is coming back SOON, are you ready?
   ! ONLY YOU CAN PREVENT ETERNAL FIRES !

anything