Author Topic: Internal Engine Coatings  (Read 2756 times)

Offline JGC403

• View Profile
Internal Engine Coatings
« on: March 13, 2018, 01:21:33 pm »
New to the forum.  Looks like this is the place for knowledge on these B&S opposed flatheads.  I have been reading a lot of post today and learned a lot.  I have a 40 c.i. engine I'm building.  Its out of an old Craftsman GTV/16 Varidrive.  402417  0660  01.  Oil mods are at the top of my list. 

Would thermal barrier coatings work in an air cooled engine?  Thermal barrier coatings would go on the top of the piston, combustion chamber and valves.  Could also coat the inside of the exhaust ports.  The coatings are usually used in liquid cooled engines, just wondering if there would be a difference with an air cooled engine.

Dry film lubricant on the piston skirts I don't foresee a problem with. 

Offline JGC403

• View Profile
Re: Internal Engine Coatings
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 03:09:59 pm »
Guess no one has tried it.  Been doing some more research and found that some people have done these coating on air-cooled VW engines.  So it shouldn't do any damage to the Briggs.  I'll try them out and report back if anyone is interested.  I'm using this engine as a guinea pig to see how durable the coatings are.  I'm going to get a cylinder head temp prob that goes under the spark plug and gauge and an EGT temp gauge, I'll do a before and after to see if there is a difference in temperature with and without coatings. 

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
Re: Internal Engine Coatings
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 12:59:41 pm »
Yes they do work!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

anything