Author Topic: Does brake caliper size matter for the thickness of the Disk?  (Read 4229 times)

Offline BPLP

• View Profile
I'm setting up my breaking system for my racing mower and this is my first ever build so I have no idea what I'm doing. I want to buy a Honda GY6 brake caliper off of eBay and a 8 inch brake disk (8" brake disk - gold) off of BMI carts that has a .16 thickness. My worry is that I'll buy both of these products and have the brake disk be to wide and not fit in the caliper. I have been searching for what the max thickness of brake disk is compatible with that caliper is but I so far haven't found anything. If anyone knows anything about this lil problem of mine, could you please shoot some info my way? Thanks!

(Also I know that these aren't going to last long and I know they are super cheap but I'm not planning of thrashing this thing super hard and I'm a high school student with no money so I can't spend $200 on a break kit.)

~Benjamin

Offline BPLP

• View Profile
Re: Does brake caliper size matter for the thickness of the Disk?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 09:33:15 am »
I solved my own problem!!! Yes the GY6 2 piston caliper works with up to .16" thickness of brake disk. Perfect for my build!

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Does brake caliper size matter for the thickness of the Disk?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 12:10:44 pm »
I used a front four piston caliper off of an Yamaha R1. Works great and they can be had relatively cheap on eBay and was compatible with my 7.25 disk from BMI
Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

http://www.mpmowersports.com/

If you run with the heard you will never see the edge of the cliff
Racing lawn mowers is not cheap just cheaper.

anything