Author Topic: Need help lowering mower  (Read 7348 times)

Offline LawnTractorBoys

• View Profile
Need help lowering mower
« on: December 12, 2017, 01:15:14 pm »
(I originally posted this in the wrong thread)
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum, but I'm looking for some help on my racing mower build. I recently picked up a seat LT1136, I pulled the deck, and the engine, which was an 11HP Briggs and stratton single cylinder, which I'm going to be replacing with either a 14HP single cylinder, or 18HP opposing twin, but I have some questions for a couple other things. The model of my transaxle is a Peerless 800-814

1. Dropping the frame (In the front)
Not sure on which way I should go about this, Im thinking i could take the front spindles, and flip them upside down, flip the front axle altogether, or cut into the frame and suck the axle up higher. But then i'm not sure of the best way to lock the front axle so it doesn't pivot, im thinking of welding it, or if I could drill some holes in the right spots so I can remove it if needed later on.

2. Dropping the frame (In the rear)
I know that people usually take jackshafts and run two belts in their mower, but that costs money, the price of the jackshaft, the bearing, a second belt, and placing idler pulleys, on top of that I would have 2 belts that can burn up, and I don't have money to be buying all this stuff. I've also heard of people cutting into the frame and making new mounting brackets for the transaxle, then flipping the transaxle upside down and rotating it 180 degrees, so it will be higher up kin the frame while the pulley is still where it is supposed to be, but if I were to do this, I would have problems with lubrication, which leads us to my other question

3. Lubrication in the transaxle
So if I were to flip the transaxle upside down, I'm not going to be able to use gear lube like a lot of you guys do, and I'm probably going to have to use the bentonite grease that it comes with, but because im going to be tearing the transmission down, I dont know where I could get bentonite grease, and I hear its awfully expensive, so I was wondering that if I were to flip my transaxle, could I use that grease you use to lubricate bushings and whatnot that comes in the cardboard tubes in my transaxle? Because the consistency doesn't seem too much different from the bentonite grease, but I'm really just trying to find something that will work if I flip the transaxle upside down.

Offline TimmyD

• View Profile
Re: Need help lowering mower
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 05:07:50 pm »
Get a custom m built front beam axle slacker chassis is good fir them

Go with a 1 1/4 live axle and peerless 700 I currently have both for sale

As for th fluid I use red Texaco or Lucas with some wheel bearing grease works wonders

Offline Mower Maniac

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 09:12:33 pm »
You could do all that, but those methods don't stand up to much power. Not that safe when trying to go fast. Most of us have custom heavy duty front ends based off of race karts, go kart rear axles, brakes, steering, and gearboxes. It just safer...
AZLMRA
2016-GPK 3rd place
2017-GPK 2nd place

Offline LawnTractorBoys

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 09:43:20 am »
I totally get where your coming from, and I understand thats what people usually do. I'm definitely going to figure out a way to implement direct steering into my build, but getting a solid axle and a 700 series is something I probably cant do, I'm only 13, and I don't have any money I can really invest into this build. I've got another transaxle, a peerless 920-012, which is similar to the one already in here, but I'm just looking from tips to lower the frame with what I have already, I can weld also, so that will definitely help. I've taken a John deere L130, and put a manual in it, then pulley swapped that, but I'm going to be using it for parts with this build

Offline LawnTractorBoys

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 09:44:41 am »
Get a custom m built front beam axle slacker chassis is good fir them

Go with a 1 1/4 live axle and peerless 700 I currently have both for sale

As for th fluid I use red Texaco or Lucas with some wheel bearing grease works wonders

I've seen reviews on those axles, I'll definitely look into finding one! And it's good to hear that bearing grease works well in transaxles, because I had some doubts.

Offline Mower Maniac

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 07:40:16 pm »
I get where you are coming from on the money thing. I'm 15, so I'm not able to load a bunch of cash in my mower, but there is something to say about doing things as safely as you can, and as well as you can. My first mower was not put together very well, and was not a very good handler but I beat on it for 2 years. I crashed it once because the mower couldn't handle the speeds it was hitting (35), and I almost crashed it a half dozen more times because the thing had serious issues. A lot of money and time later (from the new owner), it is winning races and handles awesome. I now have a new mower that doesn't have as high dollar parts on it, but it was done right, and it handles amazing, and I have no worries of it being unpredictable. You don't have to do the same things as everyone else, but you can build it safe and budget friendly.
AZLMRA
2016-GPK 3rd place
2017-GPK 2nd place

Offline TimmyD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 11:06:33 pm »
I’d sell you the axle setup for a reasonable price

Offline RjMaan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 11:44:24 am »
Instead of making it, why don't you go for the new one.

anything