Author Topic: Brand new to the site, Mower build questions.  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Fordcrazy

• View Profile
Brand new to the site, Mower build questions.
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:13:18 pm »
Hi Everyone,
   I'll start off by saying I am BRAND new to the site.  I have been around looking through several forums but now have a project and figured I should join a forum and learn some information from the pros. 
   I have been around machinery for a pretty long time, I always have loved Cub Cadet ever since I was a kid mowing the yard on my grandfather's lap and ever since then I have wanted to build a cool tractor. Well the time has come...
I have been looking for an International Harvester Cub to go along with my IH 574 utility tractor. (We currently have a Cub Cadet LTX1050 but the MTD built machine is just not rugged enough for us to use around our farm) A friend at work happen to have a 1810 that he blew up the M18 on and gave it to me. I know this Technically isn't an IH built cub but its really REALLY close.  The machine is in pretty nice shape, the deck was just all redone with new spindles and belt.  I really want to build something mainly for around the farm mowing the lawn around the house and for some smaller projects that I don't need the 574 for. 
   My idea is to build up a mild CH25 Kohler but before I start going crazy and buying parts I wanted to know what you all thought?  Will a Kohler command fit behind the body panels? Is a CH25 the best option? Does it matter if I start with a CH25 block or can I find a good 22 horsepower block and build it from there? What are the physical differences from engine to engine?
Thanks for taking the time to read my post, I'm kind of over whelmed with information and need the advice from real people.
Phil

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: Brand new to the site, Mower build questions.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 10:51:42 am »
Hey Phil,

Welcome to the site. As for grass cutters, no modifying at all, if you
need more power, put a bigger stock engine on there. Not to be a
gig harsher, but safety is paramount, and we do not promote the
modification of the grass cutters.

Marc
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"