Author Topic: front rims  (Read 11599 times)

Offline roesso

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
front rims
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:04:44 pm »
Do I need the 6 inch or the 6.5 with the 2.5 off set for my front rims

Offline Lt10_Grasser

• My new project old sears lt10
    • View Profile
Re: front rims
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 12:53:20 pm »
I would also like to know. This form is so confusing. I don't have a ton of money to put into my mower I can spend a little bit but I have a budget and I plan to work with what I got. 
I'm currently lowering the front right low. I wanted to try And use the stock front axle. I was unbolting it and after taking the bolts out it didn't want to come out. But just to see what would happen, I took the spindles off and flipped them upside down and it lowered the front. It has a little bit of camber. My the stock wheels I have on it are too big and I'm trying to figure out if I can put the kart wheels on my stock axles
I'm freshly new to the race mower world. I've wanted to build one since I was 12. I had a mower did little work and didn't have any knowledge about anything. So now here I am going to try it again. I am now 19 years old, started fresh with another mower and more knowledge of working with engines. I know a little more about cars but now that I'm working with my old late 70's mower things seem much easier now than they did when I was 12. So that's my intro of the form. Now let's get down to business and start the build. I will probably have many questions along the way. I don't have a ton of money to put into it but I can spend some. Some stock parts I plan to reuse and maybe modify to save money.

Offline roesso

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 01:30:56 pm »
From what I have read on here I wouldnt use the stock front end . I'm going to see if I can run a sealed bearing on stock steel wheels

Offline Lt10_Grasser

• My new project old sears lt10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 02:22:38 pm »
If I don't like the camber I can just flip the entire front axle. I'm more of just building this mower for fun not competition. One reason people say not to use the stock axle is because they sit higher in stock position and they are able to move from side to side. I'm just doing it an easy way and save me from spending a lot of mower parts. I personally think if the stock spindles are too small if rather just try to find different spindles rather than buying a hole expansive front axle
To prevent the stock axle from moving side to side I'm gonna run 2 extra bolts on bothe sides of the axle as an easy fix.
I'm freshly new to the race mower world. I've wanted to build one since I was 12. I had a mower did little work and didn't have any knowledge about anything. So now here I am going to try it again. I am now 19 years old, started fresh with another mower and more knowledge of working with engines. I know a little more about cars but now that I'm working with my old late 70's mower things seem much easier now than they did when I was 12. So that's my intro of the form. Now let's get down to business and start the build. I will probably have many questions along the way. I don't have a ton of money to put into it but I can spend some. Some stock parts I plan to reuse and maybe modify to save money.

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 02:41:16 pm »
I would recommend building a new front axle.   The stock one won't last and when it brakes you will get hurt. 

I built a new front axle out of box steel and used double wall black pipe.  Used the stock spindles.   Worked great on a very slow and primitive racer. 
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline Johnson Mowersports

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2015, 12:14:57 pm »
If you don't want to spend money but wanna go fast I would recommend you just leaving the thing a grass cutter. And buying a mower already built or get into a different hobby. These mowers go way to fast for you to try to take the cheap way out it will get you hurt bad and possibly worse
Josh

2011 mck stock class champion
2011 super sportsman rookie        2012 MCK Super Sportsman runner up
 2015 ALL AMERICAN BP CHAMPION

Offline tech54K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 01:43:15 am »
From what I have read on here I wouldnt use the stock front end . I'm going to see if I can run a sealed bearing on stock steel wheels
yes, that would work

Offline RjMaan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 11:57:43 pm »
Actually it depends, i think 6.5 is the best option for you but go for the quality instead to saving few bucks.