Author Topic: 38ci piston/rings specs for custom total seal rings  (Read 2946 times)

Offline thompsoncustom

• View Profile
38ci piston/rings specs for custom total seal rings
« on: October 01, 2017, 05:35:14 pm »
Well I got lucky and the 38ci short block I just received is only going to need honed. I am planning on having Total Seal make me a gapless top ring and standard second compression ring and wondering if you guys knew the standard ring specs or piston specs for the ring grooves.

Here is what I came up with from measuring:

Piston ring groove 1.20mm thick
Piston ring thickness 1.06mm

Piston groove depth 2.90mm
Ring depth 2.82mm

These numbers sound right to you guys? Didn't know if there was a link somewhere that listed the factory specs on the rings. Thanks Dan
Daniel Thompson

Offline thompsoncustom

• View Profile
Re: 38ci piston/rings specs for custom total seal rings
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 07:12:04 am »
or maybe if someone had a new set of rings laying around for the stock pistons they could give me the measurements off those.
Daniel Thompson

Offline thompsoncustom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 07:03:26 pm »
Incase someone else ever wonders I was able to modify my calipers to measure the depth of the rings and used a feller gauge to get more accurate measurements.

Groove 1 Thickness .048
Groove 1 Depth .125

Groove 2 Thickness .047
Groove 2 Depth .140

Total Seal used the same rings for both grooves I can't remember what they said for thickness but I know they are sending me rings for a 2.972 bore and .122 Deep
Daniel Thompson

Offline thompsoncustom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 12:46:21 pm »
So after getting my total seal rings in ive decided they are a total waste of money for what they are. So the gapless top ring is just a cast ring with a raised groove around the inside of the ring and the second thin metal ring is the same size or close to the thin metal ring on the 3 peice oil ring set. So instead of spending 120 bucks for a set of rings( that was only top and second ring. Gapless top standard second) you could probably just buy one 3 peice oil ring and use the 2 thin metal rings to place 180 degrees under your top compression ring. Of course you would have to sand/mill the top compression ring down to make up for the added thickness of the oil ring.

Just thought id let you guys know.
Daniel Thompson

anything