Author Topic: 21hp vanguard camshaft  (Read 2799 times)

Offline greenemachine

• View Profile
21hp vanguard camshaft
« on: September 10, 2017, 10:15:58 am »
Hello, couple questions here. First, I am running a 21 hp vanguard and have been reading that a 23 hp cam has more lift than the other small block cams but usually just mentions its more lift than the 16, 18 and 20. My question is is the 23 hp cam different than the 21 hp cam? Also, I am using this engine in a modified stock class garden tractor puller wit a 4000rpm limit. I have great power in the light classes but in the 1050lb heavy class my rpm's are dropping to 3200 when I am hooked in and pulling good. What other mods or adjustments can I do to the vanguard to gain a little more HP? Thanks for taking time to read my questions, the pulling world seems to cater to the kohler world only, not much info out there for the vanguard. Thanks!

Offline Michaelgc7

• Turf Warrior
  • To finish first you must first finish ;)
    • View Profile
Re: 21hp vanguard camshaft
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:44:56 pm »
if i remember right the 38 cam (20hp vanguards have it also) has .01" more lobe lift .030 roughly valve lift.... but like i said its been a while. Depends on your rules but for pulling simple stuff like a steel flywheel, more compression, timing and a good carb should help
Micheal Carrier

Owner of Carrierperformance.net , lawn mower racing superstore.

Offline greenemachine

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 09:31:06 am »
Thanks, I had purchased a 23hp cam awhile back without doing enough research.  Last night I pulled the cam out of my 21hp and measured it, and yes they are the same cam, woops.  As far as a steel flywheel goes, does anyone make a heavy steel flywheel for the vanguard? All I have seen is lightweight billet versions.

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 11:33:19 am »
Give Al Hodge at Performance V-twins a call, he may be able to help you out.
http://www.performancevtwins.com/
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew