Author Topic: Broken spring on compression release  (Read 12580 times)

Offline s.jenkins

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Broken spring on compression release
« on: September 09, 2017, 05:47:40 pm »
OK. Broken compression release spring on Briggs 28ci OHV. Do you have to replace the entire cam?
Thanks
Skip Jenkins

Offline nic_hayes

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Let's Go Racing!
    • View Profile
    • Hayes Mowersports
Re: Broken spring on compression release
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 03:09:04 pm »
Just take the compression release off. 
Nic Hayes - #427 - CP/Mod-X - Small Engine Performace
15 Time Indoor Winter Nationals Champion
2006 Kansas Outlaws Modified Class Champion
http://hayesmowersports.synthasite.com/

Offline s.jenkins

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 03:23:25 pm »
Are you saying take the compression release off and leave it off?
This engine has good starter, battery and valve lash adjustment. Hangs up on compression stroke! All i can see is a broke spring. Engine spins free with plug removed.

Offline Michaelgc7

• Turf Warrior
  • To finish first you must first finish ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 08:41:44 pm »
put another spring on from a different cam ?
Micheal Carrier

Owner of Carrierperformance.net , lawn mower racing superstore.

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:56 pm »
Just take the compression release off. 
Remove it, take ALL the compression relief stuff off! They break off and destroy everything.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline s.jenkins

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 06:59:44 pm »
This is a stock motor except for exhaust and air filter. Removing the compression release parts does not solve my original problem. It will not spin past compression. I have tried all valve lash suggestions.

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 10:49:56 am »
Your issue isn't the compression release.
Either your starter is dragging and drawing too much amperage, your battery is crap, your cables cannot support the amperage, or your solenoid.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline tes27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 11:47:02 am »
As the owner of a Lawn Mower Repair Shop and having replaced numerous cam shafts because of a broken cam shaft compression release spring.  Your problem is with a broken cam shaft spring.  Your ONLY fix, for a stock motor, is to remove the sump and replace the cam shaft.  Also, you can not just replace the cam spring.   

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 03:36:55 pm »
Thats really cool and all, but seeing that this is a lawnmower racing forum, and not a "fix my grasscutter" forum, you do not need the release.

Judging by the fact that it has been stated there is a different air filter and exhaust installed, one could assume it is being raced, and not mowing lawn.

There are literally hundreds of Briggs singles being raced across the country that have increased compression, reground cams and the like, all with no release, that are able to start...

But, what do I know?
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline tes27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 04:42:37 pm »
You are correct and those singles are being assisted with a heavy duty starter and not the OEM starter.  A stock motor whether a grass cutter or racer without assisted starter amperage won't work.  But then you are the pro. 

Offline tes27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 05:42:08 pm »
s. Jenkins even though redline and I may disagree, you are stilled faced with the problem.  There are others that agree with redline and that's ok.  I have found over the years everyone is giving their honest opinion.  Simply providing you with options.  Redline provides an option that you can test.  Put tether in and either use a stand alone good battery or use a battery jump box.  Positive directly to starter and ground negative to chassis.  If problem is still present you either have redline's option or mine.  Your original question was whether or not you would have to replace the cam?  If the motor was running prior to then why wouldn't the compression release be the problem?  If you are not sure it is the cam release, remove spark plug and valve cover.  Rotate flywheel while observing the movement of the valves.  Intake valve should move twice before full opening.  If it doesn't then your release has broken. You will figure this out and please let us know what fixed your problem.         

Offline s.jenkins

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 07:25:21 pm »
Thank you. I have stated before. I have removed the sump. I know the spring is broke. I have a new battery, but have also tried jumping directly to the starter. replaced the starter with another known good one. Spins freely with plug removed. motor was starting and running well until spring broke. And this is set up as a CPR class mower, not a grass cutter. As stated before, lash is set correctly.
I recently posted this question, I have cams from a 28ci and a 31 ci with good springs. They both have 579 stamped on the cam. Are they interchangeable? I appreciate your non judgemental comments. I,m not an idiot.
Thank you tes27

Offline tes27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 07:32:51 pm »
That was never my intent.  And if I came across that way, I apologize.  I too race a 3650 rpm class here in Virginia.  I will take your model numbers and let you know if they are compatible.  Give a little time.

Offline s.jenkins

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 07:41:25 pm »
Thank you sir. I was not referenceing your comments. You were very helpful
S.Jenkins

Offline tes27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 07:53:24 pm »
31A607, part #793880:  28N707, part #790400.  I would say no to your cams being compatible.  I'm guessing you will need one from a model 31 or 33.  B&S uses the fifth digit of model number to indicate oil filter or no.  "0" indicates no filter and "7" has an oil filter which requires the cam end to be notched for the pump.  Not sure if the notched cam will work in your motor.  www.partstree.com is a great site for finding part numbers.  Keep us informed when you get this fixed.