Author Topic: Command Twin Vertical Shaft Oil Pan Gasket keeps blowing out  (Read 4888 times)

Offline palskidoo

• View Profile
Hello all!

Had a race this past Friday night and, for the second time, the oil pan gasket blew out right behind the oil filter. This happened the first time a week earlier. Found out the bolts close to the oil filter were loose so I replaced the gasket, added some RTV and made sure to properly torque all the pan bolts. However the gasket blew out again.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The engine crank case is still vented and not clogged. The oil pressure, based on my gauge, is about 35-40 psi at WOT.

planning on taking the pan and block down to nothing and having them resurfaced flat so they mate together well. However if there is a simpler solution, I'm all ears! 

Gun It N Run It
#49H

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Command Twin Vertical Shaft Oil Pan Gasket keeps blowing out
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:20:44 pm »
I know a guy who had this issue with Vanguard's. His engine plate/ frame was twisting. Welding some flat stock around the underside and drilling the mount holes through it corrected it in his case.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline fx28

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 01:27:09 pm »
For the sumps that use a gasket I use the rigid silicone around the o ring area. regular silicone just wont work. also torque sump bolts  down and then loosen up and retorque. I would recommend a little blue Loctite on bolts with retorque.

Offline palskidoo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 03:27:03 pm »
UPDATE!

When the oil pan I was using had the centering hollow pin missing at the oil passage up to the block. The motor did not have one originally, or it must have fallen out, before I put the engine back together. Either way, I looked at my "old" kohler engine and saw the was infact supposed to be a centering pin in. So I put the pin into my current motor and shes been great.

Side Thought: When did Kohler change/update the design of their oil pans? My first engine, which I believe is younger than my current engine, has an additional groove cut in the gasket surface opposite the oil filter and the centering pin has an additional counter bore for the oring that come with the oil pan gasket. The current motor I am running did not have either of there features. I have since put the younger oil pan on to fix my leaking oil problem.